cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Attempted Break In

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
This morning we had someone try to break in. It was only a crime of opportunity, but it was the first time I've experienced this in the past approximately 600 nights traveling and sleeping in the RV.

There was a rental truck parked next to us. I was already awake at 6am or so and heard someone trying to open our main RV door 3 times. They gave it a good forceful pull and gave up after they found it was locked and wasn't going to open easily.

I started paying attention to what was going on outside after hearing this. All the windows were open.

I saw the would be thief walk up the passenger side of the RV and get into the rented truck he was driving!

He looked up at the RV a few times after getting in the truck. I could see him but he couldn't see me.

I took pictures of his license plate, of him, of everything.

But... Makes no sense to report it since he was driving a rental truck anyway. Can't get him fired for it. He's renting a truck. It was a rental box truck probably full of stolen goods anyway.

FYI, this happened in Ottawa, Ontario Canada.

And to the gun conversation... Mine is in storage because it's difficult to take them across borders. The one time I don't have it on me, I'm wishing I had it as a backup plan. What if this guy was successful or pried the door open. May have turned out differently.
46 REPLIES 46

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
The police will take a report and will do nothing.

Gdub2
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Lots of foolish posturing here....
In Canada where the OP was when this happened - you better not have a hand gun...

In the U.S. if they actually break in and are inside then you probably have some defense if you shoot. If they are just rattling the door knob and you shoot...they walk and you go to jail.
your wrong
in Texas after dark they don't walk away and no you don't go to jail.
You can protect you and family and your personal property with shoot to kill.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is not even a subject for discussion. Report it immediately. They might kill the next person they park next to.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of foolish posturing here....
In Canada where the OP was when this happened - you better not have a hand gun...

In the U.S. if they actually break in and are inside then you probably have some defense if you shoot. If they are just rattling the door knob and you shoot...they walk and you go to jail.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Had a guy break into our house while we were sleeping, he thought we were away. Cops got him and he paid a small trespassing fine. Shoulda shot the sucker.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Gdub2 wrote:
I don't care were we have traveled to whether it was Canada or Mexico
Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson or the Glock brothers always go with us.
Have never had the TV or TT searched ever.

let's hope you're not in mexico when it happens.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
I always have bear repellent handy in the RV.

Me too. Right inside the door, but out of site. I have carried it ever since I got pinned in my camper by a pit bull that the owners left alone.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
Because some are talking like they are going to shoot someone and the guy didn't even come in. They have to come in and at me before I will shoot.
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

Gdub2
Explorer
Explorer
mat60 wrote:
I like guns two to but this isn't a John Wayne movie.
What does a John Wayne movie have to do with
Protecting your property and family from the low life in this
world.

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
And speaking to the bear spray post... I completely forgot I had it!! Lol.

never mind
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I crossed the Canadian border at Sumas WA which is near Abbotsford, BC. We were driving a Toyota MH which I admit was an older RV. The Canadian Border Patrol spent over a half hour going through everything in the RV. I guarantee that if I would have had my Ruger with me, they would have found it. They removed everything from the cupboards, moved everything in the fridge, moved the battery box under the sofa, everything was gone through. I don't want a record that would keep me from being free to travel.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
While I do agree that nothing will probably be done, and you would have most likely just been blown off with a "Thank you, we'll sure check into it" response, I probably would have made a call. Not necessarily a 911 but a heads-up call to the local LEO's.

Having a gun and using it could have turned a non-event into a real mess. Knowing when you need a weapon is more important than acting like Rambo.

I'm a moderate. I have a weapon in the RV as a backup plan when someone is coming into it, like if this guy managed to get in. There is no Rambo bs here. Just a choice of last resort quietly user when you have no other option. Please do skip the gun lecture. I don't need one. Not a gun nut and not an anti gun freak. Just a normal person who is usually prepared for the worst case scenario.

And speaking to the bear spray post... I completely forgot I had it!! Lol.

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fizz wrote:
Gdub2 wrote:

Blah, blah, blah...

What does this have to do with the original post?

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
I like guns two to but this isn't a John Wayne movie.
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Gdub2 wrote:

Blah, blah, blah...

What does this have to do with the original post?