cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning Draining

bradnailer
Explorer
Explorer
On the awnings I've had on previous trailers, I could set them up so one side was lower than the other and rain water could drain off. Now, I have an electric awning and I've not figured out how to tilt it to one side. Not sure of the brand but it's on our Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS. Here's the best photo I could find.

Is it possible with this type of awning?

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Prior: Jayco Pop Up, Shasta Bunkhouse, Rockwood Pop Up
24 REPLIES 24

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
willald wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
R12RTee wrote:
Your awning appears to be the A&E Dometic Weather Pro. If it is this is how it works.

Left Arm
Your A & E awning is designed to shed water if left out in
light rain. If water builds up on the awning, the left arm will
automatically decrease the awning height approximately 9
inches. When there is no longer the need to shed water it
will return to the normal height.

Have you tried it in the rain yet?
Electric awnings are great and anyone that thinks a manual is better is still in the stone age and seem to really hate changes.

OR we just like things that we can use. An awning that has to be retracted in the rain, ANY rain. Is useless.
Last week at the beach it was raining so hard visibility was nil, and it sounded like thunder on the TT roof. But the manual awning was out, and doing just fine. Doing it's job. Water running off of it like Niagara Falls.

I did however, take it in during the tornado warning. Wind got up some. But you know. Those DeFlappers work wonders

Terry, I thought like you for many years. Loved our manual awning, wanted nothing else. Water won't drain off electric one, blah blah blah, I always thought.

Then, when we moved up to a MH over a year ago, we were forced to go to an electric awning, as that was pretty much the only thing they put on the one we wanted.

I was very skeptical, even thought about pulling it off and spending a bunch of $$ to put on a a manual awning. However, I did not, and now am very glad I didn't do something so foolish. With time I have learned to really appreciate what the electric awning offers over a manual awning.

Ours is like many described here - when the weight of rain on the awning gets too much, one side will automatically lower a few inches to let the water off. Once the water drains off, it goes back to its original height. And, no, it is not anything electrical that does the lowering and raising to release water, its all done with springs, tension arms, etc.

However, if you really, really must lower one side, you can do that easily as well with ours, by loosening the adjust knob, pull the side down where you want it, then tighten the knob to hold it to that height.

Contrary to what some think (and I did as well for many years), electric awnings handle water drain-off very well, actually better than a manual awning, IMO. Of all the pros/cons of manual vs electric awnings, water drain-off is actually an advantage of the electric awning, NOT a disadvantage, since it handles such for you without requiring you to manually lower one side.

The huge, huge advantage an electric awning gives that I've really learned to appreciate, and the reason why I prefer it overall: When a big storm comes up like that tornado warning you had, Terry....I push one button from INSIDE the camper, and the awning rolls itself up in a matter of seconds. I don't even have to step outside if its already raining. Some of them can even be worked by a remote control. Also, when I get to our campsite and am very tired and want some shade, there again, I just push a button and seconds later the awning is out and I have shade. Once you get used to that, you won't want to go back to a manual awning, Terry. ๐Ÿ™‚

All that said, there are some disadvantages to an electric awning - They tend to sit higher up, harder to get to for cleaning. In some cases they do not give quite as much shade area due to their height, angle. And, they come with the risk that one day an electrical malfunction could render it inoperable.

If you don't want/like an electric awning for those reasons, I can definitely understand and respect that. However, don't use rain drain-off as an excuse/reason, as that reasoning really doesn't "hold water" (hahahahaha!) with the way electric awnings are made now.

Thanks Willard.
I'm just going on what these electric users say. Reading their posts. They all talk about having to retract it in rain, and anything more than a lite wind. One even said they are NOT for rain. Mine stays out in anything but a tornado warning. It will, in the carport position take winds to 25 MPH with ease.
I'm glad you like your's. but it's just not robust enough for me, as you can't carport it to make it more stable. In the carport position. It does not jerk the TT around in a strong wind. I guess I just like simple things.

