cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bed in a Box Mattress Advice

danberg36
Explorer
Explorer
Hey All - Picking up our new 5'er in a few weeks, and already know we will have to replace the lumpy token mattress. Has anyone tried the "Bed in a Box"? Pretty compulsive ads on their website with lots of testimonials. However, I am more comfortable with reviews that are not provided via a sellers website. Anyone with first hand experience with this product, please let us know your thoughts. Thanks!
Dan & Shirlee
http://www.bedinabox.com/
24 REPLIES 24

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
Last year, I was in your position looking for a mattress. As an alternative, I looked at AEROBED air mattresses. Made by Coleman.
Used it on a 115 night trip. It is the most comfortable mattress I have ever slept on. Comes with a built in air pump. The main thing you have to remember is to partially deflate if you are going into the mountains. The lower air pressure causes the air inside to expand--bang. They weigh 30 or so pounds and mine came shipped for about $100.
One negative--One of the interior supports broke after the trip and it developed a bulge. It was still usable, however. I wrote AEROBED and sent pictures. It was under warrantee and I got a new one in 10 days.

Cuffs054
Explorer
Explorer
I don't what brand mine is, but it came rolled up in a box. There were clear instruction to NOT take it out of the box until you have it in place. A WISE person will heed that advice. When we took ours out it looked like the I Love Lucy episode with the bread dough growing out of the oven! Love sleeping on it and I'm about 350 lbs.

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 5" and have had it for a couple of years, no complaints at all.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a regular mattress with a memory foam topper - used every night for 3 years now and still comfortable.

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
We tried it at a mattress store (Slumberland.) Personally if you are a normal to light weight person and are used to memory foam type beds you might do well with it. However if you are a slightly heavier than normal person...the one we tried at the store was way too soft. We are used to a memory foam topper but the bed in a box did not have enough firm support in the middle to be comfortable.

My best advice...find a furniture/mattress store that has one set up and go lay on it for a few minutes. I think that is the only way to really know if it is for you!

Good luck...shopping for mattresses is worse than finding a pair of shoes that feel good on bad feet!
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Would you buy it to sleep on at home? Buy the best quality mattress you can find if you want a good nights sleep.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
HappyKayakers wrote:
I can't speak to this particular company but I bought a memory foam mattress in a box at Wal-Mart about 7 years ago. Still comfy to sleep on and it gets used 365 days a year.

When we purchased our new-to-us 5'er last year, we ordered the mattress the same evening we put money down on it at the dealership.

We spent 107 nights in it last year and it still sleeps as well as our Tempurpedic we have at our house.

Spa Sensations Gel Memory Foam, queen 8" is what we got from Walmart. It has excellent reviews.

NOTE ON EDIT: DH is a large man, excess of 275# and over 6'.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We bought Bed in a Box at the recommendation of this forum and we love it!! No more hip pain! We bought the Original PacBed RV Queen. We bought the 11" thick mattress because it said it was more firm. And we added the gel which makes it cooler. So glad we did. It comes delivered in a box, weighs about 70 pounds. We removed the old mattress (the most difficult part) brought the box in, put the box on the platform, Opened the box. Next step is to CAREFULLY removed the shrink wrap without cutting the mattress!! I would not use a box cutter. We used scissors. There is a video showing how to properly do this. Voila! instant bed. Great warranty. We wish we had bought this mattress sooner! Search on this forum for bedinabox and you should see more reviews. That's how we found out about it.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

steelpony5555
Explorer
Explorer
Was gonna say, I saw them at Sams Club the other day. Buy it there and try it out, if it don't seem to be what you want then return it. You may have trouble getting it back in the box though lol lol lol.......
14 Cedar Creek Silverback 29IK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
14 Chrysler 300
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)

Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
I can't speak to this particular company but I bought a memory foam mattress in a box at Wal-Mart about 7 years ago. Still comfy to sleep on and it gets used 365 days a year.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch