cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping Etiquette

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Dear inconsiderate Campers, Please take note of this thread. If any of this sounds like you, please listen.

We just returned home after a long weekend camping trip at the Indian Creek RV Resort in Geneva On The Lake, Ohio. It's a very nice private campground with several full hookup, pull through sites. Mostly seasonal campers but there are many sites available for us weekend warriors. It's a pet friendly park and I would guess 75% of the weekend campers had dogs. All of them we encountered were very friendly and well behaved. Very little barking when they were outside and none of them were aggressive but there were some issues. Keep in mind that I like Dogs so this isn't a dog hating complaint, but please understand that I don't want to listen to your dogs bark for several hours because you decided to go out drinking and left your dog cooped up inside your camper. I also don't want to have to pick up your dog's business because in the morning, you let them out unleashed and they wandered off to our site to do that while I was sitting quietly enjoying a cup of coffee at my picnic table.

Another issue I want to address is when a campground's rules lists a quiet time of 11pm, that means 11pm. It doesn't mean that because you've been drinking since Noon, that those rules don't apply to you. Not everyone in the campground wants to hear you whoop it up because your favorite song started playing. I'm pretty sure everyone understands that it's a song you like because if it wasn't you wouldn't be playing it. Understand also that not everyone in the campground listens to the type of music you enjoy, at a decibel level that can be heard 10 miles away. Especially not at 2AM!

So please understand that I like to have fun as much as the next camper. I enjoy drinking beer, playing music, laughing, carrying on etc. But I do it within the rules of the campground I'm at and do my best not to impose my idea of fun on the campers next to and around me. I'm asking for a little consideration and to understand that when you paid money to spend a few nights at a campground, so did everyone else. You did not receive the right to do whatever you want because you've had a bad week at work or are under a lot of stress and you need to unwind. Be considerate of others. If that's not possible, please consider holding your party out in the woods where no one will care or be able to hear you rather than at a family friendly campground. Thank you.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
104 REPLIES 104

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
You'd enjoy this campground. Creekside Campground, Sisters Or.
Rules #1 and #2

1. Quiet, well behaved pets are welcome. Limit two pets per site. Pets must be on a leash at all
time and are only allowed to exercise in the pet run area and must be picked up after
immediately. Pets are not to be left unattended at any time. Excessive barking and aggressive
behavior well not be tolerated and you will be asked to leave the campground. Pets are not
allowed in the shower/restroom building with the exception of service animals. (Providing
emotional support or deterring crime are not considered qualifying tasks).
2. โ€œQuiet Timeโ€ is between the hours of 10 PM โ€“ 7 AM. Loud noises (including loud voices),
running generators and bright or unnecessary exterior lighting is not permitted during this
time.

rightlaneonly
Explorer
Explorer
FunnyCamper wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
FunnyCamper wrote:
Yea, feel better now?

Complain to management of cg on all that rant ๐Ÿ™‚ Results come from management doing their job. People are people and gonna do whatever, not everyone was raised with the exact manners and thoughts as others, never will happen.

Then stop the rant because I am sure you are perfect in every way in this life and you never aggreviate others, never off that beaten path, ever ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ I mean come on.....
Better than thou and always will be! Always that way in these posts.

Touched a nerve I see. You must be one of them

Nope so tired of the whiners that won't let the correct authority handle the situation. Did OP even ask CG about any of it? Nope, just had to get it all off their chest, which I do get ๐Ÿ™‚ but come on truly, who here is the perfect human in all situations in life, not one darn one of us ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
Ahh, the rant is to make one feel superior as usual!

Ahh, I detect a touch of superiority here, telling the OP and others the correct (your) way to handle things. Sometimes a rant is just that, a way to vent and get some sympathy from others who endure the same thing at camp grounds and yes, that sometimes is all it takes to make one "feel better." I've been in situations where complaining to the "management accomplished nothing more than enduring subtle and not so subtle harassment for my trouble. Coming on here with like minded (usually) campers helps me prepare for the next adventure with the obnoxious all about me crowd. And yes, now I feel better;)!
Lee & Jane
Ford died once to often.
Replaced with 2019 GMC Canyon
Aliner, soon to be gone.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
rightlaneonly wrote:
Couldn't agree more but I think your complaint falls on deaf ears. This is the me generation and its all about them. Things have changed a lot since I started camping 60 years ago and its fast becoming more of an unpleasant experience every season.
What with the introduction of generators, boom boxes, outdoor entertainment centers and big outdoor screen TV's it just doesn't resemble "camping" anymore.:?

Well, I wasn't sure so I re-read the OP's post...and sure enough, it didn't mention the age of the "campers" in questions. So the "me generation" must be anyone from a child to a WWII veteran. I've camped next to people who were younger than me that were very pleasant, while camping next to people who were in their 70's and couldn't stand a minute of it. For a few hours, I once painfully endured the high-pitched beeping of an older man trying to find his satellite signal. To me, that was worse than a barking dog or a drunkard. I've camped next to old people who sit outside till all hours of the night watching a football game. Boy, that "me generation" really is aggravating.

Sorry to hear about the barking dog. If I were in charge, I'd ban all non-service dogs from all campgrounds, restaurants, grocery stores, etc. I truly don't understand why this new generation of people feel as if they have to take their dogs with them EVERYWHERE they go. Which generation am I referring to? You can be the judge of that. But I know that my grandparents and great grandparents sure didn't think like this. I have a dog, so I'm not against dogs and don't take this as a dog hating rant.

If I was drinking since noon, I'd be passed out right after dinner.

