cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AC question

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 33'-0 5th wheel with single AC. When plugged in at home will the AC function properly if plugged into a 15 Amp outlet ? If so, I usually have a normal extension cord running from the 5er's plug to the outlet. Any comments ?
10 REPLIES 10

DavidandDayle
Explorer
Explorer
We have run the A/C from a 15A outlet, but turning on anything else can pop the breaker.
Run the big RV extension cord all the way to the conversion plug at the wall socket.
When the circuit breaker pops, wait 5-10 minutes before you start the a/c again.
David and Dayle

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. 13,500 BTU'S and I'll drop the extension and run my main cable to the outlet.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Most standard extension cords have 5-15 cord bodies. This is the NEMA standard for 15 amp.
A true 20 amp is a 5-20 Nema configuration where the male end has the neutral perpendicular to the phase blade.
Big thing is the gauge of the wire. Larger gauge is better. Minimum 12 gauge is best. Cord bodies are the weak point.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would consider upgrading that extension cord.. Sears (And K-Mart) both sell a 12ga cord which is designed for indoor/outdoor use, This cord is different from the nearly identical cords sold at Home Depot, lowes. Ace Hardware and .. most everywhere else, in that there is a push button on the outlet end that must be pushed when plugging into the cord or unplugging from it.

Thus I recommend it

But any good 12ga cord is better than the 14 or 16Ga "Standard" cords.

I have 3 of those 12ga cords

one is 100 ', the others are 10 and 20.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We ran a 50' heavy duty (15 Amp rated) extension cord from our rig to a 15 Amp outlet for over a month with no problems. We ran a 13.5K a/c a lot (it was DC during the summer). You must make sure than any other large load is off (no microwave, water heater, battery charger, etc).
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Learjet wrote:
15 amp is no good in my opinion...you need minimum 20 amp with no other loads on the house circuit and no other loads on in the RV expect the converter with fully charged batteries.

The OP is here in Canada where 20 amp circuits aren't the norm as they are in the US. He hasn't told us anything about his A/C unit but if it's a 13,500 BTU then as long as the source voltage is a nominal 120 vac, the cable run isn't excessive, and he uses his main service cable instead of a small gauge extension cable then he'll be able to successfully start and run that A/C just fine on a 15 amp circuit. As you yourself say - "I do it all the time". ๐Ÿ˜‰ OTOH if his 5th has a 15,000 BTU A/C, or nominal voltage is significantly less than 120 vac, or he does use an excessively long, small gauge extension cable then his chances of success are much diminished. Without knowing these details which the OP hasn't told us it's impossible to answer his question accurately.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

VintageRacer
Explorer
Explorer
I usually pop the breaker on a 15 amp circuit, 15Kbtu AC unit. Any extension cord should be 12 gauge, not a "normal" extension cord. Sometimes it works for a while though.
2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Answers will vary. I am guessing you have a 30 amp rig!
Extension cord needs to be a healthy size. a standard 16 or even 14 gauge cord would not be adequate. 12 gauge or a standard 30 amp RV extension cord would do better. The 30 amp extension cord could come in handy on the road.
Charge up the batteries good before running AC should reduce the load and keep voltage levels up a little.
How far are you talking?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
15 amp is no good in my opinion...you need minimum 20 amp with no other loads on the house circuit and no other loads on in the RV expect the converter with fully charged batteries. Maybe a low wattage TV on would be OK.

And yes I have done this many times on a 20 amp circuit.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe but maybe not depends on the size of the ac and how long the extension cord is.