Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sprinter 4x4 coming for 2015

kendall69
Explorer
Explorer
Game changer - Sprinter 4x4 coming for 2015
4x4 Sprinter 2015
Owned (1) Class A (2) class C (1) truck camper looking at a Class (B)
New proud Owner of a 2014 Phoenix Cruiser 2400
16 REPLIES 16

gerrym51
Explorer II
Explorer II
nomad 289 wrote:
Envisioning a DIY camper-van, these Factory options look intriguing:

1. 4x4 low + mud/snow tires.
2. Engine high-idle + 2nd battery (combine with 2000W inverter + aux. alternator); ~eliminate need for generator.
3. 17,000BTU fuel powered engine heater runs for 60 mins. and warms coolant/interior heater. (~Espar type?)
4. Rear heater prep. = heater lines to rear. (could add heat exchanger for hot water and/or rear heat)
5. Bandpass windshield (blocks UV/heat).

Ideally would like to eliminate need for propane and generator. Ideas not fully baked...

just remember-idling a diesel at high idle or not-does tend to clog egr valves and dpf sooner.a lot of idling in generalis tough on a diesels emissions controls sytem-it does not hurt the engine though.

kendall69
Explorer
Explorer
Not a problem with high center here

http://youtu.be/ZQeFsTwu8p8

http://youtu.be/dGja-FhPq0Y

I've been off roading for 50 years and everything gets high centered under the right conditions. I was able to high center a Jeep, a Hummer H1, and most other off road capable vehicles. I don't think people will buy the AWD Sprinter and hope to hill climb in Moab or the Rubicon.

It is what it is - a BONUS to the Sprinter that will get it into areas that it currently can't get into, and be a great snow and ski van.

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
Nice rig. Would need to tow a small trailer behind it with dry/wet bath, kitchen(decent size), wider sleeping quarters and so on. Looks like a camper for camping not rving much more than a day or so.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
The higher clearance will make it easier to fit a PowerTech genset right in front of the hitch. That way, you can have 3000 watts of diesel and the generator will be well out of the way of the departure angle, and by adding a skid wheel to the tow hitch, if the angle isn't enough, the hitch will take the pummeling, not the generator case.

Just FYI, May 5 is when the initial orders for 2015 Sprinters are being taken, and they will be here in October for 2WD, 4WD models likely in December or January of 2015.

The rear heater prep is interesting, especially when used with the Espar MCS 16, because on shore power, you still get on-demand hot water and warm air. On the road, the engine coolant provides that. I don't see it offered by Sportsmobile, but it would be an interesting thing to have.

nomad_289
Explorer
Explorer
Envisioning a DIY camper-van, these Factory options look intriguing:

1. 4x4 low + mud/snow tires.
2. Engine high-idle + 2nd battery (combine with 2000W inverter + aux. alternator); ~eliminate need for generator.
3. 17,000BTU fuel powered engine heater runs for 60 mins. and warms coolant/interior heater. (~Espar type?)
4. Rear heater prep. = heater lines to rear. (could add heat exchanger for hot water and/or rear heat)
5. Bandpass windshield (blocks UV/heat).

Ideally would like to eliminate need for propane and generator. Ideas not fully baked...

Bigdog57
Explorer
Explorer
Without decent All-terrain tires and more ground clearance, it's not going far off pavement. That long wheelbase will increase the chance of high-centering too. Good first try, but not fully thought out yet.

nomad_289
Explorer
Explorer
4x4 will be raised 4.3" up front and 3.1" in back resulting in a 20% better approach/departure angle. An unexpected bonus.

4x4

jrobe
Explorer
Explorer
I would almost be more interested in higher ground clearance than AWD. A 4WD van with low ground clearance may be a little better in snow but it isn't going on a lot of Forest Service Roads (especially with low and exposed water tanks and generators).

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
bobojay5 wrote:
It's a full time AWD setup and will be available in all wheelbases and capacities, 15, 25 & 3500 chassis.
This according to Dave the Sprinter Guy in Austin, TX. He sells Sportsmobile all their Sprinters.
Certainly not a heavy duty 4wd setup

Correct, more like a factory Sportsmobile.

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
It's a full time AWD setup and will be available in all wheelbases and capacities, 15, 25 & 3500 chassis.
This according to Dave the Sprinter Guy in Austin, TX. He sells Sportsmobile all their Sprinters.
Certainly not a heavy duty 4wd setup
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Sweet!
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer

kendall69
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think it's going to be a "traditional" 4x4 with low lock etc, but sure will be nice in the snow and some back roads and even on some beaches. Definitely will expand the range. Can you imagine a diesel, class B from the factory without having to put on non oem 4x4.
As far as towing, it won't be great, but I don't think any manufacturer will build the perfect RV to make everyone happy all at once.
For me, towing 7.5K is good enough, probably more than I need, but the 4x4 Class B and a diesel is making my mouth water.

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe. Maybe not. It's a hopeful sign, but I don't see any mention of the 2500 or 3500, or badging. This may be a 1500, in which case it'll make a poor base for anything but a minimalist camper van.

Jim, "Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')