cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

After all these years....

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
At the lake last weekend, one of our Yamaha generators was stolen!
In the middle of the night, a thief snuck into our campsite, disconnected our 2000I from the other 2000 and slunk off like the skunk that he/she was.
All around the lake, campers had generators sitting out, 90% of them not locked or chained. Everyone had done that for years, even when no one was in camp, out on the lake fishing or hiking or whatever, no one locked anything up. Never even had an ice cube stolen.
The gens were connected together and hooked up to the 5er! So disconnecting took him/her a while to do in the dark.
At 4:30 a.m., DH took our 2 dogs out, did a walk around and all was well. At 6:30 when DH got up and went outside, it was gone....
Police report filed, park ranger report was filed and insurance claim has been filed.
New generator has been shopped for.....
We saved a good while to purchase the generators, yet someone felt they had more right to it than our hard work warranted.
The park ranger said it had been so long since a theft had been reported that they couldn't even remember how long it was. And he was sorry to think that kind of behavior was starting up.....

Sigh..........
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2007 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab(Diesel)
2010 Cougar 276RLS
39 REPLIES 39

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:

Probably good you didn't surprise him when you went out.

Who knows what these wackos will do.

1. = "maybe".

2. = "or - vice-versa"...:W

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
I believe I read somewhere that 4:30 a.m. is one of the most popular times for thefts like that.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I'm about to leave on a long trip, and your thread prompted me to work out a better security effort for my genny. Bought a steel cable lock (5/8"). Put that through the tie down and tonight I will drill two holes through the genny frame to run the cable through. All this, of course, inside a locked bed and truck top.

Not paranoid, but it's time to be diligent.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Usually thieves aren't up that early. Probably good you didn't surprise him when you went out. Who knows what these wackos will do.
Puma 30RKSS

Targa
Explorer
Explorer
Ha Old-Biscuit, I knew exactly what you were talking about since I am a fisherman in Colorado. I can totally understand why Wyomingites can't stand us, in my defense though I am a Missourian brought to and kept in Colorado by unfortunate circumstances :B, man I can't wait to get back.

Back on topic and to the OP, I am sorry you had to encounter a dirt back like this. I know I would be fit to be tied if it happened to me.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
path1 wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Probably a 'Greeenie'
:h

Trying to reduce your "carbon footprint"???

Nothing to do with 'environmentalist....more of inside joke.

It's a reference to what Wyomingites call those from Colorado that invade all the fishing holes.
Growing up in Casper it was always an issue.....especially at Glendo Reservoir
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

SampsonGirl
Explorer
Explorer
We had our tailgater satelite stolen this spring. It wasn't the loss of the money that was the worst, it was that we had no TV for the rest of the trip. I can't stand a thief!!

Burwoods
Explorer
Explorer
Sad sad sad. We will be locking up everything, even when tent camping, I put everything in the van and locked it up that was worth anything, or it was in the tent with us. Get a job and buy your own, frustrating. Sorry to hear you had to experience that.
Bob and Sally
1999 Rexhall Aerbus 36'
Towing 2002 Tracker

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
If police catch the person--maybe a misdemeanor and no jail. Very little risk. Biggest danger is getting caught in the act.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Probably a 'Greeenie'
:h

Trying to reduce your "carbon footprint"???
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

jujububbajr
Explorer
Explorer
We were at a campground near Atlanta last week and the camp host told us if we had any bikes might want to lock them up. He said two bikes and a scooter were stolen the week before. I said, you usually don't have many problems with theft in a campground. He acted like he wasn't surprised by it at all. Times they are a changing.
2004 Ram 3500 2wd Dually
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing more frustrating than working hard for something and then having some low life take it away.

Sorry not only for your loss,but your loss of your peace of mind at that campground.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
I had mine stolen two years ago from my Garage. I lock up everything at night in my Cargo trailer. People look at me sideways sometimes and my kids think that I am going overboard, but I work hard for my stuff and once bitten twice shy baby!
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
Okie in Wyoming wrote:
The gens were connected together and hooked up to the 5er! So disconnecting took him/her a while to do in the dark.

sounds like someone who is familiar with those generators and their hookup .... as much as I hate to say it, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a fellow camper who needed a replacement

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
About five years ago Oklahoma had a massive ice storm. Power was out for 5-10 days depending on your area. In my neighborhood you could hear several generators running, mostly from the backyards. A neighbor had is running overnight. We he woke in the morning he went to the fridge, opened door, and no light. He could hear his generator running on his patio, so he thought it was a bad cord, or maybe a fuse.
He went to check the genny, and noticed that his lawn mower was running, but his generator was gone!