rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
10 Worst States for Retirement

"Some of the prettiest, most touristy states in the nation
are also some of the toughest on retirees."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/10-worst-states-for-retirement-153214340.html

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

88 REPLIES 88

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Gun nut? I'm guessing that's a person who's crazy about guns. Kinda like a car nut.

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
Sea Dog wrote:
I hope that this forum is not going to become a hangout for the gun nuts.
Plenty of right wing forums for that!

Gun nuts? That term is offensive to law abiding citizens that believe in the right to protect themselves. I happen to know many people on the left that support the right to defend ones self.
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
zztinker wrote:
I love you, California, you're the greatest state of all.
I love you in the winter, summer, spring and in the fall.
I love your fertile valleys; your dear mountains I adore.
I love your grand old ocean and I love her rugged shore.
I love your red-wood forests - love your fields of yellow grain.
I love your summer breezes and I love your winter rain.
I love you, land of flowers; land of honey, fruit and wine.
I love you, California; you have won this heart of mine.
I love your old gray Missions - love your vineyards stretching far.
I love you, California, with your Golden Gate ajar.
I love your purple sun-sets, love your skies of azure blue.
I love you, California; I just can't help loving you.
I love you, Catalina, you are very dear to me.
I love you, Tamalpais, and I love Yosemite.
I love you, Land of Sunshine, Half your beauties are untold.
I loved you in my childhood, and I'll love you when I'm old.

I hate your roads.

Sea_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
I hope that this forum is not going to become a hangout for the gun nuts.
Plenty of right wing forums for that!
Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.

Bart_Y
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
I'm 'real' surprised Tennessee is not on that list.

I stopped off in TN for a few days to look around at property and to stock up on supplies, food, etc. and by the end of the day I had paid $100.00 in TAXES!

I took a look at my receipts and their state tax is almost 10%. I got back into my MH and started heading further south!

I thought Tennessee was one of THE places most people like to retire to. :?

No income tax in Tennesee. As far as the sales taxes are concerned, you didn't happen to be in the Memphis area, did you? Sales taxes are the highest in the state.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Dusting of snow this AM. Gotta love it. :B
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
coolbreeze01,

Just one below of over 30 web pages about California's actual indebtedness presently and the long term debt is continuing to grow at min rate of 3-7 billion each year over the yearly revenues in the state. WSJ, Forbes, and Newsweek all had articles outlining the facts in black and white of the true indebtedness of California. A snipit by Moonbeam Jerry Brown's supporters doesn't begin to match the real story the financial gurus list exibits. Throwing a dog milk bone to a starving dog won't begin to satisfy the dog's real hunger! Some respected web pages list the debt as even much higher the the article below. As the extremely high pensioned various state etc employees retire, California's debt will mushroom very fast beyond any possible ability to meet their obligations. All had agreed to this known scenario! Not a joke! Google it! Stay tuned!

One article and far from the scariest one:

California's debt still a heavy cloud over state's future
Gov. Jerry Brown's new budget presented a plan to pay back nearly $28 billion owed, but various sources estimate the state's debt at hundreds of billions.
January 13, 2013|By Evan Halper and Chris Megerian, Los Angeles Times
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
Maybe that's why California is so broke. There's no end to their love of someplace that they don't even think they have to pay the massive bills that have been created there. Just give the legislators a kiss on their other cheek and tell them how much you love the place and everything will be super fine!

CA sends more tax money to Washington than we receive in benefits or expenditures. Most of the states on the best retirement states list have the reverse.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/2011/04/04/state-finances.html#slide1

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
In other news:

"SACRAMENTO โ€” California has been flooded with revenue this tax season and is on track to finish the fiscal year with a surplus of billions of dollars, according to officials."
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe that's why California is so broke. There's no end to their love of someplace that they don't even think they have to pay the massive bills that have been created there. Just give the legislators a kiss on their other cheek and tell them how much you love the place and everything will be super fine!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

jcollins62
Explorer
Explorer
zztinker wrote:

I'm still not clear on how you feel about California. ๐Ÿ˜‰

zztinker
Explorer
Explorer
2010 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 31.5RLDS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Ford 350 PSD SRW, long Bed, Champion 2000i inverter Generator and a Champion 3500/4000 Gen.

musicman54
Explorer
Explorer
the best retirement place is where my grandchildern are they are the reason i retired at 59 they are why i had kids and oregon is beautiful and no drastic weather

Ken_O
Explorer
Explorer
Bottom line: "There is no perfect place".

Thats the reason many of us snowbird. During the summer its hard to beat the weather here in northern lower Michigan, very few in my area have air conditioners. But, the winters can be brutal.

And, its hard to beat the winters in Fl or the Southwest.

Snowbirding gives you the best of both worlds.
Silverado 250HD '07 Duramax
2017 Jayflight 21QB

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
We hate the intense heat also and anything over 83-85F is just too hot. That is part of why we dumped our very nice place in Florida and why the southerners flock north in droves during the summer months. It's a long known fact that a person can dress for the cold, even below zero F, but never undress enough to be comfortable in 100 F plus in low humidity and not in even 90 F with high humidity.

What's the difference? Spending most of your daytime inside in a heated structure for several months each year and still able to be outside with having proper clothes on or literally forced inside for the same number of days per year in constant A/C and knowing much better than to be outside at all during most of the daylight hours? We'll take the one WE have the control over with simple adequate clothes anytime any day!

I don't feel comfortable till the temps get to 80, all the cars I owned had a fancy 2 zone A/C that I never turned on until the temps got into the triple digits, I love the heat and hate the cold because it is painful. I got a Boston Terrier 7 years ago and didn't realize how sensitive they are to heat. Shortly after I got the first one I was riding around with the windows open enjoying the warm breeze, it was probably only 85 or 90 degrees. I noticed my dog was stressed from the heat and immediately rolled up the windows and turned on the A/C. I do keep it at 78 which is comfortable for them but not too cold for me. Warm winters is very high on my list of requirements and coincidently most states in the south have a lower cost of living along with dozens of other things that make living in the south a pleasure.
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.