cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 10

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has anyone began the conversion to 10? Problems, comments? Do you know if it loads on top of say, 7, or replaces all of the older version?

Thanks,

Jim
156 REPLIES 156

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
W10 has fixed a problem we have had for almost a year.

Sometime last year MS did an update that had to do with networking.
After that update my scanner on the Panasonic Laser printer/scanner would
not work with W7 or W8 wireless laptops. It would only work with the XP machine
that is on the network.

Today I was printing from the W10 laptop and said what the heck, will it now scan?
Yes.
The W10 fixed a problem that neither I nor Panasonic could find an answer for.

I also checked the Privacy setting and cut off sharing I did not want.

Yes I am pleased.

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
road-runner wrote:
Windows 10 Shares Your Wi-Fi With Contacts

Bugs?

Not a bug.
You can turn it off.

Turn off the sharing

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I can't believe someone would give up on W10 after ONE day!

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Streets & Trips.. Works not.
Streets & Trips 2013 worked for me.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are a few issues with EDGE.. one was addressed in an update yesterday.. The "Menu" button is the far right icon, Choose SETTINGS and one of them (top one as I recall) is "Display favorites bar" turn it on and the favorites bar is back.

Some web sites are not playing nice with EDGE

BUT if you did an UPGRADE (as opposed to a clean install) you still have MISE on board and can still use it (I DO)

I think I posted instructions.

Right click on START icon,, Choose RUN
Type IEXPLORE.EXE (lower case is ok) press ENTER
This will open MSIE
The icon for MSIE is a bright blue lower case E (Edge is a dark blue one)
Right click on the bright blue lower case E in the task bar and choose "Pin to task bar"

Now you can re-load MSIE by clicking the icon Works great.

Streets & Trips.. Works not.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
JohnRa wrote:

I don't see how this is revolutionary.

1st the forces must be covertly positioned!

kidding.

i am still waiting. i pre-reserved W10a month or so back.
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Doesn't look a bug, looks like a "feature". More social networking. Something I can certainly live without.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JohnRa
Explorer
Explorer
I just upgraded from 8.1 to 10 last night. It bugs me that I spent all that time making the metro interface in 8.1 the way I wanted it. Upgrade to 10 and they totally rearranged and destroyed my tiles.

Haven't quite figured out all the user interface tricks yet, but as yet I don't see how this is revolutionary.

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
The wife and I both think that Windows 10 is pretty lame. In our opinion it is geared to the app generation. Yesterday, I "upgraded" my Dell XPS from 7 to 10. It took several hours to download and almost an hour to install. I dinked around with it for several hours and found it awkward and way too involved. The wife went from 8.1 which she doesn't really like but make it work to 10. She really hated 10. She had her favorite URL tiles arranged in categories. They were imported into the Hub favorites but all jumbled up. Couldn't find a way to get them from the Hub favorites to desktop tiles. Everything in 10 seemed to require more clicks than either 7 or 8.1. We both decided to give 10 the boot and return to our previous operating systems. Her return to 8.1 was pretty seamless. My return to 7 was agonizing. It took a couple of hours. The computer locked up and had to be restarted in Safe Mode. Couldn't reload Windows 7 from disk because it said I was operating a newer version already. I somehow managed to finally get it back up. I expended way too much mental energy and a month's worth of four letter words yesterday. We're thinking about buying a couple extra copies of Windows 7 and 8 for future use.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

RetiredBob
Explorer
Explorer
road-runner wrote:

Bugs?

Kill Wi-Fi sharing

By default, Windows 10 is set up to share your Internet connection over Wi-Fi. This is a nifty feature if you want it, and a dangerous one if you donโ€™t. To be on the safe side, you should probably just disable it right from the get-go.

Open the Settings app from the taskbar or Start Menu, then open Change Wi-Fi settings and click Manage Wi-Fi settings. Now, uncheck all the boxes under โ€œFor networks I select, share them with.โ€

You may also want to slide the toggles to off underneath โ€œConnect to suggested open hotspotsโ€ and โ€œConnect to networks shared by my contacts.โ€

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
@FIRE UP: I assume you're talking about using Edge? For me, everything is identical (to the way it was on W7) for Chrome, FF or IE browsers.

Under Edge, click/tap Settings then Show The Favorites Bar = ON

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
One more thing, on 8, I had various places I could click on to go "HOME". So far, I seen no way to exit RV.net or any other forum by hitting "home" (little House) etc. I know I'm new at this 10 thing and, am slowly figuring things out but, sometimes a little help would really be appreciated.
Scott
There is no home button on the toolbar by default. In the upper right click the icon with 3 dots, select Settings => View Advanced Settings => Enable "Show the home button"
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LMM CC/SB 4x4 LTZ
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
road-runner wrote:

Bugs?

I think Krebs is blowing this out of proportion. I don't see this as an issue. If you don't want to do this then don't enable it. He claims it's on by default, but that seems to be incorrect.
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LMM CC/SB 4x4 LTZ
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Wait until December, then the bugs may be worked out.