cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

newby to motorhomes

WETSNAIL
Explorer
Explorer
I presently have a tow behind and I amconsidering upgrading to a motorhome. I am thinking of a class A but do not know enoughg to make a decision on options. Any ideas where to begin. Gas/diesel, length, other options?

Thanks,
Cork
13 REPLIES 13

1BryNelson
Explorer
Explorer
"Sponge of kids as we visit them". Why oh why does that sound nice.
Bry Nelson and a yet to be discovered MoHo momma. '99 Pace Arrow Vision 37ft F53 chassis (plugs tightened) Allure flooring, 15k BTU front a/c , 6-6 volt batts with 1120 watts of solar Magnum inverter Remote BMK Trace C40 2005 Ford Ranger "Toad on a pad".

Bill_N1
Explorer
Explorer
WETSNAIL wrote:
I am thinking about may 1/2 time touring the U.S. No kids going, just the wife and I, but visiting kids all over U.S. I like the size and some options available. Any advise on used class A's?

We were in the same predicament as you only a couple of months ago and decided on a used Class A. After a lot of looking, we decided it had to be a Winnebago of some sort because of the strength of the company (no bankruptcy) and the fantastic support you can get with parts, even for coaches back to their earliest models. After looking all over we found exactly what we wanted but it had been sold earlier that day; however the buyer was also diagnosed with Alzheimers the same day and was thinking of backing out of the deal. Meanwhile, we were waiting on the sidelines for 3 days before he decided to keep it. That sent us back on the hunt, again for a Winnebago Adventurer and we found the one we wanted only 50 miles away. It is a 2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U and looks brand new inside. Has not been used in two years, 42,000 miles, stored in a shed all it's life and one owner who, at 82 years of age, was told by his doctor to quit going to Texas in the winter. He has maintained it in perfect condition not hesitated to make repairs when needed as he provided the receipts. New tires also. We paid about $2000 more than intended but he included a lot of extras including a towbar and a lot of accessories. So keep your eye out for what you want, once you decide on what that is. Best time to buy is now - middle of winter - when sellers want to get rid of them but don't expect much action. One of our major problems was not the motorhome or the condition but the amount of sales tax we had to figure into the deal. Our state/county has a 8 percent sales tax on any used vehicle and that adds up on a big purchase. We are retired so this is taking a chunk right out of savings but our plans are the same as your - sponge off the kids as we visit them.:)
Bill in Missouri
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse Chassis, 8.1 V8 Vortec, Allison Tranny
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
USAF (Ret)

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I have had two stationary generators and neither required to crawl under to change fluid...all done from outside.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
My biggest gripe is the wasted floor space in some Motorhomes. You probably need to go to a show and check out several. Size really matters. I'd look for 22.5 inch tires, good air conditioner as it gets HHH in LA and most other places can get worse. Storage is important, convienience of dump and propane fill, maintenence ports and I highly recommend a rear engine, pusher, with a slideout tray for the generator. Otherwise you are crawling under to cchange fluids.

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
Floor plan, size, features, usage and budget are all part of the equation. The really big dogs drive a million dollar plus DP like a Prevost. Everything else is a step down from there. Whatever you buy depreciation will be a big bite, the more expensive the bigger the bite. Just like cars you can save buying used. But then you may eat some big items like new tires or major repairs. Average RV owner drives less than 6k per year. If you fall into that category then dropping big bucks on a DP may be a budget buster. The new gassers are quieter than they used to be, ride decent and can be had fully loaded and up to 38' for 125 to 150k. A good DP will be 300k plus or minus. Most non RV owners don't know the difference between a big gasser with full body paint vs a DP so the rooty/snooty factor only applies amongst fellow class A owners. Budget and floor plan are probably tops for average income folks. Full timers or fat wallets can justify whatever they want. None are cheap to own and operate. Fuel alone will cost you 40 to 50 cents a mile to drive a class A. And if you finance those payments still come in the mail when the coach is just sitting. Its a nice fantasy but the cost of fun has gone way up over the years. I can own what I want free and clear, but I chose a big gasser loaded with features because I average only 4k miles a year now and only live in it a few weeks. Back when I was younger and traveled all over the country I had a big Montana 5ver and loved it. But that's a whole different story.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. 🙂

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
jauguston wrote:
Drive what you are looking at. A big part of the decision will be the floor plan your wife likes. If you don't want to spend the money for a Diesel Pusher don't drive one. That driving experience will ruin you for gas coaches. The better ride and not having a noisy engine along side of you makes a huge difference. Been there - done that (-:

ROTFLMFAO!!!!

