cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cooking Bacon.................

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
I knew cooking bacon would get everyone's attention! I know that many of you are aware of this.....but here goes! If you pre heat your oven to 350 deg.(the thing below the stove top that was used prior to microwaves)and put your bacon in a baking dish or cast iron skillet. Turn it once with a pair of tongs after 10-15 minutes or so. The a few more minutes and it's done. No uneven heat or worrying about burning it. Then................the good part. Take the bacon out and crack your eggs into the same skillet and put it back in the oven and your eggs come out so nicely cooked. Again, no uneven cooking or Fry-Crust on the eggs.(my mom liked the fry-crust on eggs, I prefer not.) No........not heart healthy, but we are talking bacon here and the two subjects really can't blend. Since we are seldom hooked up to shore power the oven is the ticket for doing this. Also, I yanked our micro. anyway as we never used it. That made room for important storage...........Coffee!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!
44 REPLIES 44

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Bacon,like coffee, is one of those things that always stirs up opinions.

I'm simple minded, according to SWMBO. I just use a flat griddle-style pan, put it on the stove top, and cook the bacon till it's done. Plain old Oscar Mayer style bacon. Add nothing. (In an effort to be more modern, I no longer mop up the bacon grease into my bread.)

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bacon, in electric skillet, outside!

That IS the only way to cook it.

No mess inside, no lingering bacon smell and extremely easy clean up afterwords (removing bacon splatter from RV walls is nearly impossible).

By the way, double smoked bacon is my families favorite..

I take off the shelf store bought bacon and lay out slices in my smoker, liberally coat with coarse black pepper and cold smoke it..

After smoking, we vacuum pack 6 slices in a package and freeze, vacuum packing and freezing allows us to smoke a bunch in the winter and have plenty for all summer and Fall. :B

Sam' club sells extra thick cut bacon which works well for this.

sandblast
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Much prefer on my gas grill for about 7 minutes total.

X2
Also use skewers. Keeps it straight but still it ribbons.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Even worse heresy. I put 3 layers of paper towel on a plate. 4-6 slices of bacon on that. And a layer of paper towels on top. Zap it in the microwave for 3-5 minutes depending on bacon type and number of pieces. Comes out crisp, evenly cooked, and almost all grease absorbed by the paper towels.
This!

I was very lucky to have a built in microwave in the first house we bought (back in the 70s) and I always cooked bacon this way. Still do. Throw the greasy paper towels away.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Everyone has their own method that works for them. I use a cast iron reversible griddle (Lodge) for the large gatherings and a simple skillet when it's just Herself and me. When camping the reversible griddle is on our Camp Chef pro stove and the skillet is used there or on the campfire.

BTW did you know that bacon is included in several healthy weight loss diets? The key is moderation.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
The DW and I were just talking about this. We cook bacon in the oven all the time at home but the TT oven has always presented a challenge every time we have used it. The TT oven is small and tends to burn everything we cook in it. Everyone in my family loves BLTs so they are on the list for an upcoming trip. Instead of cooking bacon in the TT, I think we may buy the precooked bacon or make it at home and try freezing it.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Much prefer on my gas grill for about 7 minutes total.

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Even worse heresy. I put 3 layers of paper towel on a plate. 4-6 slices of bacon on that. And a layer of paper towels on top. Zap it in the microwave for 3-5 minutes depending on bacon type and number of pieces. Comes out crisp, evenly cooked, and almost all grease absorbed by the paper towels.

Whoa, kewl...
I'll definitely try that one...
Thanks...
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10’ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow N’ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
I know that this is heresy, but I use my Mini George Forman grill to cook bacon.

If I don't have shore power, I'll run the generator for a few minutes for my wife to make her latte with the Nespresso machine.

The GF grill cooks the bacon evenly, keeps it flat, and drains off the grease. It's an easy clean up with a damp paper towel.

That's a good idea! i will try it with bacon at home.

For a short trip---I cook a bunch of bacon up at home and take it pre-cooked. A quick heatup on the stove top or microwave is all it needs. Easier than dealing with the grease and cleanup and odor in the RV.

I usually bake bacon at home--400 degrees, with foil covering the pan for easy cleanup. Time needed depends on the thickness of the bacon.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I know that this is heresy, but I use my Mini George Forman grill to cook bacon.

If I don't have shore power, I'll run the generator for a few minutes for my wife to make her latte with the Nespresso machine.

The GF grill cooks the bacon evenly, keeps it flat, and drains off the grease. It's an easy clean up with a damp paper towel.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Love the taste of bacon but not the smell of it in the RV. We cook the bacon on the Trager and it gives a nice wood flavor and crispy.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would but I don't have one (oven) either. Might try it at home though.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tried the oven thing...she didn't like having to clean oven afterwards due to bacon splatter

And with oven door closed it minimizes the 'wafting of bacon' thru out the RV

Tried doing it outside but drew WAY TOO Many campers all of which showed up drooling
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Heheh, Oven??? Whas'Dat...

Oh?? The storage compartment below the top burners?? heheh

I wonder if cast iron with a lid might also work? Maybe not, since it would be more of a direct bottom heat...

Nice process though, something to think about...

Oh, and I like the crispy fry crust too.. same with pancakes.

I'll give it a try on top, just to see, it's all fun..
thanks.
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10’ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow N’ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website