cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A poll: What does 2 blinks of the left signal mean to you?

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
You catch up to me on a two lane road. You can’t quite see far enough ahead to know if safe to pass, but I blink left signal 2 blinks on move to the extreme right of my lane. What am I doing?

1. Saying “safe to pass I will help you around” ?

2. Making fake gonna turn left signals like “brake checking” only different?

3. Trying to trick you into a fiery head on collision which I am videoing to sell to the news and u tube?
85 REPLIES 85

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
In my state there is no law posted that the people behind me have a right to drive faster than I am. But we do have a law that states "All trucks, busses, and vehicles pulling trailers must maintain 300 ft intervals." This, if it was self-enforced, would help move traffic on 2 lane roads. What I mean is if you don't know your stuff well enough to pass the car in front of you, and there is not room between you and that car for somebody to drop in and match speed, then you are the one obstructing traffic.

Jack_Spratt
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
When my oldest son got his driver's license, we had a meeting with our insurance agent. He said that if you see a turn signal on. . . it only means that it works. Don't trust anyone.

We have a winner
Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:
You catch up to me on a two lane road. You can’t quite see far enough ahead to know if safe to pass, but I blink left signal 2 blinks on move to the extreme right of my lane. What am I doing?

3. Trying to trick you into a fiery head on collision which I am videoing to sell to the news and u tube?

2019 = NONE of the above! ..:S

4. (IMO - my choice) - The driver is texting, drinking his/her late, or lighting a joint - or all simultaneously - and accidentally activated his/her turn signal.

:R

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Legally in the USA it has no meaning, so you can't trust it to mean something.

It's actually causing more of a problem than helping. As the other driver doesn't know what you mean, he may be able to see far enough to pass but on seeing your turn signal, backs off thinking you might turn left while he would be passing.

Follow the rules of the road and don't make things up.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
If I was trying to let someone pass,then puling over to the right would make more sense.
Turn signals are used for turning
Using right turn signal or flashers would make more sense in this instance.

Many times when I tried to exit parking lot at the mall,
Waiting to let cars from left to get by,some would use right turn signal indicating they will turn right so its ok for me to enter the road,
But judging by how fast the car was aproaching its not its intention at all..so I waited made sure what happens and sure enough the dumbell drives straight on.
If I drove out I would be to blame for accident most likely.
Some drivers are just plain dum

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
noteven wrote:

A horrible idea any way you cut it.

You are sending "mixed" signals to the driver behind.

Left turn signal should exclusively be used to indicate that you are turning left, not meant to tell folks you are allowing them to pass..

Add in the swerve to the right, hugging the outside edge of the road.. the person behind you is now thinking your are TURNING RIGHT but accidentally hit the left signal OR you are completely clueless to where you are and what you want to do..

In reality, instead of all of the mixed signals, simply EXIT the road as soon as it is safe for YOU to do so. IE PULL OFF THE ROAD.

Yes, I realize you may have roads with no place to do so, but it IS far safer for both you and the driver behind you.. I seem to have no problem finding other crossroads, driveways, parking lots or wide berms in my travels that can easily be made to work for my vehicle and 26ft TT.. Have turned around a few times over the yrs when the road I needed was missed..

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
When my oldest son got his driver's license, we had a meeting with our insurance agent. He said that if you see a turn signal on. . . it only means that it works. Don't trust anyone.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago ('70s/80s) when I was on the road pulling for a living it was understood 2-3 left blinks meant from my view up front its clear to pass. This was a necessary as most roads were 2 lanes
I wouldn't do it today. Lots of drivers don't know how or are scared to pass on a 2 lane road....so they just tail gate. Young females are the worst.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I don't mind being followed as much as I do being tailgated. One technique I use to back them off is to drive crazy. Weave, speed up, slow down.. that takes care of most of them.

Stooping to their level is not an answer. Driving crazy endangers not only you but others.

Never signal for someone else to do anything implying that it’s safe It might make you liable.

In Mass it does. Even when you stop to let another vehicle go at an intersection if you wave them through and there is an accident you can be held accountable.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

C-172-AV8R
Explorer
Explorer
Not much. I will move over to the right as far as I can without endangering my unit. Never signal for someone else to do anything implying that it’s safe It might make you liable. . If they start to pass will take foot off of gas to help them get the job done. If it’s not safe anymore for them to pass I will move back to the left in my lane. Happy motoring.....Mike
Pacific Islanders
Abby's Doghouse... 31'Winnibago Chieftain
Casara pilot
FMCA F371731
"Any Day you wake up is a good one"
Mike/Ulla/Abby

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
If theres a wreck during/immediately thereafter, it means you were signaling for a left turn. Legal answer is found in each state's driver handbook.

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Been there and thought I knew what it meant while behind a logging truck between Reno and Tahoe, want to guess how it worked out when I went to pass? I was half way along side him when he turned left in front of me, just about killed my mother and myself.

Only thing that saved our lives was I was able to punch it and just get past him enough that I caught his drivers side wheel into the rear quarter panel, ever seen what the lug nuts on a big rig do to a steel quarter panel. The next thing I know is I am looking out my drivers side window straight down the road going about 60 mph, I still to this day don't know how I recovered and didn't flip the jeep
wagoneer we were in.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't mind being followed as much as I do being tailgated. One technique I use to back them off is to drive crazy. Weave, speed up, slow down.. that takes care of most of them.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I assumed it was #1. However, I pay attention to what the vehicle is doing whether or not it has directionals on, etc. Have seen too many incidences of one directional on and the driver goes in the opposite direction. I will sit behind a vehicle for hours if necessary before I will pass if I cannot see clearly. If the vehicle in front of me moves to the right, the driver motions for me to go by and I can get a clean shot I will go. Those that don't like my caution can learn patience.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:

IMO, the 2 blinkers is less important than hugging the right side.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page