I can also lay mine completely down flat against the side of the TT to clean it, Simply by unfastening it from the side of the TT, and letting the arms slide under the TT.

So I recon I'll stay with the manual.

And I do sit at the CG, and watch some of the electric ones flap around in the wind. Seems the wind can cause the dump arm to bend as well as water. Scary when it does.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terryallan wrote:
R12RTee wrote:
Your awning appears to be the A&E Dometic Weather Pro. If it is this is how it works.

Left Arm

Electric awnings are great and anyone that thinks a manual is better is still in the stone age and seem to really hate changes.

OR we just like things that we can use. An awning that has to be retracted in the rain, ANY rain. Is useless.
Last week at the beach it was raining so hard visibility was nil, and it sounded like thunder on the TT roof. But the manual awning was out, and doing just fine. Doing it's job. Water running off of it like Niagara Falls.

I did however, take it in during the tornado warning. Wind got up some. But you know. Those DeFlappers work wonders

Terry, I thought like you for many years. Loved our manual awning, wanted nothing else. Water won't drain off electric one, blah blah blah, I always thought.

Then, when we moved up to a MH over a year ago, we were forced to go to an electric awning, as that was pretty much the only thing they put on the one we wanted.

I was very skeptical, even thought about pulling it off and spending a bunch of $$ to put on a a manual awning. However, I did not, and now am very glad I didn't do something so foolish. With time I have learned to really appreciate what the electric awning offers over a manual awning.

Ours is like many described here - when the weight of rain on the awning gets too much, one side will automatically lower a few inches to let the water off. Once the water drains off, it goes back to its original height. And, no, it is not anything electrical that does the lowering and raising to release water, its all done with springs, tension arms, etc.

However, if you really, really must lower one side, you can do that easily as well with ours, by loosening the adjust knob, pull the side down where you want it, then tighten the knob to hold it to that height.

Contrary to what some think (and I did as well for many years), electric awnings handle water drain-off very well, actually better than a manual awning, IMO. Of all the pros/cons of manual vs electric awnings, water drain-off is actually an advantage of the electric awning, NOT a disadvantage, since it handles such for you without requiring you to manually lower one side.

The huge, huge advantage an electric awning gives that I've really learned to appreciate, and the reason why I prefer it overall: When a big storm comes up like that tornado warning you had, Terry....I push one button from INSIDE the camper, and the awning rolls itself up in a matter of seconds. I don't even have to step outside if its already raining. Some of them can even be worked by a remote control. Also, when I get to our campsite and am very tired and want some shade, there again, I just push a button and seconds later the awning is out and I have shade. Once you get used to that, you won't want to go back to a manual awning, Terry. ๐Ÿ™‚

All that said, there are some disadvantages to an electric awning - They tend to sit higher up, harder to get to for cleaning. In some cases they do not give quite as much shade area due to their height, angle. And, they come with the risk that one day an electrical malfunction could render it inoperable.

If you don't want/like an electric awning for those reasons, I can definitely understand and respect that. However, don't use rain drain-off as an excuse/reason, as that reasoning really doesn't "hold water" (hahahahaha!) with the way electric awnings are made now.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

rambotheshark
Explorer
Explorer
I think there should be knob on the arm that you can loosen, adjust that awning side as wanted, then tighten the knob. I can't say it will stay that way after a good gust, but if it like my older trailer it could be done that way.

That being said when I bought my fifth-wheel less than a week ago the dealer specifically told me that the awning is to block sun, not stop rain.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Mh had the same system and dumped well after we found the problem. Ours came with the wrong fabric installed and would not go out far enough to let the arms slide as needed. Be sure you extend your awning out all the way and it should dump fine on its on.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
bradnailer wrote:
On the awnings I've had on previous trailers, I could set them up so one side was lower than the other and rain water could drain off. Now, I have an electric awning and I've not figured out how to tilt it to one side. Not sure of the brand but it's on our Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS. Here's the best photo I could find.

Is it possible with this type of awning?

Here is a suggestion to see if your awning operates well in the rain. If you have access to a water hose near your camper, why not hook it up and spray as much water on it as you can. Don't know if you can put the volume of water on it like a heavy rain, but it might give you an idea if it "adjusts" itself.

bradnailer
Explorer
Explorer
R12RTee wrote:

Left Arm

A few weeks ago, we were camping in Colorado. It rained almost every day. One afternoon, it rained pretty hard and pretty constantly for several hours. I was sitting under the awning enjoying the rain. Occasionally, the awning would dump off to one side. Guess it was working like it was supposed to. Just wanted to bounce this off you all.

Thanks for the comments.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Prior: Jayco Pop Up, Shasta Bunkhouse, Rockwood Pop Up

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. Lots of misinformation in here. There's No such thing as an electric awning that has to retracted in the rain. Ours looks different than the OPs but it's electric, has auto-dumping and I can manually tilt either side if I want water to shed off a certain direction.

Some of the older electrics were bad as they basically had no tilt feature and were straight out from the camper which didn't help with shade in certain situations.

I would never trade my electric for a manual.

Some of you are just scared of change.
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

R12RTee
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
R12RTee wrote:

Left Arm

You have no idea how electric awnings work. Stick to something you have actual knowledge of. Electric awnings work as well and usually better as manual awnings in the rain.
2021 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA
2021 Ram 6.7 HO

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
And if your electric awning does not have the adjustable arm on it...go to an RV store and if it is a Dometic...the replacement arm is free. Takes about 10 minutes to install and you can tilt it manually. I know....I did this about 6 months ago.
cpaulsen

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
R12RTee wrote:

Left Arm

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

MOtrout
Explorer
Explorer
CincyGus wrote:
I don't get it but call me Caveman Gus from now on (look for a name change coming soon ๐Ÿ˜‰ Nothing against anyone that has an electric awning. I've never owned one so I don't know the in's and out's of them, what they can or can't do or if they are better or worse than a manual awning. I can tell you that my manual awning takes me all of about 4-5 minutes to set up by myself, without breaking a sweat and gives me maximum adjustability. I love a manual, especially coming from a popup where I had to fight with poles and guidelines and all that. Seems to me it might be one of those things that wasn't really necessary to change but in our electric, remote control, unmanned spacecraft world, progress is measured differently by different people. Enjoy what you've got or sell it or give it away to someone and get something you like.

Happy Camping.

Gus,
People don't always have the choice of which awning comes on the RV that they buy off of the lot. So when you jump in your horse and carriage to pull your covered wagon down the trail to the campground, enjoy your trip. Just make sure to scoop up the mess along your way.LOL

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't get it but call me Caveman Gus from now on (look for a name change coming soon ๐Ÿ˜‰ Nothing against anyone that has an electric awning. I've never owned one so I don't know the in's and out's of them, what they can or can't do or if they are better or worse than a manual awning. I can tell you that my manual awning takes me all of about 4-5 minutes to set up by myself, without breaking a sweat and gives me maximum adjustability. I love a manual, especially coming from a popup where I had to fight with poles and guidelines and all that. Seems to me it might be one of those things that wasn't really necessary to change but in our electric, remote control, unmanned spacecraft world, progress is measured differently by different people. Enjoy what you've got or sell it or give it away to someone and get something you like.

Happy Camping.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

MOtrout
Explorer
Explorer
Oh I forgot. Mine has the auto dump feature as well. Just leave the lock knobs loose and it will dump if it gets to heavy from the rain not draining off.

MOtrout
Explorer
Explorer
I have a FE 246RKS and you can tilt it to drain off the rain. Just pull down on the end you want the water draining to and tighten the knob on the rail to lock it down. It really needs to be put back in under heavy rain and wind though. Just unlock the knob and it will pop back up and then you can retract it.

If this seems too hard to comprehend just go to YOUTUBE and type in search field power RV awning. You will be able to watch how to use it.

Rich