cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MagneShade Owners

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
How much wind is too much? What is the highest wind you have been in? Have you ever lost your MagneShade Windshield cover?
30 REPLIES 30

subtroll
Explorer
Explorer
We've enjoyed our magna shade several years all over the country...never had any wind concern. Walkers in nearly every RV park stop and look at our shade and many ask where to get one. If we were on commission our shade would be paid for. Certainly one of our best improvements.
2004 National Tropi-cal Sterling 396
2003 Jeep Liberty

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
Today we installed our new MagnaShade. Step one completed. The shade is on the rig, we are expecting warm weather here for the next week so we'll let it sit this weeks and do the final magnet placement next week. Fit is good, I m looking forward to our first trip out with this new accessory. I think i should have done this a couple years ago. It will be nice to have reasonable privacy while having light and visibility unlike using the night curtain. No more dark cave feeling!
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Trackrig wrote:
AllegroD wrote:
I have arthritus, knee and back surgeries, Placing order today.

You may want to have someone else install them. Been there done that (twice).

Bill

Thanks. Do have some friends that will help.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Maybe because of the way I framed my question about wind and losing a shade. Ours will be an external install. We do have a couple of hotspots that we need to block sun outside. We already have solar and blackout MCD shades on all windows.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
A bit surprised no one has mentioned but you can install the shade on the inside of the coach. Doesn't work very well blocking heat but during cooling months of the year that might not be a bad problem but you'll still have the privacy the shape provides.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
AllegroD wrote:
I have arthritus, knee and back surgeries, Placing order today.

You may want to have someone else install them. Been there done that (twice).

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

gonervn501
Explorer
Explorer
I have my Magna Shades for 2 years and never have had a wind problem. We have been in wind gusts to 40 miles an hour (so they said) and never had a problem. We were in Iowa last year when a big storm came through. We had flag poles torn off, awnings flipped over and a lot of other stuff like chairs. I never had an issue with the Magna Shade. I used the wiper covers and the shade is under the wipers. I also have their wheel covers which I love and are really easy to put on and stay on.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
I have arthritus, knee and back surgeries, so, Yes, $500 (actually more, since I will order side window and storage bag) is worth it to not have to drag out a ladder climb and twist. That is why I looked at this and why we have a Allegro 36LA. Roughing it Very smoothly. The idea is to reduce those type of activities so I can enjoy more. If it was 10+ years ago, I would not have spent the money I did, on what I have and for those reasons.

I appreciate all of you for taking the time to make me aware and feel better about this purchase. Thanks to all for the responses. Placing order today.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agree with previous posters - if you encounter a wind strong enough to pull a magneshade off, you have much, much more serious issues to worry about. Due to the way Magneshade is designed (mesh material, VERY strong magnets holding it at several places onto windshield), it is very, very difficult for wind to ever pull one off.

We bought a Magneshade for our MH as soon as we got the MH home, back in 2012. Been 3 years now, and its always worked great. Wind has never even budged it, and we camp frequently at the beach where there are some pretty strong winds.

You really can't beat it - Goes on and off very easily and quickly without having to climb up on anything, no ugly snaps to deal with, completely transparent from inside, yet very effective at blocking sun light and heat. I wouldn't want to camp with a MH in a lot of sunlight without one.

As for the theft risk: You leave a magneshade on a MH when its parked in storage, you kinda are asking for it, not much mercy for anyone that does that. Ours stays folded up in a storage bin when we're not camping. The magneshade only comes out and goes on when we're camping. Never had or heard of a theft of these happening, when a MH is at a campground, camping.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

rcmiller32
Explorer
Explorer
The bigger problem than wind, might be when it is at a storage lot. Very easy for someone to take it a run. Talked to one owner that had his go missing when at a dealers storage lot. Could nor say if someone took it or it was blown away by the wind.
2014 Coachmen Pursuit 31BDP
2016 Ford C-Max Energi
Member FROG, FMCA, Life Member Good Sam Club, Member Coachmen Owners Association

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I have used my Magneshade for the last 3 years in the southwest and never had any issue at all. I really love them. Yes, they are expensive but for us, they are well worth it. They are easy to put up and take down and roll up nicely into their storage bag when not in use. They really help keep the coach cooler.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Magneshades are actually a mesh so if the wind is blowing hard enough to pull it off the magnets you have bigger problems then loosing the shade.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
But $500 ?
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the replies. Want them because I have bad back and knees. Want something fairly easy to put on. I am ordering and was under the impression that they could withstand quite a bit of wind. You are confirming that. I have a couple of sites where gusts can be pretty strong. Will use the wiper covers with wipers on the outside for additional support.

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I had five MSs on my previous coach. We went all over the Gulf Coast to include windy Texas, never had a problem.
2014 American Eagle