cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aluminum flag pole and lightning?

SC_camper
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking around the shop to find a way to fly the Flag at campground. I thought about driving a piece of rebar in the ground between A frame of TT. Slide a telescoping aluminum tarp pole over rebar and steady it using a bungy cord around the TT frame. I have everything on hand to do this. I like the pvc flag poles but dont have stuff to finish before camping this weekend. I am worried about lightning sticking the aluminum pole and damaging the family or camper. I see alot of flag poles mounted to rvs but I dont think they are touching the ground either. Is my mounting idea a bad idea?
10 REPLIES 10

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
I have seen rebar used as a lightning rod. Lightning dances everywhere.

Putting one near your LP tank on the A frame? That's a very bad and dangerous idea.

I use one of these to hold 3 flags. When the flags get worn I can buy another cheaply. And it doesn't attract lightning.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/u-s-flag/35654

I'll also put up an awning garland with small flags on Independence Day.

We have the same flag holder, we fly the American Flag, Oklahoma Flag and the Wyoming Flag. Proudly, I add.
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2007 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab(Diesel)
2010 Cougar 276RLS

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:

Putting one near your LP tank on the A frame? That's a very bad and dangerous idea.

I use one of these to hold 3 flags. When the flags get worn I can buy another cheaply. And it doesn't attract lightning.

We have the same flag holder, we fly the American Flag, Oklahoma Flag and the Wyoming Flag. Proudly, I add.
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2007 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab(Diesel)
2010 Cougar 276RLS

SC_camper
Explorer
Explorer
We have flown a Flag at home for years, and a red/white/blue wind sock on campers since weve been camping. We have a Flag in the camper that has different way to mount than the ones we fly at home. My wife put in the camper so I can use it camping but never have.

I might just skip trying this weekend and make a pvc flag pole that isnt attached to the camper. Thanks for the input.

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
We always fly our flag at home and when out in the RV. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

tanman32225
Explorer
Explorer
Its sad to hear people never fly the US Flag away or at home. Fly it upside down but fly it. Fly it proudly.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Everything comes down in a storm. Next time you are camping and a storm warning comes out take a look around you how many pull their antennas down. :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
It's not the material but the height of the pole that is the problem. The higher the object, the greater the chance of a strike. I once lived in N. Arizona in the largest stand of Ponderosa Pines in the world. Next door in a vacant area was a monster tree 4' diameter at the base. I saw evidence of several strikes running down the trunk. It was much taller than any other tree around and it took the majority of the hits.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II

"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
The chances of getting hit by lightning are almost nil. But in the 1/million chance that lightnig was getting to hit in the vicinity of your camper, yes, it would hit that aluminum pole sticking up in the air long before it would hit your neighbor.

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
I certainly wouldn't do it but then again I don't see much reason to fly a flag at a campground because I don't fly one at home either.