cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

buying a rental

Rich_Mar
Explorer
Explorer
anyone out there ever bought an rv from apollo rentals? I had never heard of them until a couple of days ago, el monte and cruise am yes. I've found cruise am has high mileage on theirs and I've read that el monte is a better place to buy, but what about apollo? I am looking now at a 2013 with 44k miles, but appears in very good shape, and it's a regular model not a special made for the rental co. rich
rich
27 REPLIES 27

shaneperch
Explorer
Explorer
I agree If the rental equipment breaks down and not fixed or not maintained then they will get a bad reputation. I never had a problem with a rental being straight truck car man lift etc. I never rented an RV. but I am sure they are well maintained because their reputation is at stake and I would buy one in a heart beat. I like what Jbrowland said.. why have a mortgage when you can pay cash and no payments HELL YES I agree with that 100%!!!!

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
My ex rental with 125k miles on it is filled with new parts inside and out. New tranny, brakes, tires, new paint, new bedding, curtains, and much more. The thing about rentals is that when they break, they fix and replace stuff. In my experience, private sellers don't fix what is broken. They just want to get rid of the damn thing and make it your problem and they still want you to pay a high price because they are under water on their loan. That was my experience any way. And buying new? Forget it. Who wants to put down 20k and still have a 15 year mortgage on an RV? Not me. My advice is to buy cheap and old with cash if you can and then run it into the ground.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
double post, sorry
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

path1
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I don't prices to up on X rentals...Last year or so there has been more and more comments that rentals might not be as bad as some make them out to be. People would you please get back into telling others just how bad they are?

Reason...wife got her bigger TT for longer trips and we are thinking about replacing our 2003 X rental traveling machine with a bigger one. Owned 6 years and way over 100,000 miles and no major problems. Suits our every need we have except, we find it harder on longer trips lasting more than a month at a time in it. Just not enough "elbow room" especially when raining outside.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
I have never bought an ex rental, and probably never will. I have however, seen many posts by those who have bought former rentals. I don't recall anyone complaining of problems with their purchase, or if they did have issues, they were corrected by the rental company.
I have seen many more issues with those who bought non rental units, whether used or new.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
The upside to buying an X rental from a fleet type operation, is that whatever has failed during the rental cycle has been looked after. Plus. rentals get exercised, not parked for 50 weeks out of the year, which is deadly for an RV..or boat..or plane.

As far as mis-use of a rental..and no private owner ever did that? Chairs on roof, beach bombing, just screw ups...

Both of mine were X rentals. Both were fewer $$'s than what was being asked for by private sellers. Both were good units that cost me a bundle..just like if I had bought privately.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
In the past, you could buy any rental El Monte had in their fleet, from three years old to three days old. Obviously, you get a better deal on older high mileage units, but they do keep them clean and maintained.

Keep in mind that most of them DO NOT come with awnings and may be something they can throw on at a better price since they deal in bulk with RV's and parts.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
go to a NASCAR race. note the rentals parked that have assorted lawn chairs on the roof watching the race, etc.
bumpy

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

I personally would never buy a rental (car, truck, RV etc...). That said I have seen they way they are maintained and driven "Drive it like you stole it"!

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a rental from a local dealer 8 months old and 32k on it. The dealer probably did nothing other than oil changes. It was clean however. I bought it, took it home and changed the transmisson fluid and filter ( black as the ace of spades) and had that unit for something like 18 years with nothing to repair other than a very expensive muffler. I feel like I got an excellent deal.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I rented a class C from Cruise America and I think it was flat pedaled from Vegas to Dumont Dunes Cali. On those long grades it was either be bogged down like dragging a boat anchor of keep it nailed and on the pipe. On the down grades I would keep it flying so I didn't slow down so much on the way up the next one.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
This guy bought one from Apollo,and seems very happy with his purchase.

Maybe PM him if you want more info.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Why not. I'd want a full history of incidents and service, as a business they should keep such records. I'd still want my mechanic to inspect before purchase, even if I had to pay the guy to go to the dealer with me. Just remember President Reagan's words: No one ever washes a rented car.
You have to suspect that the vehicle was abused, at least not loved, but if the deal is ok, why not.