cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

any one currently using CB radios when traveling??

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used CB back the the 80's when driving a tractor trailer over the road job.

I know they are not real popular with all the cell phone apps, waze, google etc but was wondering is it still a good way to find out traffic tie up, and other such stuff..

also what brand radio used is considered best.. I remember my Midland SSB was the deal back then.. hooked up to a 150 watt plate amplifier i could talk to china.

them were the good ole days for sure..
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.
40 REPLIES 40

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
I run the coax thru the rear doors don under the cab and up to either the truck box or the top of the cab if towing. PUll excess cable out for roof or place under rear floor mat if on truck box. Virtually invisible except when on roof.

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
carl2591 wrote:
Wilson firestick on amazon.
http://tinyurl.com/nzgwawr

still seem to be a good one according to reviews.

How about the hood mount type.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X3D7PE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1NAYB1PXIHSX0

Bedlam wrote:
The Firestik and K40 used to be top rated antennas. I think they are still made, but don't know if any changes have been done to them in last 30 years.

The two particular ones I referenced are, on a magnetic roof mount, a much better choice. I have a hood mount and it is not comparable in terms of performance. The worst of my half dozen antennas on the roof is far better than the best while on the hood. And the hood mount is carefully done (grounds, etc).

The mag mount can have coax run out through a pickups rear cab vents.
1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
I quit using mine in '87 when I got rid of the vehicle. Have not used or seen the need for one since. I probably have driven close to 400k since then for work and rving.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wilson firestick on amazon.
http://tinyurl.com/nzgwawr

still seem to be a good one according to reviews.

How about the hood mount type.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X3D7PE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1NAYB1PXIHSX0

Bedlam wrote:
The Firestik and K40 used to be top rated antennas. I think they are still made, but don't know if any changes have been done to them in last 30 years.
Carl2591, Raleigh NC

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I noticed is that HID headlights put out some serious noise on the CB.

Bedlam

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
I don't mean to hijack either but I have been thinking about getting one. What about the antenna? I really don't want to drill holes in my truck and I don't want a 40' antenna whipping around. Any recommendations?

Sirio 5000

Or

Wilson 5000

Either in magnet mount for rooftop

And, for those wanting an external speaker, the Cobra S400. A huge help to any radio given its low expense.

Telex-Turner RK56 microphone (or Astatic 636). Ranger SRA-198 best inexpensive mike

Antenna, mike and speaker will make a real difference. A radio that has been frequency aligned, an antenna and coax showing low SWR, and a speaker with inexpensive DSP will altogether be a far better rig.
1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

bqcooker
Explorer
Explorer
When we camped as I was growing up in the 80s, we caravaned and we all had CBs. I thought it was still standard issue for RVers!!! I've actually thought about getting one for my ride also. Comes in handy to talk other than a cell phone for quick info for exit and fuel info.

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
i know all the apps for traffic but sometimes you get faster adn better info from the truckers. plus the apps need a good full time signal and can use a bunch of data if not careful.

I think CB's are a cool way to chat with others running down the road. I talked with a guy some years ago for over 4 hrs flying down the road with me 15 or so ft off his trailer heading to TX getting over 32 MPG in my 1976 Toyota Supra. regular hwy MPG, 25ish.

Cant wait to get back "on the air" was assigned number from FCC, KQK0924 when I was a trucker and my handle was "Red Man". Actually it was the "Long legged lady leg licking Red Man from Eastern NC.." ๐Ÿ™‚ had a few interesting stops from lonely women after hearing my handle.
Carl2591, Raleigh NC

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
I used one back in the 1970's during the 55mph days.

Then, it sat on the shelf in the garage for years, so I put in the truck a few years ago when I got the RV. I had to chuckle, because when I turned it on, it was like a step back in time....the same most useless drivel being talked about....truckers complaining about the slow cages, and not making enough money. And then I also go to be ( apparently ) entertained by some fool that keyed his mic so all could hear his favorite country western song. Yep....just like the '70s' Smokey and the Bandit all over again. Ugh..... I turned it off, and removed it again when I got home. It's back on the shelf in the garage.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Hank85713 wrote:
Helmsey, As I said in earlier, the portables will still need an external antenna to be effective. So might as well consider a regular and antenna. no range on the portables with the little antenna, not much for reception either.

THe midland portable I posted can be used with an external antenna or a as a true handheld with a small antenna.
I have a magnetic mount antenna that I plan to put on the roof.
The unit also comes with a lighter plug.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Bedlam
I have a 25 year old Uniden portable I pack with me. The handset has a removable battery pack on the lower half that exposes external antenna and power connections. I have not used it in over a year, but it comes with it's own cigarette lighter power and magnetic external antenna all packaged up in a little compartmentalized padded bag.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
Have a Uniden 980SSB in the truck as well as a 2m/70cm Ham Radio with APRS. Between them I always have communications and can find out what's going on. Came in handy pulling into Las Vegas last month - major backup on I-15 due to a wreck. Got off at an early exit and bypassed most of it.
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
Helmsey, As I said in earlier, the portables will still need an external antenna to be effective. So might as well consider a regular and antenna. no range on the portables with the little antenna, not much for reception either.