cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping Altercations?

code3run
Explorer
Explorer
Just looking for short stories of any camping altercation you have ever had with other campers? Just thought it would be fun to read thru them.
2008 ATTITUDE 21AK
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 hemi 5.7 lit

01 Yamaha yz 125

2 boys 13 and 16
a wife
a dog named Dusty
161 REPLIES 161

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
CANAMKID wrote:
We were in Charolete NC. for a nascar race

Any story that starts with that opening line has endless potential.

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
Not an altercation, but we witnessed a crazy scene when I was camping with my family as a kid.

We were camping in our popup and there were some tent campers on the site next to us. They were using kerosene to get their fire going and one of the females in the group caught herself on fire. She was screaming and running around and finally fell to the ground and and the guys helped smother the fire. She was burned pretty bad and had to be taken to a hospital.

I thought of this story last fall when I was using gasoline to help start a fire. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
DSteiner51 wrote:
Note to self... NEVER camp with members of RV.net.

But if you have to, buckle up and wear a cup. They run with a tough crowd. LOL.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
In my tent camping days, I was at a state park campground and once set up, saw some hunters walking by my campsite with rifles, didn't think anything of it, until I heard a gunshot that was way too close. So not having a gun, I waited to see if they walked by again when leaving. When they did, I went up to them and started a friendly conversation about guns, and how "my" .45 that I always carry is such a beast....blah, blah, blah. OooooDidn't have a gun, but just wanted them to think twice in case there was any thoughts of illegal activities..... Sometimes it isn't what you see, its what you DONT see..... After that never had any "close" calls, I know someone that has the sound of a round being chambered in a 12 guage shotgun... He said he played it once when he had someone poking around his tent one night
Proud father of a US Marine

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
DSteiner51 wrote:

No doubt. I have never had "altercations" in my years of camping. I did pack up our gear and go home one night early once in our tenting days because of 3 or 4 sites around us of what seemed to be family and friends camping together who were just generally too loud, obnoxious and annoying. That's the only time another camper has affected my camping enjoyment. Ever.

Now that I'm in the TT I can get away from that at night so while it would still be somewhat annoying it wouldn't send me home.
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Rancher_Will
Explorer
Explorer
In over 50 years camping our only such problem happened just last year. Overnight while we slept, someone stole our sewer hose out of the RV compartment. The hose was still in the storeage compartment and was not hooked up to the sewer drain (I don't hook up until we are ready to leave each campground) and in the morning I found the hose and tank controls door open with the hose gone. Before leaving the campground that day I bought a new RINO hose and a lock that I put on the door.

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
We had driven 450 miles with my wife driving our new classic car that was just picked up from the shop while I towed the trailer with our Dodge. Had reservations at this brand new park and were going a little out of our way to head there. Had some issues during the journey that delayed us from our original daylight arrival into a late night arrival. Called ahead and was told it was not an issue.

Pulled in and picked up the night registration packet with instructions on where to go. The park has several hundred spaces and at this point in time had maybe 4 or 5 rigs in total. Wife asks me where she should park. I instruct her to park in the empty site (the entire row was empty too) opposite ours with the headlights on to help us back in.

The extra light was very helpful and we succeeded in backing the rig in. I was just about to hookup the electric when the "camp security guy" approached. I figured he was there to greet us... nope. First words out of his mouth "is that your car over there?" "How dare you park in a site that is not yours. I almost called the Sheriff to have it towed!"

I immediately apologized and began to walk over to move it but he kept on going "you did not tell us you were bringing a second car for all I know you are car thieves and are committing some sort of fraud..." blah blah blah and on and on he went for at least 2-3 minutes. It was at the point where both my wife and I (we had our 13 month old son with us too) felt very threatened.

At this point I had that decision to make, you know the one, do I just let it go and move on or risk having to pack up and roll down the road? I decided I was okay with moving on if need be and turned my inner aggressor ON. I let the guy have it, in a civil manner of course ;). Finally the manager came over and apologized.

The next day I contacted the park management firm and laid the story out for them; we have 5 nights free stay at that park plus another week stay at any of their other parks.

