Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bicycle cover

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

I have a trailer hitch bike rack. I travel with two bikes and need a high quality bike cover. I don't want to buy one of those cheapo models that will tear in two weeks.

Does anyone have a recommendation that you have been happy with? I don't mind spending what it takes to get something good.

Thanks,

Stuart
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014
12 REPLIES 12

RVman3252
Explorer
Explorer
workhardplayharder wrote:
Swagman

This is the one we have used for 5 years and it looks like it is new. One thing I do, is when the cover is in place, I use a "spider type" bungee cord over it so it does not flop around with the wind.
RVman3252
3252Px3 KZ Sportsmen Limited Triple Slide Fifth Wheel
Dodge Ram HD3500 CrewCab, Longbed 4x4 Cummins w/ PullRite Super 5th

Good Sam Life Member

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
go to a canvas place where they make awnings and boat covers. I have a custom made carrier and 2 bikes and had one made for $205. Full length zipper all around, waterproof and 96% dustproof. He made it to fit my bikes and it is perfect. No one size fits all.

azjeffh
Explorer
Explorer
S-n-L wrote:
Thanks everyone,

I will check out the Swagman. I am hoping I can find something "off the shelf" rather than getting one custom as I would imagine an mass produced would be a better value for the same quality.

Stuart

You don't mention what type you have, a platform or single arm rack.

The Swagman worked well with our single arm but will not work with our Thule platform.
Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

nelson
Explorer
Explorer
I use an atv cover I got from Northern Tool. Works good
2002 Damon Challenger 348 Ford V10
Blue Ox Auto Stop and Aventa II Tow Bar
2001 Ford Sport Trac with Remco Driveshaft Disconnect

TARDIS_TIME_TRA
Explorer
Explorer
Folding bike stowage. We have two folding bikes which will fit behind the driverโ€™s seat when we travel with/out our two dogs. We have a large stowage box mounted on the rear of the vehicle on double receiver s. On each side we have racks which will accommodate two 5/6 gal water & fuel can each side or now one folding bike one on each side. We purchased two 30โ€ round Grill covers to protect the bikes from the weather (see photos). Looks like this is going to work well (Less than $10.00 each)[/img]
"TARDIS" time travelers
2011 Ford F350 4X4 Super Cab Bengal Tiger
David & Holly Fox
Chesapeake, Va.

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on gas grill cover! Put over 8k miles on one while on the road to/from AK, still very functional. Only spent about $20 for it, too. Got the idea from another traveller on the road. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone,

I will check out the Swagman. I am hoping I can find something "off the shelf" rather than getting one custom as I would imagine an mass produced would be a better value for the same quality.

Stuart
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Can't imagine why a qualified seamstress with a commercial machine couldn't accomplish a custom cover. Just a matter of tracing the exterior shape and using a waterproof fabric with a high density. Heck, I could pull that off with a Singer Stylist with a moveable feed dog.In layperson's terms just use the same fabric.......a sailmaker would know.

BillyandKris
Explorer
Explorer
We have tried the thin cheapo ones and they tear up. Also most are made for hang the bikes type rack. We are getting a new "sit upon" type hitch mounted bike rack. We bought an extra large grill cover for like $35 to put over the bikes when they are off the camper and sitting around in the campsite. We are going to get an upholsterer to make a custom fitted cover for the bikes while on the rack going down the road. In case you haven't noticed we like our bikes a lot and they were a bit expensive so we take care of them and can't afford new ones all the time. Our friends had a custom cover made. It is made from like backpack fabric and has a large zipper. Expect to spend around $300 for it. Theirs has lasted about 8 years now and still going. If you are interested, I think I have some photos of theirs which we will be showing to our upholsterer this summer. Will take bikes and rack on the truck over to them to do the work. I had a challenge finding an upholsterer who "likes a challenge". You can PM me and I'll go look for the photos in my computer.

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I use a large BBQ cover. It works very well and has lasted for 4 years so far.
Of course it's not in place when were going down the road.

kayakcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago I needed a new boat cover and the fellow that I went to see was cutting out and sewing a wheelchair cover. Maybe try a place that builds boat covers to see if they could sew you up one.