cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you bleach / santize your hot water tank?

slacker_cruster
Explorer
Explorer
I've always just done the cold water system. And only every few years at that since I don't drink it. I had read someone bleached the hot water tank too. What do you recommend?
46 REPLIES 46

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
If your using city water, why are you worried about sanitizing your water system? It's already in the water your using.DAH

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I only sanitize when I first by a rig...new/used.

Guess I would do it again IF some how got contaminated but haven't had that happen......don't fill with untreated water

We only use fresh water tank/pump....and we use that water for everything
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I too have never sanitized the water system in any camper. We do drink and cook with the water. Many RV parks and campgrounds have enough chlorine in the water to do the job. We have never sanitized the water system in our house in over 30 years and there is no chlorine there.

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
I have Full Timed in my MH since July 2002 and I do drink the water from the fresh tank, use it for cooking etc.

In all that time I have never sanitize the system. A lot of the campgrounds I go to use city water that has chlorine in the water. And in the winter I use well water that is not treated.

As a halogen, chlorine is a highly efficient disinfectant, and is added to public water supplies to kill disease-causing pathogens, such as bacteria, viruses, and protozoans, that commonly grow in water supply reservoirs, on the walls of water mains and in storage tanks.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

slacker_cruster
Explorer
Explorer
I was worried the bleach would interact with the hot tank, so that was what was holding me back.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I sanitize the entire system once a year, then fill the tank with our well water. Most of the campgrounds we go to also have well water.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
How do you sanitize just the hot water system? This is a new one on me.

Seems that if you put bleach into the fresh water tank and then run water from it through all the faucets including the hot side (which puts bleach into the water heater), you sanitize the entire system.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not once in 30 years. The occasional treated city water does the job.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Nope. Drain it every time. But we don't drink the water we just use it for showers, dishes etc. We carry bottled water for drinking and cooking. Bleach is more caustic than just draining it. And if you fill it with city water, it's already got chlorine/chloramine in it anyway. So what's the point?
2013 ACE 29.2

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
Never have in 15 years. Just drain the water heater at the end of each trip. Never had a problem.
E.Lee Galik

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, we do it all.

mbrooking
Explorer
Explorer
Always do and just did...
2010 Winnebago Journey 40L - Current
2019 Newmar Mountain Aire 4018 on order
2014 Honda CRV - Towed

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Always do the water heater as well.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
We sanitize while still in WH bypass mode. We will rinse the system a couple of times before we do the final rinse using baking soda and draining the WH tank each time seemed over-kill. No problems yet.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^yep.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board