Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem hearing alarms.

Heapie
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks,

I brought up this topic over a year ago, but did not get a good answer.

I am hard of hearing and use hearing aids. My hearing problem is with the high sounds, so I do not hear the alarms when I do not have my hearing aids in when I am sleeping. I have addressed this problem to various government agencies and the NFPA, with out getting any satisfaction. Most have the head in the sand answer.

I have thought that I might find a loud alarm in a Radio Shack or You Do It Electronics and try to wire it to the existing alarm.

Has anybody with the same problem found an answer. I am enough scared of propane that I now turn off all the propane when sleeping.

Heapie.
15 REPLIES 15

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a device for that. It has four legs and a tail and will let me know if any alarm goes off or if someone knocks on the door.

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
willi4nd wrote:
Both my parents, sister and half my extended family are deaf. You can get flashers that will adapt to everything. Check this site: https://www.harriscomm.com/

link isnt working....
Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
Both my parents, sister and half my extended family are deaf. You can get flashers that will adapt to everything. Check this site: https://www.harriscomm.com/
New to the RV world and loving every minute of it.
2015 Nissan Frontier 4x4 6 cyl
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22

babun
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.walmart.com/ip/17402400?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227015518994&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40875711152&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78766380632&veh=sem

http://www.walmart.com/ip/17402400?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227015518994&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=4...

Heapie
Explorer
Explorer
I contacted both the National Fire Prevention Association and Walter Kiddie Company. Never heard from them. No legislation, no products.

Heapie

babun
Explorer
Explorer
Just saw a "talking" fire alarm in wallyworld. made by Kidde Co.

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
drsolo wrote:
Two work arounds I can think of besides those posted. First train a dog or get a dog trained to jump and paw all over you when one of those alarms goes off. Alarms that trigger an ipad or android that flashes. I would go with the dog, doesnt run out of batteries and they dont get mad if you arent wearing your hearing aids.

A good idea! Every small dog we've had has gone nuts when a smoke alarm went off, no training needed. :W

One of those would darned sure get your attention.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

babun
Explorer
Explorer
You need to talk to a Fire alarm company. The problem is that very few propane detectors have what is known as "Interconnect capability". This is the wiring needed to send an alarm signal to another device {of your needs or choosing}.
Large fire alarm companies deal with this feature every day.
A good tech could set up a relay/circuit to warn you in a manner that suits your
hearing.

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
Two work arounds I can think of besides those posted. First train a dog or get a dog trained to jump and paw all over you when one of those alarms goes off. Alarms that trigger an ipad or android that flashes. I would go with the dog, doesnt run out of batteries and they dont get mad if you arent wearing your hearing aids.
Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion

mkguitar
Explorer
Explorer
I work with electronics- and 37 years on the road with rock bands and my motorcycle riding has affected my hearing.( just a bit!).

My solution would be to tap into the existing alarm and use a relay to trigger another device- whether a "shaker' or a strobe light...which would be more "universal", changing frequency of the siren/buzzer/beeper wouldn't do much for those who are deaf.

This would not be difficult or expensive.

smoke and c/o alarms are readily available at retail, so propane seems to be the one which needs to be addressed

Mike

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bet if you find a good electronics tech they can modify the propane alarm to sound a different frequency.
It may cost you some money bet I feel a good tech will figure something for you.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Smoke, Fire, CO Alarms for Hearing Impaired

AS for the LP Detector.........none of the mfg. make one

BUT.
A 12V DC Solenoid valve on propane main that trips close when alarm goes off.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Halibut214
Explorer
Explorer
This has long been a sore spot with me. In addition to all the **** and yes I did say **** the ADA has mandated everyone do they don't seem to address hearing loss at all. I can hear practically NONE of my alarms in my motorhome, in my house or in my car. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the vast majority of people that have hearing loss is high frequency but yet almost every alarm we have is just that, HIGH frequency! They do in fact have fire alarms with a strobe light that may or may not wake you but why in the hell they don't have different frequency or adjustable frequency alarms I'll never know. I know that didn't answer your question but as someone that wears two hearing aids I can certainly understand where your coming from.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same issue. Fortunately, my DW has great hearing and will shake me to wake me up if needed. For those that don't have this option, you can consider a "bed shaker" alarm similar to the one I link to below. It has a microphone that detects another alarm going off such as a fire alarm, LP detector alarm, CO alarm, etc. Once it detects an alarm, it will vibrate the bed to wake you up. They are not 100% foolproof, but will add a layer of protection you may not have now.

Bed Shaker Alarm

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)