cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bugslide... it really works

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know there are a lot of ways to get the bugs off of our coaches but stumbled on this one recently and thought I would share. Bought a starter kit of Bugslide at the Laughlin River Run last month to use on my motorcycle {almost as great a bug catcher as our class C}.

{yes I ran the serach feature before posting and it came up empty on "Bugslide".}

Just {pump} spray it on and wait about 30 seconds and then wipe the critters away. It leaves a nice sheen and actually smells pretty decent. I have been having such good results with it over the last month on my New Indian Springfield I decided to go big and tackle our 24' Class C this morning. We had just returned from a 1,300 mile, 10 day, jaunt up to Angel Fire NM and as usual after a trip the cabover was covered in bugs.

Just reaching the cabover of Class C can be a challenge but after a thorough washing {think long handled soft bristle brush} the coach look pretty good... except for the bug collection on the cabover.

By placing a 6' step ladder as close to the cab as possible and moving it a couple of feet every few minutes I was able to reach the entire cabover. This did entail couple of long reaches but with one foot gently resting on a towel near the windshiled and the other on the ladder it was doable. Not much rubbing involved and I even went one step further and put a great coat of wax on after the Bugslide.

The wax is "Chemical Guys - Butter Wax" {Amazon} and puts a shine down like you would not believe. I have also tested this product on my motorcycle with unbelievable results. Anyway here is a pic:

For the record that is our 2012 Nexus Phantom 23P with 49,800+ miles on it. I am guessing that between the Bugslide and the Butter Wax the next crop of bugs should stick less and come off even easier... film at eleven.

:C
31 REPLIES 31

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know about Bugslide, lighter fluid nor any other liquids but what works for us is simply. Go to the local dollar store and buy a box of fabric softener sheets. Spray the area with water and rub the sheets over the area with bugs and rinse off. A little elbow grease might be needed on suborn areas, but generally works like magic.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
rk911 wrote:
Rob, does the charcoal lighter fluid have an adverse effect on the paint?

Rk, no I have used Charcoal Lighter Fluid many times for tar removal. I just make sure I wash my vehicle good immediately after and then get a new coat of wax on it because the Charcoal Lighter Fluid strips the wax off. Any Petroleum distillate will. I would imagine if I didn't wash/wax after using it there could be an adverse effect over time. Similar to gasoline that runs down the side of a vehicle when the tank is overfilled. There's no immediate damage but long term without cleaning will cause yellowing.

similar experience. Charcoal lighter fluid is refined Naptha, an a mild solvent. Bug and tar remover is similar, in most cases Naptha and other solvents.

Naptha is a common solvent found in many many prodcuts ranging from bug removers, it's coleman stove fuel, charcoal ligher fluid, VM&P naptha is naptha foor painting thinner.

Humm, Good to know. But, at what mix level ? Pure Naptha like the types you list has a strong smell. I don't feel comfortable putting anything that strong on paint unless it has been diluted to a very low level.

I don't have my Bugs N All right in front of me but, I think is said something about no petroleum products. Not at all sure about that though.

charcoal lighter fluid is more refined and less odor than many other versions of naptha. Likely reason is to make sure it doesn't impart any taste to what you are cooking.

And I've found that off brands of charcoal lighter fluid do have more odor and some do impart a taste to the food as well.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Naphtha won't eat your paint or gel coat. Neither will mineral spirits, gasoline, lacquer thinner, or acetone. Keep it off the stickers though!

lacquer thinner or acetone may not attack all paints, but will easily remove or damage some paints. Keep those off paint.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Naphtha won't eat your paint or gel coat. Neither will mineral spirits, gasoline, lacquer thinner, or acetone. Keep it off the stickers though!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
ktmrfs wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
rk911 wrote:

Rk, no I have used Charcoal Lighter Fluid many times for tar removal. I just make sure I wash my vehicle good immediately after and then get a new coat of wax on it because the Charcoal Lighter Fluid strips the wax off. Any Petroleum distillate will. I would imagine if I didn't wash/wax after using it there could be an adverse effect over time. Similar to gasoline that runs down the side of a vehicle when the tank is overfilled. There's no immediate damage but long term without cleaning will cause yellowing.

similar experience. Charcoal lighter fluid is refined Naptha, an a mild solvent. Bug and tar remover is similar, in most cases Naptha and other solvents.

Naptha is a common solvent found in many many prodcuts ranging from bug removers, it's coleman stove fuel, charcoal ligher fluid, VM&P naptha is naptha foor painting thinner.

Humm, Good to know. But, at what mix level ? Pure Naptha like the types you list has a strong smell. I don't feel comfortable putting anything that strong on paint unless it has been diluted to a very low level.

I don't have my Bugs N All right in front of me but, I think is said something about no petroleum products. Not at all sure about that though.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
rk911 wrote:

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been using Bugs N All on the front of my pickup and I am very happy with it. I would never use Charcoal Lighter Fluid on anything except charcoal.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AMJ5O22/ref=sxts_k2p-hero-vn-pb_bs_tr_lp_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Desert Captain wrote:
Larry I'm not sure what your point is but I repeat if you think the only ingredients are alcohol and water you are wrong. For the record, your info is 11 years old and only relates to one ingredient... yes I am sure there is alcohol in Bugslide.

I have come acrosss a product that is giving excellent results and just wanted to share this info with others. They can elect to try it or not. If you have actually used Bugslide and had some sort of problem then please enlighten us all but no, you cannot mix water and alcohol and produce Bugslide.

:R

Haha, you've been on here long enough to know that some folks would argue that the sky is actually blue, just for the sake of argument......
Btw, your comment about common ingredients with your favorite cocktail is classic!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Bugslide arrived yesterday. Did the overhang today. It made quick work of the splatter I picked up on last weekend's short camping trip. Left a very nice finish too. So far so good.
We are leaving next Sunday 6/17 for New Mexico, so I'll be able to give an update on how it works on Southwest Fried Beetle innards. More info to follow.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
Rob, sorry to hear you weren't happy with the Bugslide. No idea why you did not get a better result. :h I have been using it for a couple of months now with great success. I do think it gets better with multiple applications as the BS leaves a slick film behind that inhibits the next bug sticking but... when I used it on my Class C which had not been cleaned with anything but water for several months the bugs, splatter an all, came right off.

I think it is a better product than you do... you might want to give it a couple more applications and see if the results don't improve. Good luck!

Glad you liked the Butter Wax, that stuff is amazing.

Captain, I know several others with motorcycles that swear by the bug slide stuff but it just wasn't good for me. I'm glad it works well for you! I will use it until the bottle is empty. No sense throwing away what I bought but I'll have my standy charcoal lighter fluid at the ready if it's needed.

Yes, the Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax is very good. An added benefit is that you can get it on the black molding with the pebble grain without it turning white and impossible to get off.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rob, sorry to hear you weren't happy with the Bugslide. No idea why you did not get a better result. :h I have been using it for a couple of months now with great success. I do think it gets better with multiple applications as the BS leaves a slick film behind that inhibits the next bug sticking but... when I used it on my Class C which had not been cleaned with anything but water for several months the bugs, splatter an all, came right off.

I think it is a better product than you do... you might want to give it a couple more applications and see if the results don't improve. Good luck!

Glad you liked the Butter Wax, that stuff is amazing.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does Bug Slide?

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle