cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do you wish you bought sooner?

TJames1974
Explorer
Explorer
First of all hello there newbie here. My wife and I are close to picking up our new Cougar 5th wheel and since I inherited my dads old truck that had everything needed to tow a 5th wheel the dealer gave us $400 to spend in the store at the dealership instead of a brake controller and hitch and the first visit is on the salemans discount pricing. So my question what have you found as being a wish you had bought sooner. I have heard a longer main power cord is a definite as the one that comes with the trailer might not always be long enough. I know TP and all that other stuff but what were the nice to have things that would be useful? Thanks in advance I have read a lot on here and hope to contribute some too.
2003 Ford 6.0 Diesel
2017 Cougar 32RLK Fifth Wheel
42 REPLIES 42

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Fresh water hoses, power cord, sewer hose...extras for those spaces where the utilities are just a tad too far for the normal stuff. A portable satellite dish.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Army11Bravo wrote:
... had the dealership install Maxx-Air vent covers so we can leave our vents up all the time.

This x10!!! OP, you live in the Pacific North Wet and Maxx-Air vent covers are pretty much a requirement. You will want to have your vents open when it is raining... and as you know, it rains a lot there.

rhagfo wrote:
TJames1974, Congrats on the new 5er. Based on your location and 5er brand will assume you bought from Curtis RV, great dealer.

hehe, that is exactly what I though too even before I read your response. Sounds like a Curtis RV deal, possibly the one in Tigard. That is where we bought our TT when living on the north Oregon coast.
I love me some land yachting

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
TJames1974, Congrats on the new 5er. Based on your location and 5er brand will assume you bought from Curtis RV, great dealer. I will by pass CW to buy supplies from them.

Skip the TP, standard single ply TP works fine. I would either see about the better shackles and bronze bushings. The other item is the Vent covers, NOTHING better in the PNW than being able to have the vents open 24/7/365!!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
evanrem wrote:
Anderson levelers. There have been a few times when we can't use them because the ground is to slippery bur otherwise I love them.

Recycled exterior rubber stair tread like this will solve that problem nicely.:)
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anderson levelers. There have been a few times when we can't use them because the ground is to slippery bur otherwise I love them.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I bought an extra power cord after our first season camping... I seem to need one a lot! Also, 2 25ft fresh water hoses, 2 25ft "gray" water hoses (basic garden hoses), and the cap for the camper's sewer drain that a hose can attach to in order to use grey water drains at a lot of the campgrounds around me.

After all your basics, what I really like is a good quality portable grill. Can be either stand alone or a picnic table top grill. Most camper's kitchens are smallish, and being able to cook the main course outside really gives more room inside. Also doesn't fill the camper with cooking smell everytime you cook something. Keeps grease and mess from things like sausage and bacon from getting all over the inside of the camper. And... a steak tastes much better on a grill!

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
Anderson Levelers would have to be considered.

ONLY if the leveler will fit between the tires - quite a few rigs on which it won't, even if trimmed. ๐Ÿ˜ž

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Anderson Levelers would have to be considered.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
TJames1974 wrote:
So my question what have you found as being a wish you had bought sooner.

Absolutely wish I had purchased a Progressive Industries EMS w/Surge Protection much sooner than I did. I've now running a hard wire EMS-HW30C (10 pics) and it's disconnected power several times each season to protect our trailer's electrical system so I'd not now ever plug in while camping or when parked here at the house without it. Absolutely a wise investment for any RV owner camping on electric sites. :B

Army11Bravo
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're happy we added a second battery and had the dealership install Maxx-Air vent covers so we can leave our vents up all the time. I have never needed a power cord extension, but I would love to get a surge protector. Maybe next year!
Army 11 Bravo - Gulf War Veteran
Wife, Two Teen Boys, Hound Dog (Daisy) & Beagles (Lily & Bailey)
2014 Springdale 267SRTWE Bunkhouse Travel Trailer
2009 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
A complete change out of every lamp in the coach to LED. It does nothing but pay you back.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
In the last six years I have only needed a longer power cord once. If I had $400 to spend I would buy more batteries, either 2 six volt golf cart batteries or if you have the space get 4.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dexter EZ flex equalizers, bronze bushings and wet bolt kit!
If your asking about accessories.... power tongue jack. (Edit, I see you have a 5'er).

Yes an extra power cord, but you can get that cheaper than thier discount price at Walmart. An extra fresh water hose, I have a 25 footer and a 50 footer, I have used both water and power at some campgrounds! A good quality sewer hose! Again just as long or longer than the fresh water and power. Only once have I used all 35feet of my sewer hose, and it was stretched tight!!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!