cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Busted For Travelling With Propane Tanks?

longislandcampe
Explorer
Explorer
My brother checked in to a local CG yesterday, setup and then went out to dinner. When they returned they found out they had no water. Turns out somebody in the park had backed into their water spigot and broke the line so they had to shut all the water off in the park before fixing it.

Anyway, my brother was talking to his neighbor about the situation and the neighbor said he had been traveling somewhere with his TT when he got a ticket for traveling with a propane tank.

Has anyone experienced this? I've never heard it brought up on the forums. I'm wondering if the neighbor meant to say he was traveling with the fridge on propane.

Maybe the guy just had too much "milk" as he was dealing with no water. lol
52 REPLIES 52

MrWizard
they have venting, because of exhaust fumes
people using the tunnels need to breath

but LP or NG is an EXplosion/fire hazard

and vehicle accidents do occur
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

mrekim
Explorer
Explorer
Geocritter wrote:
There's a movement to begin fueling semi's with NG, that should be interesting, hard to turn off when that's what's running your engine. As for this I95 tunnel business, is it no propane or just be sure your propane's turned off?
Steve

I think that NG is not quite as bad a propane. Propane is heavier than air so it will accumulate at the bottom of a tunnel where natural gas is lighter than air so it should disperse.

I would have guess that tunnels would have venting to prevent any kind of gas accumulation though....

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
At the Chesapeake Bay bridge-Tunnel, you are stopped at the toll booth and asked nicely to pull over to the side and turn off your propane
However, if you do shut off your propane, be sure to turn it back on when you clear the restricted area or your referig won't work.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
Hoppypoppy wrote:
bukhrn wrote:
Hoppypoppy wrote:
I always have my propane bottles shipped to my camping location.
Kinda hard to do if they're built-in, like mine is.

Mine are built-in too, but I just rip em out. Rip n ship, I call it.

Your reply is ridiculous and should be treated seriously. Just have your RV transported by flat bed truck and off loaded at your campsite. Saves ripping those tanks out. That's what I do.
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
gmctoyman wrote:
Shipping full propane....tanks or bottles, I'll bet that is costly ?
Especially when they go by truck!
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
Shipping full propane....tanks or bottles, I'll bet that is costly ?
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
And I have been planning a trip to Maine from California. Got enough to think about without worrying about the propane bottles in a tunnel. Guess it's best to camp out of the immediate area of the large cities and commute in if we need to. I told my wife I will never run with the bottle valves on. Witnessed a bad fire once. Well I just went out and checked and sure enough, they are on. Which means I didn't shut them off when I returned home with the trailer last trip.
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

R12RTee
Explorer
Explorer
Jarlaxle wrote:
tekman741 wrote:
X3 for Massachusetts's, signs are on the mass pike (i90) 128(i95) southeast expressway (i93) heading toward Boston. A TRUPA will givya a tikat.

Also, the short tunnel on I-195 in Fall River.

Not since 2008 is this true of Fall River. Detours are no longer in effect since the underside of the government center was repaired.
2021 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA
2021 Ram 6.7 HO

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
moose888 wrote:
I was looking into going through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel and the wed sight says the tank has to be off and no more than 30 gallons on board.
Propane weighs about 4.1# per gallon. So, that would be a little over 120# and would not affect most RVs, especially those with 20, 30 or 40# bottles.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
MichDoc wrote:
puddleduck wrote:
On the ferry from Port Bolivar to Galveston they wouldn't let me board because I had an extra propane bottle that was not attached to a device. Luckily I had a propane grill I could attach to and that satisfied them.

I've taken that ferry many times, and the only thing they ever asked was if my tank was turned on, and to close it if it was. How did they know you had a spare tank, and did they tell you why it would be SAFE to have one connected to a grill, but UNSAFE just sitting there with the valve closed?

Probably, "it's policy."
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
tekman741 wrote:
X3 for Massachusetts's, signs are on the mass pike (i90) 128(i95) southeast expressway (i93) heading toward Boston. A TRUPA will givya a tikat.

Also, the short tunnel on I-195 in Fall River.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

WandaLust2
Explorer
Explorer
demoon wrote:
There are places where you can't drive with propane like I93 tunnels in Boston. Try that and you will get a ticket, a large one.

That also applies to the tunnels in and around NYC. If you have propane tanks, you have to use the bridges.
Mrs. WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
1999 Fleetwood SouthWind 32'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
cm11599ps wrote:
My brother checked in to a local CG yesterday, setup and then went out to dinner. When they returned they found out they had no water. Turns out somebody in the park had backed into their water spigot and broke the line so they had to shut all the water off in the park before fixing it.

Anyway, my brother was talking to his neighbor about the situation and the neighbor said he had been traveling somewhere with his TT when he got a ticket for traveling with a propane tank.

Has anyone experienced this? I've never heard it brought up on the forums. I'm wondering if the neighbor meant to say he was traveling with the fridge on propane.

Maybe the guy just had too much "milk" as he was dealing with no water. lol

I have heard of people getting tickets for unmarked propane cylinders but not for having one. The cylinders are supposed to have stickers on them indicating they are filled with propane. They do not come with the stickers on them, but they are available at propane cylinder filling stations. I have seen them at U-Haul and BJ's wholesale club and they gave them to me free when I asked for them. They came on a roll. They look similar to this one.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:
The Virginia tunnels where you can have propane bottles/tanks, but just not open, have signs, but also have a turnout where you can stop and turn off the propane, if neccessary.

JayGee wrote:
Do they have (NO PROPANE) warning signs that provide enough time to avoid those tunnels? Or do I need to investigate the location of those restricted tunnels prior to my trip?

I live in Tidewater, Virginia. They are actually inspection stations. They check for oversize loads, propane cylinders and what ever else other warning signs may require certain vehicles to stop for. When you stop they "verify" the propane cylinder valves are closed before you proceed through the tunnel. I usually tell them when I stop that I have cylinders and they are turned off, even if I'm only carrying them in my truck and not towing anything. They usually just wave me through without even checking them.