cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

any one currently using CB radios when traveling??

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used CB back the the 80's when driving a tractor trailer over the road job.

I know they are not real popular with all the cell phone apps, waze, google etc but was wondering is it still a good way to find out traffic tie up, and other such stuff..

also what brand radio used is considered best.. I remember my Midland SSB was the deal back then.. hooked up to a 150 watt plate amplifier i could talk to china.

them were the good ole days for sure..
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.
40 REPLIES 40

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
I use an antenna mounted to the stake pocket in the wall of the bed. It's likely not the optimal setup but I was able to get the antenna tuned well and I can talk\hear what I need to.
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I used CB's with permanent mounted antennas for years. Then the group went to family channel radio.
Haven't needed a CB and didn't install one in the current pickup.

After waiting for a crash to clear the other day on I80, I'm going start taking a portable CB.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Bumpyroad wrote:
Lantley wrote:
Funny I just purchased this Midland 75-822 CB on Amazon.
I plan to use it. To monitor bad traffic when necessary

have one, hated it. speaker too tiny hard to understand. I had to plug in an external speaker and there went size advantage. also too big for my hands, hard to hold operate.

I use a Cobra, about $40 at walmart.
bumpy

Bumpy your observations maybe correct. I have not had the opportunity to try out my new toy.
I was attracted to the size and portability of the unit. Time will tell.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
I don't mean to hijack either but I have been thinking about getting one. What about the antenna? I really don't want to drill holes in my truck and I don't want a 40' antenna whipping around. Any recommendations?

I've always used a magnetic mount or thru the glass antenna with mine. my winnie came from the factory with one.
bumpy

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wilson 1000 or a little wil. Both are mag mounts and run cable thru door under truck. I keep the 1000 on truck box little will is on my ranger

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I don't mean to hijack either but I have been thinking about getting one. What about the antenna? I really don't want to drill holes in my truck and I don't want a 40' antenna whipping around. Any recommendations?

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:

I have the same one only modified for higher output plus 40 low and 40 high channels for 120 channels total along with a Wilson 1000.

Seems like ch 19 is pretty dead with ch6 being the most popular.

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Cobra 75 WX ST that I used twice this weekend, once for weather and once for traffic info. It still gets used quite a bit when traveling.
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nope.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

stevewise
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Cobra 29 is always on, I even have a sign on the trailer that says I monitor CH19, the trucks will tell you if they see something out of place on your rig.
'15 Sierra 377FLIK
'14 Ford F350 SRW King Ranch
DW and Cricket the Chihuahua

Hiker_01
Explorer
Explorer
Slowmover wrote:

Go by Clays CB Shop in San Antonio. One of the top ten shops in the U.S. On IH10E Ackerman Road Exit across from Petro Travel Center; east of Loop 410. I've used them 20-years. Good, but not great website.

Thanks - I'll check them out.

Nik
Explorer
Explorer
Uniden Bearcat 980SSD, though I'd have no trouble with a Cobra or Galaxy model either. "Ball" style mount with a 3' adjustable Firestik antenna. Mounting it in a newer truck with center console and lots of storage cubbies was a little challenging. Look into RAM mounts, not cheap but they have a lot of options. Mine tucks between the dash and the armrest console while also holding a mount for a tablet.

We use them from truck to truck when traveling, as well as in the 4WD's on the trail. Language is a problem with two kids 9 & 11 in the back, so I try to keep a ready hand on the volume control! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Current RV: 2003 Fleetwood Terra 26Y
Previous RV: 2015 Wildwood X-Lite FS T192BH
Previous RV: 1985 Itasca Sundancer (24')
Previous RV: 1984 Starcraft Starmaster 21

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:

have one, hated it. speaker too tiny hard to understand. I had to plug in an external speaker and there went size advantage. also too big for my hands, hard to hold operate.

I use a Cobra, about $40 at walmart.
bumpy

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Its mandatory unless you want to sit in traffic, from NYC south to Richmond VA along 95. I listen to the tuckers that squawk work arounds before you get stuck between exits. This has saved countless hours of sitting in traffic. After Richmond I just turn it off.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
I do not have on the rv yet but plan to install. Stopped at TTT but the guy said to use a wilson 1000 with a mount on the front fender! Dont want anything like that so will need to get a grounded cable and run it to the front. You be surprised at how many rvs DO NOT HAVE and should have. See open compartments, bike racks falling off etc and they have no clue. Yesterday up on I 17 there was a kayak on the road, dont know what it came off of but there it sat all in its glory.

Some years back an rv was going thru a national park/forest with flat tire on his towd. Caused a forest fire and when asked why he didn't pull over when people were honking etc, said he thought they were made because he was holding up traffic.. Couple hundred thousand later I guess he might reconsider.

Have one in my ranger, one in f350 now need one for the rv. Last year used my hand held, saw a flatbed with a wheel that either had a bad bearing or was about to come off the axle,had hard time getting the drivers attention until next to her. Told her she pulled off. They do what they need to do, but people always have an excuse as to why not used.