Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neighbors Dad learning the hard way

path1
Explorer
Explorer
New trailer in July this year.

First trip out---Clips big iron pipe barrier thing at gas station. Big gouge about 1/2 the length on left side.

Second trip out---(after getting back from shop). Forgets about water regulator at campground. Wakes up to water flooding inside. Gets it back home, backs into his own house putting trailer away.

He's was over at his sons house (my neighbor). Says he is going back to tent.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
33 REPLIES 33

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like someone isn't cut out for RV'ing!

Not necessarily. What I don't see is how old dad is. Could be as simple as needing glasses or getting used to all the ins and outs of a trailer. Could be he does have issues and shouldn't be driving. Before jumping to conclusions I would suggest that dad be taken for a complete physical.

For all of you who claim you have never backed into or hit anything, don't get angry when someone makes fun of you. Chances are sooner or later it will happening.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Been there Done that........

New trailer.longer than previous one. Made a U turn and tail swing whacked a fence pole.

Failed to do a walk around.....power cord still connected. Dragged it long enough to wear the plug half off.

Undid regulator and water filter. Then forgot to stow them. Gift for next camper!

Forgot to latch hitch........found out when I got home and went to unhitch trailer.

List could go on...........course these happened over many many years various trailers.
But it happens.

At home, at play, at work......life is full of little adventures.

And as a means of making myself feel better I sit in my lawn chair and watch others pull in/back in/set up. Same as when I had a boat.....watch the fun at launch ramp
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RavenNS
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

As far as the regulator. Never used one, actually I have for about 5 minutes. It cuts the pressure down so far you can't use the shower. So in 12 years I've used one for 5 minutes!

I don't use an official regulator either. I've got one of those water filters that attaches to your hose, just before attaching to the trailer. It might help regulate the pressure

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II

As far as the regulator. Never used one, actually I have for about 5 minutes. It cuts the pressure down so far you can't use the shower. So in 12 years I've used one for 5 minutes!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Actually it sounds like his father is in cognitive decline. Its one of the most difficult things to accept about your parents, but this can happen at any age from 40 on up. We didn't see (or accept)the early signs when my dad started having his issues like this. Look closely at how he accomplishes every day tasks. It may be time for a medical assessment for him.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hey. When I went from a small (And I do mean SMALL!!!!) TT to a Class A it took me a few days and dents to learn all I needed to know.. The funny one was I clipped a car at a red light.> The driver was all hot and in my face "What did you just learn to drive?" I basically acknowledged his observation explaining that this was only the 2nd time I'd driven this rig.. he then went on to tell me that he worked in a body shop and it would cost 500 to fix his car.

Well, Under state law I'm liable for the first 500 so I wrote him a check. I suspect he fixed it cheaper but to be honest if I'd have turned it over to my insurance they would have given him 500 so we parted friends.. Him slightly shocked at how I did not argue with him, but we parted friends.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Not everyone can grasp the concept of towing. Have a friend who while towing through a campground ran into a water spigot surrounded by stone. Did not even notice that it happened and drove the spigot further into the middle of the unit and water spraying for a long time until they could turn it off and free the trailer. Had no concept of how a trailer tows. He now has a TC and seems to be ok with that.

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
That is terrible, hope he gets everything fixed properly. Every trip we get gas or back in anywhere...I hop out of the truck to make sure DH does not accidently hit anything. Takes a few seconds for me to walk along, especially at the pump with the concrete poles. If he can't see me...he doesn't move.

Hope things get better, most people have a routine they follow.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
drcook wrote:
3oaks wrote:
Nothing like laughing at other people's mistakes/accidents and making ignorant comments. Just proves not all RVers are the friendly sort. :R

I have noticed that about this site since I came back just a couple weeks ago. There are lots of rude/ignorant people hanging around here. Also I have found that not everyone that joins a site, actually has anything to do with whatever the forum/site is about. There are lots of kids that get on forums and people that just plain make things up.

================

You should suggest to the neighbor that they take the dad for a checkup. A bunch of years ago I noticed the mom-in-law have a small issue. Turned out it was a brain tumor. My dad had an issue, so I took him. Turned out premature shrinkage of the frontal lobes.

One issue is an oops. Multiple in a row, especially so close together can be the canary in the coal mine.

I think you both are taking this a little to seriously. The fella would probably laugh at theses comments. I know I am the first to laugh at myself when I make mistakes. JMHO
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
New trailer in July this year.

First trip out---Clips big iron pipe barrier thing at gas station. Big gouge about 1/2 the length on left side.

Second trip out---(after getting back from shop). Forgets about water regulator at campground. Wakes up to water flooding inside. Gets it back home, backs into his own house putting trailer away.

He's was over at his sons house (my neighbor). Says he is going back to tent.

He is certainly not the lone ranger.

Almost each and everyone of us, no matter how long RV'ing have had those same things happen. He just got them out of the way and consolidated a couple of them within two trips! :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
drcook wrote:
You should suggest to the neighbor that they take the dad for a checkup.

Beat me to it. Once is an accident. Sounds like he has cognitive issues.

FYI: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cognitive
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

drcook
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
Nothing like laughing at other people's mistakes/accidents and making ignorant comments. Just proves not all RVers are the friendly sort. :R

I have noticed that about this site since I came back just a couple weeks ago. There are lots of rude/ignorant people hanging around here. Also I have found that not everyone that joins a site, actually has anything to do with whatever the forum/site is about. There are lots of kids that get on forums and people that just plain make things up.

================

You should suggest to the neighbor that they take the dad for a checkup. A bunch of years ago I noticed the mom-in-law have a small issue. Turned out it was a brain tumor. My dad had an issue, so I took him. Turned out premature shrinkage of the frontal lobes.

One issue is an oops. Multiple in a row, especially so close together can be the canary in the coal mine.
2004.5 2500HD CCSB Duramax/Allison - was an Overheater fixed it!!! Bilsteins, Banks stuff, Hellwig Sway bars front and back
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX

2 Doberman/Rhodesian Ridgeback Crosses - brothers
2 Beagles
1 Shih Poo
1 Shih Tzu
1 Camping Cat
1 wife

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
That stinks! Not exactly how you want to spend the first 3 months of being an RV owner. It sounds like he didn't spend too much time practicing with the trailer before his trips.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:

...He's was over at his sons house (my neighbor). Says he is going back to tent.

In addition to the tent, maybe he should walk to the campground! :B
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900