cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camping with 10 month old grandson - dining solution?

VAfan
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for advice. Will be camping with my 10 month old grandson...along with 2 other adults and 4 yr. old granddaughter in a 27ft travel trailer (with slide-out).

We are thinking we have figured out the sleeping arrangements (I've been kicked out into a tent); anyone have a solution for a ten month old dining arrangement? We can take a highchair but not lots of room.

Also any camping with grandkids advice is welcome.
29 REPLIES 29

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not trying to be morbid in anyway. But, the title of this thread is "Camping with a 10 month old grandson- dining solutions"

When I saw that I thought maybe you were asking for dining solutions "on" the 10 month old grandson. lol jk

I remember a old episode of the Twilight Zone . I think the title was called "How To Best Serve Man" . (Or something like that) These aliens come to earth with a book about serving man. To make a long story short it was a COOK BOOK !!!!!!

That was screamed out by the actress just a few moments before the end of the show.

For some reason I've never forgotten that episode .

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I'd probably sleep in a tent too, if it meant some quiet time at night 🙂
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

VAfan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone....typical great advice and discussion.

We had our family vacation several weeks ago with all the grandkids in a condo. I was reminded how much of a food mess a 10 month old can make.

We have a fold up high chair but I was thinking (or over thinking) there has to be a better way when camping.

My first thought was put him in the bath tub and let him go at it...hose him off afterwards...didn't go over well with DW.

Love all of the chair options - clamp on the table looks great.

Still planning on "poppa in a tent" for now....with a Comfort inn option 10 miles away 🙂

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agree with 4X4van. Way overthinking this. Our daughter spent her first night on this at 6 days old. Stormed something fierce that night & we were 'on the hook' not in a marina.Boozin N Cruizin
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
You're way over-thinking this. All 3 of my kids started camping at age 4 weeks. We held them in our lap to feed, or used a small foldup highchair outside. They all survived fine.

And only 3 adults and 2 kids in a 27' trailer with slideout, and you have to sleep in a tent? No way. That trailer must have at least 2 beds, if not 3 (fixed bed, couch, dinette). Worst case, a blow up mattress on the floor adds sleeping space.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
OLYLEN wrote:
SAID with a nose held high and an English accent "the nanny takes care of these problems and the children".
We camped with our kids from diapers on, things just seem to take care of themselves. If kids are hungry they EAT no matter of position.
Now where the hell did that 16 month old grand daughter go!

LEN

Just a heads up. At least on my end most summer Euro nannies come from France, Germany, Belguim, or Switzerland. They oftimes vacation substitute for the usual suspects;).

Total agreement that younguns will eat no matter the position:D.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have some friends who found a seat that clamped onto the table of their boat, or any other substanstial tabletop like a picnic table. No idea where it came from but it was well made i.e. strong & secure.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Some friends of ours have this chair https://www.amazon.com/ciao-baby-Portable-Highchair-Sage/dp/B00A47J6YU for their kid, he was almost 2 last time I saw them using it. They just set it up right next to the table so he could still eat from the table instead of the flimsy tray.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
SAID with a nose held high and an English accent "the nanny takes care of these problems and the children".
We camped with our kids from diapers on, things just seem to take care of themselves. If kids are hungry they EAT no matter of position.
Now where the hell did that 16 month old grand daughter go!

LEN

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
VAfan wrote:

Also any camping with grandkids advice is welcome.

As for the 4 y/o DGD expect to run around a lot and answer interminable questions.
You might be able to distract her with "Go Fish!", "Old Maid" and "Crazy Eights" card games; and an introduction to chess, checkers and backgammon. She might also be interested in playing "Twister" (but err you prolly won't be;))and this version of Simon:

http://www.toysrus.com/buy/toys/simon-game-1897-23788546

A bottle of bubbles fascinate all ages and can be purchased or made at home readily. The DYI version of bubbles made with glycerin is superior to my way of thinking but a 5:1 solution of liquid dishwashing detergent and water works fine too. You can make an awe inspiring bubble wand using a metal clothes hanger.

Another "kids of all ages" delight are glow in the dark sticks or jewelry w/ lots of connectors. Been buying glow in the dark stuff for DGD since she was 3 or 4 y/o and still being begged for more this year when she'll turn 11 y/o. I buy them at Oriental Trading Company online but have noted they are also available at Target's and Walmart's in the "Indulgent Grandparents'" aisle conveniently located by the cash registers. You can also find inexpensive paint sets (5 bucks during Christmas season!) for paper and rock there as well.

More "Hopes this helps and enjoy 'em while they are young" thoughts :).

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
My kids, 4 and 8 have been camping since 1 month in many different campers. We had hi chair that slid onto the table. 3 sit in the booth, with baby hanging happily on the slide on hi chair. Now the kids sleep in tents, go on boondocking adventures, and look forward to camping year round.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
on a parents lap, in a bumbo chair, in a highchair (they can be quite portable) ect. not sure what the issue is. a young one is not much different camping than at home. currently have a 2.5 year old and a 2 month old. camp with both of them no problems.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a chair we used for years with the grandkids. It clips right onto the table.

Seat
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a foldup high chair (ciao! Baby Portable High Chair from Amazon) for inside at the table and use a clamp on high chair at the picnic table at the campsite.