Sincerely, a Gen-X or millennial camper, family with children, regular guy that doesn't party or drink excessively, always in bed by about 10 PM, not loud, no outdoor entertainment center, not a big fan of music of any kind.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Lantley wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
Lantley wrote:
I feel your pain. But your post needs to be directed at the CG management. If they are not enforcing their own rules, the place will turn into a free for all.
Sounds like enough campers are not complaining or your fellow campers like it that way.

I can't speak for any other campers but I did let management know so it was directed at them as well. I just thought posting it here might spark some offenders to be a little more considerate is all.

I get it. Unfortunately some do not think the rules apply to them.
However I still see this as more of a management issue than a campers issue. If management is not enforcing the rules,chaos will take place.
It's up to management to make the effort to keep the party under control and within the stated hours.
Dogs are a tougher issue but leash rules need to be enforced as well.
If ownership/management is allowing the campers to do as they please we all suffer.

When did you complain to management? Next day? Not me. I would have gotten the out of bed, just like their guests did me. and I would have done it until they came. And when the dogs barking in the camper started. Call RIGHT now. I have seen the Camp manager come and do what is necessary.

Complaints were made at the time things occurred. One to campground management and one directly to the dog owners about the pile left on my site. Had the dog been in distress the night before rather than just upset it was locked in a camper, I would have done something about that too. It was annoying but many people do that. I don't agree with it but if that's how they want to treat their pets, that's their business.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
FunnyCamper wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
FunnyCamper wrote:
Yea, feel better now?

Complain to management of cg on all that rant ๐Ÿ™‚ Results come from management doing their job. People are people and gonna do whatever, not everyone was raised with the exact manners and thoughts as others, never will happen.

Then stop the rant because I am sure you are perfect in every way in this life and you never aggreviate others, never off that beaten path, ever ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ I mean come on.....

Nope so tired of the whiners that won't let the correct authority handle the situation. Did OP even ask CG about any of it? Nope, just had to get it all off their chest, which I do get ๐Ÿ™‚ but come on truly, who here is the perfect human in all situations in life, not one darn one of us ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Are you sure the OP didn't let the correct authority handle the situation? Are you even sure you know who the OP is in this thread? You refer to the OP in the third person while directing your comment at the OP. Did you even read the whole thread? I mean the part I wrote, since I'm the OP, about contacting campground management. I believe it's you that thinks they are superior. You scold others about the type of thread they make like this is your site. If you don't like what was written, move on. Pretty simple really.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
Lantley wrote:
I feel your pain. But your post needs to be directed at the CG management. If they are not enforcing their own rules, the place will turn into a free for all.
Sounds like enough campers are not complaining or your fellow campers like it that way.

I can't speak for any other campers but I did let management know so it was directed at them as well. I just thought posting it here might spark some offenders to be a little more considerate is all.

I get it. Unfortunately some do not think the rules apply to them.
However I still see this as more of a management issue than a campers issue. If management is not enforcing the rules,chaos will take place.
It's up to management to make the effort to keep the party under control and within the stated hours.
Dogs are a tougher issue but leash rules need to be enforced as well.
If ownership/management is allowing the campers to do as they please we all suffer.

When did you complain to management? Next day? Not me. I would have gotten the out of bed, just like their guests did me. and I would have done it until they came. And when the dogs barking in the camper started. Call RIGHT now. I have seen the Camp manager come and do what is necessary.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobWNY wrote:
FunnyCamper wrote:
Yea, feel better now?

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
"Drinking since noon" and "whoop it up because your favorite song started playing"...

Sounds like you need to go to a better class of campground.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
It's a shame you had to deal with inconsiderate neighbors.

I'll break with the forum's (seemingly) standard method and not seek out a way to criticize and aggravate the OP ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hope your next spot is more relaxing :C

ThomBoles
Explorer
Explorer
Having grown up in Madison, one town to the west, I knew as soon as I read "Geneva on the Lake" that this wasn't going to be an "Everyone should Visit this place" thread.
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Thom and Diane Boles
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
FunnyCamper wrote:
Yea, feel better now?

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
rightlaneonly wrote:
Couldn't agree more but I think your complaint falls on deaf ears. This is the me generation and its all about them. Things have changed a lot since I started camping 60 years ago and its fast becoming more of an unpleasant experience every season.
What with the introduction of generators, boom boxes, outdoor entertainment centers and big outdoor screen TV's it just doesn't resemble "camping" anymore.:?

x2...people have turned a nice relaxing experience into maniac ranch with a bunch of barking dogs. Get rid of the outside TV's and speakers! Now all they do is blast that stuff and scream all day. Good grief is this how they behave at home? I sure would not want to live next door to people like this. Tragic how these people behave with no manners and no respect for others peace or privacy.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I remember one July 4 I was in a large (700+ Sites) campground and one camper was "Entertaining" us with his high powered audio system. Security ask him to tone it down several times. And he wound up cussing them out. ON THE PA system hed set up.. So the whole park heard it.

Last I checked memberships there were six thousand dollars (Keep going up) and he lost his. had to leave and not return.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yea, feel better now?

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
People just don't care. It is all about them. We spent the week in Kentucky. Our site was in front of the playground. The way my truck was parked left a good size opening between our 5er and the Neighbors TT. People used it as a walkway to get to playground. Not only a walkway but a path for golf carts. Only because they did not want to go an additional 200 feet to go around.

A few asked when we were sitting outside. But still where is the etiquette. I could only imagine what was going on when we were gone.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013