cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campfire fanny warmer

Trlrboy
Explorer
Explorer
I read about this on a camping forum but I do not remember where, however I thought I would share this with everyone since it worked so well. My wife loves sitting around a nice campfire when it is cold outside but she complains that she ends up with "cold butt syndrome".

I read on line about someone that came up with an idea how to fix that so we tried it last night when the temps were in the lower 30's. Take a 3 pound metal coffee can, put 4 hot charcoal briquettes in it and sit the can under the chair. It puts out enough heat to warm the chair (and the fanny) but not so much as to do any harm to the chair. As the briquettes burn down take some chunks of glowing embers from the fire and use that. I cannot tell you how well this idea works. Keep the coffee can lid to close up the can after you are done with it and have dumped out the ashes.

To whoever came up with idea: A 6 pack to you my friend!

Moved to General RVing Issues forum from DIY.

2010 Montana 3400RL
Chevy 2500HD Duramax

PHOTOLINK
29 REPLIES 29

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
My thought would be to sit on a chair that swivels...turn 1/4 each 15 min...just like a cooking a chicken over a fire...cooked all the way around!

Or do it the old fashioned way...I get up and turn around every few minutes because sometimes the breeze shifts and the smoke gets in your face.
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

Tom_Diane
Explorer
Explorer
Good point that no one buys coffee in a can anymore but the citronella candles sometimes are in a little bucket and are cheap. Just ditch the candle and put a couple charcoal brikettes in it.

We do lots of local camping and there used to be a couple that camped in the same area as us. They would sit outside every night and get totally smashed from about 4 pm when they got home from work until 8 or 9 pm. The guys wife would get so smashed that she must have been keeping warm on the bottom side by relieving her bladder. These folks have a problem. I guess its a temporary warmth! I don't think she knew she even wet her self. Note: Don't try this at home kids!!!

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
BillB800si wrote:
If it's 30ยฐ out I'm not out- I'm in- Period...

You got that right! :E

(Unless you're talking Celsius, where 30 degrees is 86F) :C

(Which is why were are where we are.) :B

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
We always just shovel some hot coals under the chair work great as long as you don't put too much under you
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It begs the question, whatever happened to the RV (with built-in furnace)?
Mixing the modern with the old, on the same trip, is kinda hard to figure out for guys like myself who worked so hard in order to not need to build a campfire, or figure out how to keep your butt warm,......just saying...:B
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, after reviewing all the posts, I think the OP's original idea wins hands down. My thinking is that one could secretly roast marshmallows under your chair, and no one else will know about it!
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Remember how warm copper rivets got our old Levi's. Maybe a cheet of copper, in the seat too?
๐Ÿ™‚

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Use a heavy wools or synthetic wool blanket and wrap around yourself. Open it like wings so it is open in the front while you stand close and face the fire. When you and blanket are warm, wrap blanket around you and sit in chair (make sure blanket goes under your butt, too).

The Indians weren't dummies!

BTW, you can also wrap it over your head, too, leaving only your face and feet exposed.

When cold weather camping in tents, I recommend the campers get close to fire and get jeans hot on both sides before getting into their sleeping bags. Starts night off warm.

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing I can add here is if you use that coffee can, dont have beans for dinner!!!
One beautiful wife
Mattie and Trooper the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 with 2008 Lance 1181
2015 Jeep Wrangler toad w/ ReadyBrake/Brute
Web Site

buzzard616
Explorer
Explorer
Somebody's DW had the same thought and did somthing about it.

Toasty Tush

Stu
Stu & Jackie Metcalfe
2000 Salem 27FKSS
2008 Sierra 2500 HD gasser

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
WOW way too much work and danger for me in this thread!!
This is our solution to the issue.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
You can actually buy brand new, empty paint cans with metal lids at paint stores. Even has a handle on it. Might work just as good, if you can't find a coffee can.
To the OP, would it work better to punch holes in the metal lid, and put it on while using it with briquettes?
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

720Deere
Explorer
Explorer
Finding an actual coffee can is the only downside of this great idea. At least around where I live, coffee seems to come in plastic containers these days.
2011 Ford F-350 4X4 CC LB SRW 6.7
2013 Keystone Fuzion 315
B&W Companion Hitch
1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
WHO BUYS COFFEE IN CANS ANYMORE ?
otherwise an excellent idea .