Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any RVs that can be pulled by a SUV Jeep Liberty V6

Country_folks
Explorer
Explorer
Hello

I'm new to the forum and I would appreciate any advise on this topic.

I have a Jeep Liberty SUV v6 and would like to buy a small trailer livable for 2 people
That we can winterze and live in year round for a few years!!!

Any advice?
12 REPLIES 12

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure about a trailer for you but I towed an 18' Starcarft Star stream with my Liberty and it did very well getting between 11.5 and 15.2 MPG depending on the wind and terrain. The camper weighted in at 3860# when loaded. Hope that gives you a little help

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
With a gasser, I would keep it small. My 21 footer is comfy with my diesel, but we are talking apples to oranges.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, there are quite a few TTs 21 foot and under that a V6 Liberty could tow. Livable full time by two people, depends on your personal space requirements and ability to minimalize your lifestyle, particularly your collection of "stuff" (including changes of clothing).

Year round? If you can move to hospitable climes. In severe winter conditions? It can be done, is done, depends on expectations of comfort and covenience, willingness to burn a lot of fuel and spend some part of your life dealing with survival tasks most of us got past by the middle of the 20th century. There are people who manages to live in wildeness cabins and RV substitutes, no utiliities, no running water, in Arctic winter conditions. If they can do that, you can learn to do something slightly less extreme.

People used to winter inthe mountains with the possesions they could carry on their backs, building makeshift shelters each night, hunting and gathering their food daily. If they could do that, you could live in a TT that you can pull with your Jeep. Won't be like living in a 21st century house or apartment.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
I know a few people that tow an R-Pod with a liberty but they don't live in it. It would be kind of tight but doable if you don't have much to store.
http://www.forestriverinc.com/rpod/
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

chevyman2
Explorer
Explorer
yea they make a few different 16-18' TTs nowadays. Ever think about a hybrid? They are pretty nice these days and in the most extreme weather days, you can fold the beds back in and make down the table to sleep.
Tim-DW(Kathy)
12 Chevy Sonic DD, 03 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE, 2001 Jayco KIWI
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream-then I am living the dream

adayjk
Explorer
Explorer
According to Chrysler/Jeep a Linerty with the factory towing package can tow 5000# with a 60 sq ft frontal area with proper equipment. It can be 10100#, vehicle, trailer, people, and cargo rolliing down the road. There are trailers on the market that meet these criteria. Since you are likely going to be pushing the limits of the vehicle you will need to very carefully watch the weight and size of any potential purchase.

snowdance
Explorer
Explorer
A friend tows one of the New light Colemans with a older 6 cyl Ford Escape. Think the trailer is about 14 - 15 foot with bunk beds and forward dinette.. Nice trailer and he is 6'4" and does not have to duck. Has bath, shower ect and small kitchen.
Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what the tow capacity is with the Liberty, but we tow a AR-One 17' with a 6 cyl GMC Envoy with no problems whatsoever. We've been on several 2-week trips and didn't fee cramped. When we go camping, we spend most of our time outdoors. I like the smaller trailers better because they're easier to tow, I can put it next to my house and, yes, can tow it with a 6 cyl vehicle that I can get 20+ MPG when not towing. That being said, if we were to take much longer trips, or had it parked on a seasonal site, I might opt for a larger unit.

Dyngbld
Explorer
Explorer

This set up belongs to one of the members on this forum. I can't speak for the "comfort" of driving, or if it is a good idea. I have towed some crazy stuff over the years. (some of it I probably shouldn't have)

We tow a pop up behind my 6cyl Ford explorer. I have towed behind a 6cyl Dodge Caravan, and have towed behind a 4cyl Jeep Wrangler. The Jeep was the most challenging and I would not take it very far. The others I took well over 100 miles.

As for year round camping, A pop up could get cold. A teardrop camper will tow very well, but again for year round camping probably not the best choice.
http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=e7bd775c-4d1e-46d4-850d-e014153937be

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
maybe a Casita, but you'll be mighty cramped.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

popupcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Year round in Winnipeg? There wouldn't be a trailer made to handle that low a temp.

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do believe a popup is your only option. Year round, good luck with that.

Jim