A: After a few years of experience, I totally agree. That first drive in a DP may have you hooked, but...

B: when first shopping for my first motorhome, just for grins I did a test run in an Allegro RED 40 footer...
I'd never even been in one moving before, it scared me to death, and I just let the salesman drive it.

Today, after 3 years in a 36' gasser, our 40' DP is like home to me. My favorite vehicle of all time to drive, and I could thread a needle with it and give you change....

More info from the OP?
Gonna stay a camper or just buying for this one trip?
Budget?
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
If your planning on travaling the US then I would not go any smaller than a 30'.Class A if your comfortable driving one, it will offer the most in-transit room. If the Class A is too much to handle, then definitly a Class C would be the next and would be the way to go. They are quite nimble in getting in and out of tight spots.
If you go for one with a slide make sure that you can access all with slide in, otherwise you might need to extend the slide in order to gain access to drawers, closets, bathrm.. Kinda hard to do when cruising down the road
I argree with the diesel test drive, once you go for a test drive in a DP, all other RVs will pale in comparrsion.
We started looking to replace our 30' class A gasser with a 34 to 36ft class A gas. The family called it the Great American RV hunt. We searched and looked for about a year before finding the one for us.
Ended up buying a DP,it wasn't what we planned on buying, but the options and the price drove us to buy it.(and I made the mistake in test driving her)
If you buy from the dealer, make sure you check thier reputation as it seems quite a few dealers will tell you whatever you want to hear until you sign papers. It wouild also be smart in checking with the local BBB. Make sure that all agreed on; is done to your satisfaction before accepting it
Good Luck we went from a TT to a class C to a Class A, and will never go back to the TT(although maybe a fiver)
"You never fail until you stop trying!!"
My advice is free but I do consider donations

jauguston
Explorer
Explorer
Drive what you are looking at. A big part of the decision will be the floor plan your wife likes. If you don't want to spend the money for a Diesel Pusher don't drive one. That driving experience will ruin you for gas coaches. The better ride and not having a noisy engine along side of you makes a huge difference. Been there - done that (-:
2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
A 32 footer class A was my first RV and it was the perfect size for wife and I, for short trips, I was still working. If traveling a lot during your six months perhaps a diesel might be better. It's all about what you want.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

1BryNelson
Explorer
Explorer
The only way I was able to start eliminating different types was to go and spend time looking and sitting in them trying to decide what I would use and not. I had a come-a-long for several years then went Lance Slide-in in 99. Last year after looking for 3 yrs I bought Class A gas. I'm going full time, I wanted ciomfort but not alot of fluff.
Bry Nelson and a yet to be discovered MoHo momma. '99 Pace Arrow Vision 37ft F53 chassis (plugs tightened) Allure flooring, 15k BTU front a/c , 6-6 volt batts with 1120 watts of solar Magnum inverter Remote BMK Trace C40 2005 Ford Ranger "Toad on a pad".

WETSNAIL
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking about may 1/2 time touring the U.S. No kids going, just the wife and I, but visiting kids all over U.S. I like the size and some options available. Any advise on used class A's?

summerhouse
Explorer
Explorer
A lot depends on budget, but mostly it depends on what your usage is going to be. Once you find out which type RV best fits your usage needs, you can usually find something that will fit your budget (within reason of course). A little older unit will get it in a reasonable budget.
Class A's are wonderful, but what are your reasons for choosing one? Will it really best fit your rv'ing needs? Often times a Class C is best when rv'ing with kids, unless you go with the bunk style Class A.
In my opinion, the best way to narrow a search to one type of RV, is to read this forum inside out, that is what I did.
Keep us posted, keep asking questions, and keep reading the forum!
“Light hearted I take to the open road… Healthy, free, the world before me… The long brown path before me leading me wherever I choose.” - Walt Whitman

Go_Dawgs1
Explorer
Explorer
What are your uses going to be. Full time, weekend camping, short trips, or a few times a year. If usage is high then diesel will be the way to go, if only for camping and the sort then a gas model will work for cost. Diesel will run $$$$ more than gas. As for size you need to look around and be inside and see which layout will work for you. Go to as many RV shows you can and sit inside.

Define your usage and that will help.
2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS