Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Perking coffee -- how long?

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure this has been posted, but...

When using a stove top percolator, how long do you let the coffee perk?

I am big on timing everything... Years ago I decided trying 10 minutes for our 14 cup percolator (a relatively large pot). After the pot begins to perk, I turn the heat way down and let it perk for 10 minutes. Makes great coffee for me.

A friend of mine takes the pot off heat the moment he notices the water turning brown. To my taste, makes very weak coffee.

So, how long do you let your percolator perk?

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love perc coffee, missus doesn't, so I don't have it very often. I found 5-6 minutes then turning off for three to let the grounds settle makes a fine cup. I drink it straight off the pot, no cream or sugar, but do like a shot of rum in it on a cool morning at the camp site if I'm not driving.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
12 minutes. Add a couple shots of Baileys........perfect camp coffee ๐Ÿ™‚

Genny to make coffee? Really?!
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously, an impossible question to answer for someone else. The perk time depends on:

1. How strong you like it
2. How much coffee grinds you use.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

DwayneN
Explorer
Explorer
If no electricity we boil water and use a Melitta filter into an insulated pot.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
5 minutes once she's perking. Let sit for a few and then we pour through a filter into a thermos to hold the temp.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Quality_Johnson
Explorer
Explorer
8 minutes of gentle perc time, followed by 3 minutes of settling, then pour into serving cups. Any not served immediately goes in a thermos. In fact, I'll often perc a pot last thing at night, and it will sit in the thermos overnight. Then the first one up has hot coffee, no waiting, and no bothering ones still asleep. (Me.)
'93 Dutchmen 18' TT, pulled by '02 Dodge Durango 5.9

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Gonzo42 wrote:
I like mine too thick to swim in and too thin to plow. ...and lots of it.

As my father used to say, "I like it strong enough to float a horseshoe on it, with the horse still attached."

I perk coffee at the cabin (no electricity, just propane) in an enameled steel pot that is circa 20 cups (???). When we make coffee at the cabin, we do it like we mean it.....perk long enough to where it is just barely flavored enough, then keep drinking and perking (low burner) until the pot is gone. Then start another one.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
On a Navy ship the coffee can get a bit strong. Especially when they build their own kludge. This thing is loaded with beans and then live steam is passed thru it, turning the beans almost white.

Strong enough to take some skin off one's tongue.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
As you can see by the responses, the flavor and strength of coffee is a highly personal thing.
My suggestion to anyone who hasn't settled on a perk time: On a week long camping trip, keep varying the time of the perk until you get what you like. Some like it weak, some like it strong, some like it to top off their battery cells.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
We use the new fangled gas cook top to brew up the morning kaffe. It's quiet.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm.... maybe I'll let my friend off the hook a little bit about how quick he perks his coffee.

Oh, and definitely, when sitting on the porch of a hunting cabin in Vermont, EVERYTHING tastes better! (same with sitting under the awning of our camper)

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
I let mine perk for 10 minutes. Doesn't seem to get any stronger after that to my eye and taste.
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)

Pepperoni
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Geno92308 wrote:
I'm confused on the logic by those who get an inverter to run a pot of coffee in the morning.
Would it be more logical to run a generator?

It would be easier and cheaper to use a 12v coffee pot, or use the stovetop.

Most appliances can be had in 12v

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I like mine too thick to swim in and too thin to plow. ...and lots of it.

As my father used to say, "I like it strong enough to float a horseshoe on it, with the horse still attached."
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
The consensus seems to be, 'perk to taste'. Everybody likes it different. Personally I don't drink coffee very often, but when I do drink it I use an Aeropress. Recommended method with the Aeropress calls for more ground coffee than one would expect, but with a shorter infusion time of about 30 seconds. My stomach tells me it prefers this method over others, so maybe the short time results in less acidity of the drink, or something.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point