cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black walnut issue

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
We had planned on being out of Va and on the road by now, but life has thrown us a curveball. And we will likely still be here for the most part for the next 6 months,,,,, or longer.
I had recently built up a parking pad for my class A that was close enough to level to let us work on setting everything up, and run the fridge. But it is located at the edge of my lot and overhung by numerous very large Black Walnut trees, To build a carport for storage through fall and winter will run over $2500.00 from what I have researched. 16' x 24' with a 14' center height.
Those same black walnut trees can be used however to carry a sunshade type screen above the rig. Cutting them down would help, but a couple are on a neighbors lot and overhang mine so it would not solve the problem.
But the same fabric used by Lowes, Home Depot, and Helmart on their garden center can be rigged on strong bungee cords from chains on the trees on my lot. They would cover my solar and skylights as well as the roof vents.
I'm not looking for a solid roof from the trees, the wind would destroy it with me being on a large lake, but the sunbrella fabric would allow some wind to pass through , lessening the effects of the wind. And these seem to hold up on the retail spaces.
Worth trying? Or am I tilting at windmills?
34 REPLIES 34

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
schlep1967 wrote:
Two of these should get you through for $100.
Sun Shade Sails
Choose the 12 x 16 size so you have some overlap and can angle them to the front and back so the Walnuts don't lay on them or roll into the center and end up on the coach roof.

Our last set over our deck lasted us about 7 years. Without walnut falling on them of course.

Thatโ€™s what I was looking at, but a 10 x 20 which would cover panels and vents. And Iโ€™m not worried about the solar being functional while under it, just protected.

10 foot wide may not be wide enough. You will want to tilt it so the walnuts do not lay on it. It will sag some in the middle when it gets wet if it is at all flat. I would consider going with the two wider ones so you can get more angle on them.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
TenOC wrote:
Black Walnut trees sold as lumber is VERY expensive. Some trees sell for over $1,000. Check if you can sell the trees.

I have heard that old line forever. I have about 300 black walnuts and never have been offered anything near that. I don't know where that came from Black Walnut is the dominant species around here and considered by most to be a trash tree.

Not sure if you've ever checked this info before. No real-world experience in lumber pricing, I've just been interested in reading as a woodworker since construction lumber has shoot through the roof.
https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/5259.htmlhttps://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/5259.html
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pitch thats hard to believe. I sold the ones that used to line my driveway for far more than that, they even dug up the roots claimed they sold them to Germany to make pipes. You look the right place you sure can sell them and they do the cutting

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
Sun Shade Sails
Choose the 12 x 16 size so you have some overlap and can angle them to the front and back so the Walnuts don't lay on them or roll into the center and end up on the coach roof.

Our last set over our deck lasted us about 7 years. Without walnut falling on them of course.

Thatโ€™s what I was looking at, but a 10 x 20 which would cover panels and vents. And Iโ€™m not worried about the solar being functional while under it, just protected.

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
Black Walnut trees sold as lumber is VERY expensive. Some trees sell for over $1,000. Check if you can sell the trees.

I have heard that old line forever. I have about 300 black walnuts and never have been offered anything near that. I don't know where that came from Black Walnut is the dominant species around here and considered by most to be a trash tree.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sun Shade Sails

2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Anything is better then nothing. In a good year for the trees the fruit? Or it it a nut? Can do some dammage. I got rid of my trees. They atually cracked the roof of my shead. I feel your pain. And no one in jersey wanted the wood.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well, you are trying to have you cake and eat it too. Maybe.
I remember as a kid, those **** trees thing my grandmaโ€™s beautiful 71 Buick Centurion.
Seems youโ€™ve sort of painted yourself into a corner options wise.
But save for losing solar....do you need that anyway? Parked full time and no power?
Iโ€™d be thinking shade screen, like orchards use. Theyโ€™re about $100. Make a gable frame out of pvc on your roof . Iโ€™d say use lumber but if you do you could probably buy the carport with lumber prices now!
Make a gable frame, drape shade cloth over it. Tie it down to underside of camper or stakes in the ground. Solves every issue save for getting solar
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
So, you will be moving soon, in 6 months? Consider instead parking at a storage lot for $50/month or so. 50x6 = $300. done. cheapest option.
That tree is a nightmare. No way out. Waste to spend on a building if you are moving.

Gas is going up up up. Feel pain. Hyperinflation is rearing its head. $4/gallon, maybe $5 in some western states looming. Save your money, you will need it for gas!!!

No fabric, that is another nightmare.

just tarp it or put an RV cover over it if you must park it there under the hell trees...

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Black walnuts are very messy when the start shelling out in the fall of the year. (We've had them on our properties) They stain and the husks on the nuts themselves are just downright nasty . They don't call them 'black' walnuts for nothing.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Relocate the RV

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:

Two of the largest ones overhanging my pad are on a neighbors lot, and around here they will cost me about $300 each to drop and thats if i let the cutter have the tree.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
To better explain tree size and location.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
rlw999 wrote:
I think the size of the fabric you need means big wind loads, even if the fabric isn't a solid surface. Those fabric roofs at Home Depot have steel or aluminum frames anchored to the ground to hold the fabric in place. You're going to have a much harder time engineering a solution that hangs from trees with some bungies and/or chains and a strong wind could end up pulling some of the branches down along with the shade.

Can you put a cover on the RV? If you still want to use it occasionally, some covers have zippers on the passenger side to let the cover be easily rolled back to gain temporary access to the RV.

I have a cover, but these Black walnuts have destroyed the clear panels on my shed which is right next to the RV, they are larger than a golf ball and falling 40-50 feet. And a cover laying right on the roof wont do much to protect the solar panels or the skylights, The screening I was hoping would deflect them after their 40-60 foot fall to my roof.
I had considered laying/taping a pool float over the solar panels and other roof items and then putting the cover on, but the fabric seemed a better solution.