cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are other drivers killing your RV experience?

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I see frequent speeding, tailgating, a general lack of regard for other drivers.

What is it making people like that? I like to help other drivers so what gives :h
78 REPLIES 78

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just one.. he hit me while I was parked so the INsurance co said "Totaled".
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think a lot of it now is that they have figured out that there is much less enforcement going on. Between mass LEO retirements and the reluctance for much contact it's the wild wild west out there again.
Puma 30RKSS

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
It's always a fun time when the other driver on an entrance ramp doesn't remember what YIELD means!! Esp when there is an 18 wheeler or double along side you!! Pretty regular occurrence even out here in the "wide open wild west"!!!!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
noteven wrote:
I usta drive commercial trucks...

And now besides my mobile shelter moto camp appliance (aka RV rig) I rides motorsickles...

So traffic doesn't bother so much...

But I did have an unexpected incident a week 10 days ago when I had to slow down the combine I was piloting cutting wheat to let a bull moose have right of way across my path.

I like how you think! And jealous of where you work!
Rock on brotha!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
No, but RVers are killing my other driving experiences!!
Lol
Silly thread of the day...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
I live on LI, NY so to go anywhere you have to deal with it. Once I'm done with the Long Island and Cross Bronx Expressways everything else is a piece of cake.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yester-years drivers our age today thought the same thing about us back then.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I usta drive commercial trucks...

And now besides my mobile shelter moto camp appliance (aka RV rig) I rides motorsickles...

So traffic doesn't bother so much...

But I did have an unexpected incident a week 10 days ago when I had to slow down the combine I was piloting cutting wheat to let a bull moose have right of way across my path.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Got my DL in '58. One thing I've noticed in all these years is a lack of motor vehicle code enforcement in towns and big cities compared to number of LEO's/miles of roads back in the '50s/60s . Lot more highways and lot more drivers on the roads driving like they want. Let er' rip.
Also back then fines would dent the ol' pocket book unlike today.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have not been driving much since the start of Covid. When I do I am amazed. There are way more aggressive drivers and speeds have increased. Today roads were slick with a heavy rainstorm and the traffic was moving about 70 mph in a 55 zone.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Social media is making many people poor citizens. JMHO
Roads are getting more crowded too.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Narcissism.
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

OLEJOE
Explorer
Explorer
I understand how you feel. I drove class 8’s for almost 40 years and the traffic now days is why I decided to retire early at 62. Since we started RVing, I try to get through major metropolitan areas during non-peak times. I’ll leave early to get ahead of the morning rush and stop for lunch during that period. Just keep yourself safe and let’em go. We went through Denver on a Sunday morning at 5 am their time and it was very easy.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
camilllit wrote:
Yes! We actually cancelled our trip from PA to Myrtle Beach SC because at 65 years old driving around the Baltimore and Washington outer loops scares me stiff. I know what its like just driving my 8,000 dually, they play with me like I'm a toy. Don't they respect size and mass? Pulling a 41' fifth wheel with a dually 4x4 8' bed is Xanax time, I can't stop this train on a dime! I try to maintain safe following distance to give me some room to stop......forget it. Three cars cut in front of me. I guess if I leave at midnight is best, shouldn't be too crazy at 2-4 am?

I hear you loud and clear. I'm 69 and my neck gets painfully tense from the risk takers around me. Now it's my leg starting in on the tension.

I finally slowed to a comforting speed and not let anyone push me into the fast pace. We have lots of deer with turns hills and bends that make it unsafe going fast and at some of the high speed limits the state posted up in some areas. I do what is safe on back roads and byways. The freeway I go with the trucks as that seems to work.

There are a lot of speeders these days, but adding to the problem are the ones that know what is right and good driving habits yet refuse to practice it. That seems odd to me.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
BB_TX wrote:
The antics of some drivers is sometimes mind boggling. But I don’t let them bother me. I drive the appropriate speed in the appropriate lane for the highway I am on. I don’t drive in the left lane on a multi lane highway unless I am approaching a slow vehicle and no one is approaching from behind in the left lane. If I am slower than the limit and holding up traffic I will pull over if a pull over or pull out is available. But if I am going the posted limit I will not pull over just so someone can go 10-15 over.
They are going to drive as they will and I have no control over that, so not my concern. Relax and enjoy the trip.

My thoughts exactly.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers