cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are those black tank cleaning wands worth it?

DatacomGuy
Explorer
Explorer
You know the kind.. $15-20, attach to a hose.. I'm assuming used through the toilet to clean the black tank.

Worth it? Any better techniques to keeping the blank tank clean?
2015 Shadow Cruiser 280QBS | 2015 Ford Expedition XLT HD Tow
Equal-i-zer E4 12K# WDH
51 REPLIES 51

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, they worth it .but have to use it almost every time u dump.
So when I get half a tank on anything, or 3/4, take and fill up the rest with water, and do the dump thing . Works for me , now it's all happy-camping

stratcat
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Walmart down the toilet wand. DW watches the clear extension on the drain hose until the water runs clear. I drain and clean every trip, leaving anything in tank in AZ can cause major problems due to evaporation during the summer heat.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Fresno Tundra Driver wrote:
Are they worth it? Yes,for people with OCD. For everyone else just always use plenty of water and you'll be ok.

X2
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

MFinCA
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
... No need to spend $15-$20 for one. Here is the one we have been using for years....
I have one of those as well and it does the job. I have been staying in my TT for about a year now. I'm using it as an apartment for my job. It is parked at a RV park. I go home on the weekends. I use a Flush King when I dump the black tank. But there is a lip just below the drain hole in the toilet and it gets pretty grungy over time. So I use the "Barney" rinser from time to time to get it clean.:)
MFinCA
2004 Homestead Settler 255RS
2004 Ford F-350, SRW, 6.0L Diesel

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I installed a black tank flush on our last 2 trailers. I thought about a wand, but decided that the permanently installed tank flush is much easier and cleaner. Plus the sensors have always worked perfect. I have a low point in my tanks and I believe that some "stuff" stays in that spot without the tank flusher. I like my "stuff" clean! :B
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
wanderingbob wrote:
I have never understood why you feel that your black tank must be so dern clean .
This site has spent many ,many hours discussing this . Why must it be scrubbed out when dumping . I know not , but hurry up cause I have got to use it .

It's not so much about being a clean freak, but over time w/o using something like the wand you will get a build up of stuff inside the tank and especially on the sensors making them inoperative completely. I have found using the wand at least gives me partial use of the sensors most of the time, especially the 1/2 and 3/4 ones ... the 1/3 light is almost always on and might be from just a poor location.

This is sort of like washing and waxing a vehicle which is really not needed long term, but most still do it and usually a lot more often than even needed.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
I have never understood why you feel that your black tank must be so dern clean .
This site has spent many ,many hours discussing this . Why must it be scrubbed out when dumping . I know not , but hurry up cause I have got to use it .

I like to know that if I had too in an emergency, my black tank is clean enough to drink out of. ๐Ÿ™‚
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

GMT830
Explorer
Explorer
It's pretty comical how much effort people put into cleaning the black tank. Dump it only when it's full, no troubles.
Lena - 02 Yukon XL Denali
TT - Wilderness 29L

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
... No need to spend $15-$20 for one. Here is the one we have been using for years....
That is the one I have been using too. I use it about twice a season so my tank monitors show the correct level twice a season.

Only word of caution, don't trust that plastic shutoff valve. I use a metal garden hose shutoff connected to it.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
Absolutely are valuable when you need it. We never needed one,until we got a paper clog once. 3 minutes with the wand down the john and viola problem is flushed.
Like having a spare tire,90% of the time it just sits,but when you need it you need it.

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used one this winter in Texas on the "pyramid" and it was worth it's weight in gold when my stool was backing up into the bowl!

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes - they are. Buy a clear sewer elbow connection and you can see what color the water is that's coming out of the black tank. I bring a seperate hose to hook to the city water and wand my black tank out after every trip. It sometimes takes more than once to see non colored water(not brown).
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

bsbeedub
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
DatacomGuy wrote:

Camping world has a faucet connection kit.. $8 on sale.. Hooks the wand right up to the faucet, instead of running a hose around. Seems worth it.

Don't waste your time or money on this useless piece of junk.

I was given one and it was more than worthless,the sink faucet does not have the pressure to do any good with the wand.

While I can see your point, I disagree. When you are using the sink connection you also have to have the toilet valve open so you can insert the wand which causes an immediate drop in water volume and pressure. I installed a shut off valve in the line leading to the toilet and the pressure and volume returns making this item perfect for the job.
It was also the first time I ever used the tool to cut the plumbing in the TT. I was mildly nervous about it but it turned out to be a very simple job.
Bob & Susan
Shelby the Beagle June 8, 2005 - Dec. 24, 2016
2018 Ram 3500 6.4 HEMI, long bed, 4.10โ€™s
2021 Coachman Chaparral Lite 25 RE
2011 Gulfstream Ameri-Lite 23BW - retired
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 - retired

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
After the junk Camco wand blew apart, and soaked everything, I built my own wand from CPVC. I used a washing machine hose that has a 90 degree bend on one end so that it can be easily attached to the sink faucet. Using the faucet allows hot water for better cleaning. To prevent back splash, I also added a large PVC end cap, with a hole drilled in the center, that adjusts to where it nearly touches the toilet.