In fact the only "altercations" we have ever had at parks usually centers around rude or obnoxious staff members. Just this last week we were calling around for a place to stay and this "Resort" lady laughs at me and responds "why would we have any sites open this time of year?" Nice customer service lady not staying at your park ever.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Never had much trouble with anyone besides a few loud parties but I have a dog that tends to discourage any trouble. I have seen some scuffles at boat ramps the best one being two drunk guys who had just let their truck and boat turn into a submarine. They knocked each others false teeth out. I felt sort of sorry for them because neither was at fault. They were both standing in front of the truck when there was a loud pop. I figure the E brake cable snapped. Of course it was not in gear and running so I suppose the driver had some fault. By submarine I mean the whole thing was gone (deep lake), just bubbles. It took a diver to get a cable on it.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
pasusan wrote:
Dr. Blake wrote:
Not really an altercation. My wife, my 7-8 month old son and I were on our very first road trip as a family. We traveled from Calgary, through BC, into Washington State and ended up Idaho. We camped and the Mudhole (AC campground) which we really like even though it is a bit close to the highway. We pull in with our tent trailer and setup camp. A fellow camper comes over and starts to chat which was great. We are chatting for about 20 minutes, itโ€™s very friendly. Towards the end of the conversation he starts to tell me about his gun, how good a shot he is and that he has a site on it for longer range shooting at night. I donโ€™t really have much to say, Iโ€™m from Canada, hand guns are illegal and I am not really familiar with them. He then tells me I had better keep it down at night, keep my son on a lease (he couldnโ€™t walk at that point) and follow the rules. I was dumbfounded, I stated I was with my family, we like to hike during the day, my son goes to bed at 7 pm and we then just quietly sit around the fire. He left back to his own site.

That whole 4 days they were there they ran their contractor generator past the suitable hours, had bonfires and disregarded a whole host of other rules. What a bonehead.

We still love to camp in the USA and 99.99% of people have been great, but that guy was tough pill to swallow!
Sounds like you ran into Cube58... :E

Now that's funny. :B
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Other than the occasional loud drunk party, I've never seen an altercation in over 10 years.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Dr. Blake wrote:
Not really an altercation. My wife, my 7-8 month old son and I were on our very first road trip as a family. We traveled from Calgary, through BC, into Washington State and ended up Idaho. We camped and the Mudhole (AC campground) which we really like even though it is a bit close to the highway. We pull in with our tent trailer and setup camp. A fellow camper comes over and starts to chat which was great. We are chatting for about 20 minutes, itโ€™s very friendly. Towards the end of the conversation he starts to tell me about his gun, how good a shot he is and that he has a site on it for longer range shooting at night. I donโ€™t really have much to say, Iโ€™m from Canada, hand guns are illegal and I am not really familiar with them. He then tells me I had better keep it down at night, keep my son on a lease (he couldnโ€™t walk at that point) and follow the rules. I was dumbfounded, I stated I was with my family, we like to hike during the day, my son goes to bed at 7 pm and we then just quietly sit around the fire. He left back to his own site.

That whole 4 days they were there they ran their contractor generator past the suitable hours, had bonfires and disregarded a whole host of other rules. What a bonehead.

We still love to camp in the USA and 99.99% of people have been great, but that guy was tough pill to swallow!
Sounds like you ran into Cube58... :E

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Dr__Blake
Explorer
Explorer

2013 GMC 3500HD Diesel Denali
2019 Outdoors RV 28BHS
Sold - 2012 Arctic Fox 25S
Alberta Canada

2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 CrewMax (Sold - I loved this truck)

Cube58
Explorer
Explorer
I'm always 'packing in the open' as most states have ๐Ÿ™‚ open carry laws and I never have any dog problems or party noise.:B

GrumpyGator
Explorer
Explorer
donandmax wrote:
JC2 wrote:
If mother nature would do a periodic gene culling of the human race, a lot of these types of people would not be a problem.;) My tolerance for morons is 0 and the appropriate response is always taken when I encounter one.

Wish we could make that happen !!

Mother Nature tries to do this each and every day, but our Gov't with it's entitlement programs prevents Mother Nature at being successful.
2015 Keystone Passport Elite 23RB