cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New battery time, HELP !!

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
My house batteries (4-6V batteries) are a little over 3 years old. They don't hold a charge for very long anymore, so I guess it's time to change them. They are Interstate Deep Cycle batteries. Printed on the batteries are .........Interstate Deep Cycle Extreme GC2-XHD-UTL
122mins @75amp 232AH
Looking for suggestions on batteries to replace them. I can do the work myself. New Interstates are a about $160.00. Thanks
Brian
16 REPLIES 16

Freightguy
Explorer
Explorer
I had my old ones for 9 years, they did not fail until the last year obviously. Good maintenance and they will last. I got the Trojans also and paid $90.00 each.
2009 American Tradition 42P
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimted

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
Sam's club or Costco if you are a member, Sam's is more likely to have em in stock, Costco less depending on the store,, GC-2's are a good choice

My Interstates lasted 9 years, why yours are failing in 3 needs to be figured out.

He's right. Three years sounds suspect. I had the t-105's, they lasted 6 years, replaced with interstates, going on 4 years. I think the 105's lasted longer than the Interstates while dry camping on house batteries only. Check your system out first.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Try to recover the batteries you have.

1. check electrolyte level--make sure it is covering the plates.

2. charge to 100%

3. equalize

4. fill with distilled water to proper level.

5. cycle to 50%

6. repeat 2 and 3.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Three years on Interstates seem awfully short and your price of 160.00 seems excessive.

My interstates lasted 7 years in our previous coach and were still OK. Replaced them for less than 100.00 ea.

As was suggested, try an equalizing charge first but also check your inverter charge settings to make sure you are treating them properly. If you also install a battery fill system all of the problems associated with lead acid batteries go away so keeping them topped off with water is a piece of cake.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

golfman_1
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought 4 deep cell golf cart GC2 batteries from Sams for 84 each.
2000 Mountain Aire 4093 Double slide DP"the Dreamweaver"

2001 Honda Odyssey

Retired and living life to the max.

See you on the road.

ROYBUCK
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced my Interstate Batteries about a year ago, the last ones lasted 7 years. Roy
Roy B Coal Miners Son
USMC Ret
Semper Fi

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Try DEKA batteries. I've used them and they seem to last every bit as long as, say, Interstate.
I get 3 years on average on all my RV batteries. (I think I was told that Sams' Club 6V batteries ARE DEKA.)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sam's club or Costco if you are a member, Sam's is more likely to have em in stock, Costco less depending on the store,, GC-2's are a good choice

My Interstates lasted 9 years, why yours are failing in 3 needs to be figured out.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rondeb
Explorer
Explorer
Costco's brand is rated one of the best batteries on the market. We have used them for years.

BillyandKris
Explorer
Explorer
We have never had good luck with any Interstate batteries. We are switching to Trojan.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Interstate DEALER actually did not recommend Interstate 6 Vs, when I was shopping for them. I got Trojan T105s and they are very good. Of course you do have to pay attention to charging them correctly and not discharging them too far.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Greyghost
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to look at Interstate AGM's. I just installed twonewcoach batteries and I'm very pleased.
Pat & Roger Fisher
2005 American Tradition 40W
2012 Honda CRV EX-L 2WD,
Jewel, Clifford and Thor - Bouvier Des Flandres

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
6v battery recommendation
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I have good luck with 6 volters from Costco, around $80 each.
I also updated my converter with a newer model with Charge Wizard.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker