cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bathroom Privacy

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Well, sure enough it happened. The wife opened the door while my son's friend was in the bathroom doing some paperwork. Just a quick "ahh!" and then nothing so not a big deal. Nothing seen or anything. ๐Ÿ™‚

But our bathroom door has no lock. I don't want a regular door knob lock because sure enough, somebody will accidentally lock the door when they walk out. I don't want one of those locks where a bolt slides into the door frame because I don't want to drill a large hole in the camper if I can help it.

Anybody else been in this situation and come up with a good idea? It doesn't have to be a big security thing. Just something to keep someone from opening the door while I'm in there pondering world peace or something like that.
31 REPLIES 31

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a regular house type bathroom door knob. It has a little screwdriver to insert and unlock, I keep it in the tool box. Yes my daughter has locked it on the way out
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS ๐Ÿ˜› 2007, DD :C 2008

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
lawnspecialties wrote:
Thanks for all the helpful responses. As usual, some responses were not.

We have had the Work & Play for one year. Been on 18 trips so far. This is the first time this has happened. My wife had gotten up early on Sunday morning to shower. Then she went into the bedroom to dress. She was in there maybe 3-4 minutes before she went back to the bathroom. Everyone else was still asleep (she thought). But my son's friend must have gotten hit with an early morning issue and he got up to take care of it.

So basically, this was one of those times where rare circumstances just happen to fall right in line. We've always knocked if the door was closed and everyone wasn't accounted for. But in all honesty, most folks would have never knocked in her situation.

This is why I'm looking to change this set-up. Its only happened once in 18 trips but since it could cause such huge embarrassment to someone, I'd rather eliminate all possibility of it happening again.

You could also just figure everybody knows what bodies look like and it'll probably be at least 18 trips before this happens again anyway.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dog Folks wrote:
A small occupied sign on a chain.

One side says "occupied" the other says "available."

Turn the appropriate side outward.

We leave the door open in our camper. The door closed means "occupied."

Yep, we leave the door open unless your in it at home or in the camper. Same with any room we have unless you want some privacy.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
DOTLDaddy wrote:
Uhhh . . . . maybe knock first if the door is closed? :@

Well that would be the Common Sense method, enough said. :S
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the helpful responses. As usual, some responses were not.

We have had the Work & Play for one year. Been on 18 trips so far. This is the first time this has happened. My wife had gotten up early on Sunday morning to shower. Then she went into the bedroom to dress. She was in there maybe 3-4 minutes before she went back to the bathroom. Everyone else was still asleep (she thought). But my son's friend must have gotten hit with an early morning issue and he got up to take care of it.

So basically, this was one of those times where rare circumstances just happen to fall right in line. We've always knocked if the door was closed and everyone wasn't accounted for. But in all honesty, most folks would have never knocked in her situation.

This is why I'm looking to change this set-up. Its only happened once in 18 trips but since it could cause such huge embarrassment to someone, I'd rather eliminate all possibility of it happening again.

Explorer II
Explorer II
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Yup, bathroom door locks can be opened by using a small pin if they ever get locked accidentally. And, as someone said a lot of them will unlock if you try to shut the door after locking them.
This is how mine work. If you press the button to lock and then close the door it will unlock. You can't lock the door before you close it.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
i was going to comment about somebody needing a magnifying glass, but never mind. :B

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yup, bathroom door locks can be opened by using a small pin if they ever get locked accidentally. And, as someone said a lot of them will unlock if you try to shut the door after locking them.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go to any hardware store that sells door hardware and look for a bathroom privacy door knob set and swap it with what's in there now. The privacy sets can be locked on the bathroom side by the occupant and on the exterior can be opened by pushing a small pin or nail into the small hole in the handle/knob. Doors need to be able to be opened from outside the bathroom for safety reasons.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
OkSixpack wrote:
Most of the knobs with a push button for locking come with a little tool to unlock it from the outside with. It's basically just a little rod. They are inexpensive and easy to find. Jim

x2. This type can be unlocked with an unrolled paperclip, should the need arise.
(Yes, I know this from experience.)
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
DOTLDaddy wrote:
Uhhh . . . . maybe knock first if the door is closed? :@

That's our method...works great:W

MrWizard
A little hook latch or slide bolt cabinet bolt
Mount high enough small children can't reach it
Simple and easy for adults to use
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
OkSixpack wrote:
Most of the knobs with a push button for locking come with a little tool to unlock it from the outside with. It's basically just a little rod. They are inexpensive and easy to find.
Jim

This. Have used it many times when my kids were young.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
lawnspecialties wrote:
The wife opened the door while my son's friend was in the bathroom doing some paperwork.

Is that what they're calling it now? :B
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8