cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping protocol

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
I was told by a neighbor camper to shut off my generator because their baby is sleeping.

It was early afternoon with the heat and I need my a/c. Quiet time for the campsite is 10 pm to 7am.

I relented because we are going somewhere anyways? But will I be considered thoughtless if I did not? I only started bringing my kids into tent camping after age 5.
40 REPLIES 40

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why is it that every thread about generators devolves into a urination confrontation?
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
There was also a time when rv's didn't have outside speakers or scare lights...and no LED dance party lights under awnings etc.

Sadly its not what gets brought camping...its how folks use it that can make a huge impact on those around them. I like my music, but I try to be considerate, I enjoy my Honda 2000 but I respect close neighbors and genset hours. Since we cant get the other fellows take on the situation its impossible to know just how this played out.

All we can do is try our best to be decent human beings and despite that others may still take issue with anything/everything we do while enjoying this pastime!
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
Can you believe there was a time when nobody camped with generators?

goff1256
Explorer
Explorer
I really hate generators I even hate my generator and I will try not to use it if there's anybody else around I hate my generator so much I spent $2,000 on a solar system $2,000 on an inverter$800 on batteries and I don't have to listen to my **** generator run anymore and neither does anybody else I really like peace and quiet wish they'd Outlaw generators we went camping without them 50 years ago why not now
Erick & Jackie Goff; Plus Ellie Mae the Fu Fu Dog

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
To everyone, I am within campsite rules. My generator is not running inside quite hours (10 pm to 7 am), I am within camp rules of noise level of generators (68 dB) and way below.

And yes, if it was nasty in his approach, he'll get a stern no. And a lecture that I'm within camp rules and he should not be bringing a baby in the camping -- that might disturb everyone else with their all nigh crying.

My question is, shouldn't other campers know the rules themselves and should not be into others' if they are not in violation of those rules -- and if they are, they should approach the camp host or rangers. That's certainly what I'll do. Or is it just men camp ethics and protocol.

So, you were running your generator from 7 am to 10 pm. Someone asked you to turn it off for a couple hours so their baby could sleep. And your response is they shouldn't bring a baby because it might cry during the night???

There is no rule banning babies from camping. There are rules about generator use. Seems you are being a bit selfish.

Oh, and many places limit generator use outside of quiet hours. Are you certain the place you were at didn't have "generator hours" outside of the quiet hours?
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
To everyone, I am within campsite rules. My generator is not running inside quite hours (10 pm to 7 am), I am within camp rules of noise level of generators (68 dB) and way below.

And yes, if he is nasty in his approach, he'll get a stern no. And a lecture that I'm within camp rules and he should not be bringing a baby in the camping -- that might disturb everyone else with their all nigh crying.

My question is, shouldn't other campers know the rules themselves and should not be into others' if they are not in violation of those rules -- and if they are, they should approach the camp host or rangers. That's certainly what I'll do. Or is it just men camp ethics and protocol.

Well if you were within all the rules you could have simply said so and kept running your generator. I agree the other camper should talk to the host instead of you. Unless of course the other camper came over and asked politely to do them a favor and turn off the generator. I was once asked to turn off my genny by a fellow and I did shortly there after when I was done cleaning my fish. That is when I had a built in genny that really was pretty darn loud. It makes for a awkward situation when some asks you not to do what is perfectly legal:) You said they told you to turn if off. That would be a little weird for sure.

I agree with what another poster said about a quiet generator. I had two not so quiet generators then I purchased my Honda 3000 and its so darn quiet the next campsite can't really hear it. That solved all the noise problems. If yours is a inverter type then it should be really quiet also. The honda 3000 runs from 50 to 57 db at peak power. I know there are some from Harbor freight that are really reasonable that have similar sound levels.

When it comes to camping and generators sound is the name of the game. JMHO
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer

And yes, if it was nasty in his approach, he'll get a stern no. And a lecture that I'm within camp rules and he should not be bringing a baby in the camping -- that might disturb everyone else with their all nigh crying.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
jplante4 wrote:
My response would have been "I will do it because we are leaving anyway, but when we come back, the air is going back on. We are old and can't take the heat."

Thatโ€™s a pretty bold statement to make without knowing;

- what kind of generator?

- how close the 2 RVโ€™s were to each other.

- what the weather was? Cold and windows closed heat on? Hot and windows closed A/C on? Moderate temps, windows open, gender is just charging batteries?

As was stated previously, I sleep directly above my genset, no isssues, so whatโ€™s the OPโ€™s genset?

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Not sure if you are exaggerating when you say he "told" me to turn it off. But I am sure that an approach like that would get him a single digit salute from yours truly.

On the other hand, a nice request might result in my moving the generator to the opposite side of the trailer. With a quality Honda generator, that would almost make it silent from his side at even a few yards away.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I do agree the type of generator makes a difference. My ONAN with Gen-Turi purrs like a cat and is not disturbing to anyone. a honda 2000 at half load. Can't hardly hear it (1000 at half load I can not hear) A Contractor's generator you can hear half a mile away in the city.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
"I will turn off my generator now, but at 2am can you please turn off your crying baby."

That would be my instant first thought, lol.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Babys will sleep through anything. We never attempted to be quiet for ours when they were babys. They were subjected to all kinds of noise.

I'd be more concerned with the type of genny, how long it was being run and, most of all, were others in the area using theirs in the same manner.

We were recently at a music festival. Hot weather & rally style camping so everyone was close. Everyone was considerate & kept genny run time to a minimum around meal times, even though gennys could be run from 8:00AM to 10:00PM. All that is, except one & this inconsiderate individual was right next door with 2 gennys in tandem running full blast to run the AC, even when they were not around.

Turns out that he was not an absolute newb but this was only his second festival. Pointing out that he was the ONLY one running the gennys for hours on end & everyone else was suffering with the heat had no effect. He did not want to move to the area, far away, for 24hour genny use either.

We have been to many music festivals, bluegrass, but never run into such a thoughtless person before.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
All babies don't sleep thru anything. It depends on what they are used to. If they are used to a quiet household where Mom is the only one around when they try to nap, then, yes, your generator could keep it from going to sleep, just like it would me. Most campgrounds we have been in have specific hours to run a generator. If your generator was loud even within the specified hours, I wouldn't want to listen to it for long periods of time. Was it possible for you to open windows and use a fan to be comfortable? I would shut off the generator to let baby sleep. I also don't want to listen to a cranky tired crying baby next door.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I would have shut it off.

We were tent campers before kids. If it weren't for our own children, we would have never gone down the RV path (got our first RV when our oldest was 2)! I have a soft spot for families willing to go for it with little ones.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
My response would have been "I will do it because we are leaving anyway, but when we come back, the air is going back on. We are old and can't take the heat."

This is the way I would have handled it (at least I hope so!).