cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting ready for a trip.

HeeHawHoney
Explorer
Explorer
We are getting ready to load the RV with the necessities for our Labor Day weekend at the beach. I am not looking forward to the packing process. When I am lugging bags, and laundry baskets, of supplies out of the house, is when one of the benefits of being full-time is very apparent.

My question is this:

Do any of you have any tips that make loading the RV a little easier?
"The Hilton"
2002 Jayco 3100SS
Brett and Tracy and Bella (The Beautiful Bulldog)
My Blog - Alabama Overdrive
Pic of "The Hilton"
Pic of "The Beautiful Bulldog"
Pic of Brett and Tracy
38 REPLIES 38

Sillybugs2
Explorer
Explorer
We keep towels, bedding and all kitchen stuff all the time in rv. Camp chairs, rafts, grill etc we also use at home. Takes us only an hour or so to load clothes, food , chairs etc in it if rushing. Usually though we load leisurely since we park it a day ahead to get fridge cold.
2016 Hideout 28BHSWE
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT 6.7L diesel 6 speed auto SRW longbed

HeeHawHoney
Explorer
Explorer
I see that I'm going to have to invest in "camper clothes". That makes perfect sense to have at least a couple of changes that live in the RV. We don't leave the fridge running all the time because we tried that and the freezer froze shut before we realized it was happening. As for sheets, towels, and pots and pans, we do have a few that live in the RV too. I also LOVE the flat dolly idea! That is exactly what we need. Just load it up a couple of times and save 50 trips back and forth to the house! Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I know what to do now.
"The Hilton"
2002 Jayco 3100SS
Brett and Tracy and Bella (The Beautiful Bulldog)
My Blog - Alabama Overdrive
Pic of "The Hilton"
Pic of "The Beautiful Bulldog"
Pic of Brett and Tracy

wannabervin
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving the fridge on is a great idea, 'cept when you have to store the RV. Our street is too narrow to get our TT in and out of. Having to load and unload perishables is a pain!

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
We keep a 3 section checklist. One section is everything that's supposed to always be in the trailer. We verify it in the spring. The second section is, consumables, the stuff that stays in all season but needs to be replenished from time to time, like toilet paper. The third section is stuff we put in just before every trip, clothes, step ladder, laptop, tablets, etc.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Here in AZ we cannot keep food stocked in the pantry during the summer. The heat would quickly destroy it when trailer is not in use.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
We leave ours fully stocked. Everything kitchen and bathroom, also " camping clothes" are always in there.
Only thing to put in for a trip is any special clothing, electronics, and food.
Yup, have double of everything for kitchen, and some smaller trial sizes for bath products, but mostly full size items.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
HeeHawHoney wrote:
We are getting ready to load the RV with the necessities for our Labor Day weekend at the beach. I am not looking forward to the packing process. When I am lugging bags, and laundry baskets, of supplies out of the house, is when one of the benefits of being full-time is very apparent.

My question is this:

Do any of you have any tips that make loading the RV a little easier?

I hear ya! The first year I had to unload to winterize for the winter I could not believe how much 'stuff' I had to unload!

Sometimes are situations are such that you can't leave a second set of stuff in the RV all the time. I hated all the back and forth trips to the RV AND those dang RV narrow steps also until I started using something as simple as a flat dolly.

You can buy a dolly at any box store or hardware store or have the DH make you one! Sheet of 3/4" plywood and screw 4 wheels on it!

Will cut your trips back and forth out to the RV down to one maybe two! AND when you finally head out on your trip YOU won't be all dead tired from schlepping all the stuff into the RV. :C

I resurrected a crate dolly from my basement and attached a sheet of plywood to it for moving stuff around. It also comes with me in the on the carrier behind the toad. I use for just about 'everything that needs to be moved' thereby protecting my back and knees.

Here's a moving dolly from Harbor Freight a whopping 12.00 bucks rated for 1,000 lbs! Same one can be bought at any big box stores.Screw a sheet of plywood on top attached a rope pull and you can schlep a ton of stuff out in ONE trip!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
leave it packed

No better answer. We keep both RVs packed except for clothing and perishables. Did require buying duplicates of some things.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
I hit the garage sales and cleaned house. Stocked my trailer from that and than bought what I still needed. Only fresh food has to be packed the last few days.
Oops, one more thing. Start having to put heavier clothes in for fall camping and possible snow in October.

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our fiver is like a second home, fully stocked and always ready to go with the exceptions of items that will not keep either in the frig or pet food/items like milk, veggies and the sort.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
We gather all the items somewhere in the house (living room or by the door). Spouse stays in the RV while I go back and forth to the house carrying the items to the RV, handing them off to spouse, who puts the items in their place. This way, I don't get too tired climbing in and out of RV several times. As others stated, we keep as many things in RV as possible. We have duplicates of things (like RV toothbrush and house toothbrush).
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
We Leave hydro on while at home. Our freezer is always full of assorted meats etc. The fridge and pantry have all the staples. We only need to put in fresh fruit and veg before we head out. The kitchen is fully equipped, the batohrooms supplies, linens etc. Basically we can just hook up and go. When we return, anything that got used is replaced, laundry done and things back in TT. I wash the floor, clean bathroom etc.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
My basement is always packed and the cookware and utensils are always in it but it still takes some time to pack food, groceries, medications, clothes, and a lot of miscellaneous stuff. I look at it this way: if we were staying in Hotels/motels I would have to lug 2 suitcases in every night and out every morning, this way I only have to pack and unpack once. 😉
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
Yep. A couple of changes of season appropriate clothing, non-perishables, toiletries, the usual bedding and galley supplies live in my RV. All I have to pack is perishables and my electronic devices, and maybe an activity specific item or two. My RV is stored at an RV lot and I can still be on the road in less than an hour.
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
x100

Like dieseltruckdriver, I have "camper clothes", so unless I need something specific clothing-wise, all I have to pack is perishable foods, the pets, my camera gear and me.

It does feel a bit odd to get up and be ready to go not even 10 minutes later. I'm still trying to get used to the idea of sleeping in on travel day.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)