cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are CB radios still used?

moparcanuck
Explorer
Explorer
Recently bought my new motorhome (1994 Newmar). It has a factory CB radio in it. Was rather surprised, as CBs had long since faded away. However, in looking, I see that CBs are still options in even brand new motorhomes.

Are people still using these? I haven't used one in years.
1994 Newmar Kountry Star 34'
113 REPLIES 113

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
liquidspaceman wrote:
I don't like CB or FRS radios as they tend to attract weirdos to my vehicle. On more than one occasion, calling to talk to somebody resulted in somebody stalking our vehicle and just being creepy with us. I would worry that calling out for distress out in the Mojave Desert would result in some weirdo coming out to get us. Maybe I'm just paranoid because of our two experiences. I don't like CB's. I feel that they make me a mark.

"Hey this person is stranded and helpless out in the desert."

I wish I had more faith in people.

I'd rather be helpless and stranded out in the desert with a CB or FRS radio than without. and unless you are talking to somebody beside you, nobody knows who is doing the talking.
bumpy

liquidspaceman
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like CB or FRS radios as they tend to attract weirdos to my vehicle. On more than one occasion, calling to talk to somebody resulted in somebody stalking our vehicle and just being creepy with us. I would worry that calling out for distress out in the Mojave Desert would result in some weirdo coming out to get us. Maybe I'm just paranoid because of our two experiences. I don't like CB's. I feel that they make me a mark.

"Hey this person is stranded and helpless out in the desert."

I wish I had more faith in people.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
camperpaul wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:
No ideas...but I have had the GPS working perfectly with no cell reception many times.

That is because the GPS system doesn't use the cell towers.

It uses "Low Earth Orbit" (LEO) satellites.

As long as your GPS receiver can "see" three or more of these satellites, it can calculate your position to within a few feet. There are very few places on the planet where it won't work as long as it has a clear view of the sky.

and this helps you avoid traffic jams, delays, wrecks, tells you which lane is getting through, etc. exactly how???
bumpy

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Jarlaxle wrote:
No ideas...but I have had the GPS working perfectly with no cell reception many times.

That is because the GPS system doesn't use the cell towers.

It uses "Low Earth Orbit" (LEO) satellites.

As long as your GPS receiver can "see" three or more of these satellites, it can calculate your position to within a few feet. There are very few places on the planet where it won't work as long as it has a clear view of the sky.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:
D & M wrote:
2500 Grunt wrote:
For all of you old timers (I'm 43)lol, if using a cell phone then Google maps has traffic on it and it is real time and a free download! Not sure how fast things get reported though. Also, my Android phone or operating platform has many free apps like Google maps with traffic, scanner radio (used to scan local fire, police traffic etc and many more) and weather updates using phone gps. The only downside is reception. I use my CB for most of the above comments too along with my cell phone. My answer to the OP'S question is: Yes!

Tell me there young pup (:)), Does your cell phone tell you where radar setups are? Does Google let you know where a rainstorm is starting to slow traffic? Or does it let you know instantly if the lines at the Pilot fuel pumps are shorter at the Flying J? Sometimes things in life need the "old fashioned" human touch. :W

Actually, yes, it can...I don't have the app, but yes, there IS a speed-trap warning available for Smartphones! It gives me real-time traffic & weather reports.

I wonder, how well is your Smartphone going to work on...oh, let's say U.S. Highway 2 between East Glacier and West Glacier?
Or, Montana State Highway 200 over Roger's pass?
Or along the Little Blackfoot River between Lincoln and Clearwater Junction?
CB radios work great in all those areas, and much more.
A cell phone is useless over a lot of territory out here.
Right on Mowermech, We travel out that way quit often. We were there this past Christmas, been there in Oct.,and again Come next May. No traffic problems out you way, which is great. I fill up in Billings and am good to Great Falls plus. Yes cell phone reception can be spotty.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
All u got to do is ,turn it on to get any info, and just listen. And now it's all. Happy-camping

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Jarlaxle wrote:
My traffic updates are from satellites...I don't need cell reception for them.

I hope your required satellites are more reliable in position than those I use for XM Sirius.
bumpy

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
My traffic updates are from satellites...I don't need cell reception for them.
Current rig:

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Jarlaxle wrote:
D & M wrote:
2500 Grunt wrote:
For all of you old timers (I'm 43)lol, if using a cell phone then Google maps has traffic on it and it is real time and a free download! Not sure how fast things get reported though. Also, my Android phone or operating platform has many free apps like Google maps with traffic, scanner radio (used to scan local fire, police traffic etc and many more) and weather updates using phone gps. The only downside is reception. I use my CB for most of the above comments too along with my cell phone. My answer to the OP'S question is: Yes!

Tell me there young pup (:)), Does your cell phone tell you where radar setups are? Does Google let you know where a rainstorm is starting to slow traffic? Or does it let you know instantly if the lines at the Pilot fuel pumps are shorter at the Flying J? Sometimes things in life need the "old fashioned" human touch. :W

Actually, yes, it can...I don't have the app, but yes, there IS a speed-trap warning available for Smartphones! It gives me real-time traffic & weather reports.

I wonder, how well is your Smartphone going to work on...oh, let's say U.S. Highway 2 between East Glacier and West Glacier?
Or, Montana State Highway 200 over Roger's pass?
Or along the Little Blackfoot River between Lincoln and Clearwater Junction?
CB radios work great in all those areas, and much more.
A cell phone is useless over a lot of territory out here.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

resmas
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you wanting to improve the performance of your CB, there are shops around that can "tune" it for you, and get you set up with the right antennas to improve reception. Get on 19 and ask a trucker. Sometimes truckstops will have a small shop near them, or on the property. DH gets all our CB's "fixed" that way. We have one in every vehicle, and they are STILL more usefull than cell phones for certain things.

CB's have literally saved our lives before when we were involved in a road rage incident for ~40 miles. Two guys high on drugs were trying to car-jack us on I-40. Because we had a CB, we were able to communicate with nearby truckers, who literally saved us by blocking the road rage guys. The truckers even pinned the carjackers onto a concrete bridge so the HP could drag them out of the car and arrest them. Try doing that with your Smartphone. And yes, I was on my cell phone with 911 the whole time. 911 kept telling me to pull over and talk to the guys. Ha!

We will ALWAYS have CB's.
2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
Jarlaxle wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
D & M wrote:
2500 Grunt wrote:

hey, when they dump $500 into a gadget and pay $75 a month for service, they have to try to justify the purchase somehow to the wife. no dear, a $34 CB radio just won't work. :s
bumpy

$45/month for service (unlimited everything), the phone cost $140. I'm not an Apple cultist.

You win. You have the coolest toys.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

snowdance
Explorer
Explorer
I am 75 and do love my cell phone. What I like most about mine is it gets service about 70% of the places we go. I have service from US Cellular. My phone is voice only and the military style water proof and rubber case so can be dropped. Most of my friends are big on their phones and they do every thing. They also have service from the big companys. Theirs work about 15% of the places we go. So I get to hand them my phone so they can call some one often. Makes me feel good that my old work horse phone does so well.

The rest of the time its the CB for us..
Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
D & M wrote:
2500 Grunt wrote:

hey, when they dump $500 into a gadget and pay $75 a month for service, they have to try to justify the purchase somehow to the wife. no dear, a $34 CB radio just won't work. :s
bumpy

$45/month for service (unlimited everything), the phone cost $140. I'm not an Apple cultist.
Current rig:

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
D & M wrote:
2500 Grunt wrote:

Current rig: