cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can't fix stupid

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I live in the middle of the block in town. Not a super busy street, but not a quiet one either. There are intersections less than 200' each side of me.

Here's the deal. I have to back the TT into my front yard, between 2 trees 12' apart. Not hard to do really. I always wait until traffic clears. But it NEVER fails that after I start the process, a car will come over the hill and run right up to the front of the truck, or rear of the TT. Understand, they can see me for more than 2 blocks, and there is ample time for them to turn, and go around, but they still come on. So guess what. They get to sit, and watch the master back slowly out of the road.
Once I get 50' of TV, and TT stretched out across a 30' road, ain't nobody getting by.
Were it me, and I saw a TT across the road, and I had a couple intersections to turn and go around. I'd do it in a New York minute.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers
53 REPLIES 53

jasult
Explorer
Explorer
Tractor trailer drivers do this just about every delivery in cities.
No one gives us a brake
Jim & Georgeanne + Lucie the beagle
"excavator" on the DieselStop.Com
1999 F350 CC LB Hydra chip
1996 F250 Powerstroke, Tony tunes, BTS trans
1995 Fleetwood Wildness 30 ft 5ver

Our Camping Pics and 5ver Album here
Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've held up traffic for 30 minutes, I bet sometimes at our last home.
Nobody got mad but everyone knows everyone on the street and many have their own RVs. Everybody strives to get along. Watching the TV news for a few minutes gets everyone out of whack these days though.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure it is a big deal. If I was coming down the street I would not turn around. I would just stop and wait. It is not like you are setting up camp in the middle of the road. I live on a block that is semi-dead end. You either live on the block or you are trying to make a short cut around a main road. It takes me maybe 30 seconds to get in my narrow drive between two hills. If someone comes up and is impatient and I know they do not live on my block I just go into my "this is the first time I ever backed up a trailer mode".

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I see a small version of this every day in a part of Austin where they have back in parking places. Person "A" stops and throws on the reverse lights, person "B" behind lays on the horn, road rage ensues.

Me, I don't even try for that parking, and park on a side street where there are plenty of quiet spots just 100-200 feet away.

I think the OP is encountering the same mentality that people get at strip malls... the herds fight over parking spaces right at the front, but if they don't mind walking a few feet, there are aisles of empty places far from the carts and other traffic ready to be used.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Me, I'd keep coming to watch the show, especially if I had front row seating first in line.

Trailer follies are like boat ramp follies. Always entertaining. Watched a guy go backward & forward 15 times (yes I counted) getting into a moderately easy back in site a few weeks ago.

Oh, & no, You cannot fix stupid.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
I would drive on up and just watch. It might make me green with envy or I might laugh myself silly. Either way I would enjoy the show.
I ,because of a telephone pole have to enter, from the wrong side, between the pole and a tree, do an S turn and through a 10 foot gate. We try to charge admission but the neighbors won't pay.
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Good grief...
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same issue. I live in a rural area but my street is one of the paved ones.

I have a large curve on one side and a hill on the other. It never fails as I arrive home, there will be no cars either way.

When I get to top of the hill at my drive and stop...then there will be 5 cars waiting on both sides.

I back a 40" DP in my drive with a gate 12' at front by road. Takes a couple of maneuvers to get it in.

One day a biker decided he wasn't gonna wait on me, he took off around in the grass and almost wiped out.....

Some people expect you to hurry and risk hitting something...I take my time now....
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
My guess is that they are distracted drivers (cell phone, texting, etc) and don't notice until they are too close to you to turn down a side street. It's getting so bad around here that every day I have to tap the horn to let someone ahead of me know the light has changed green(quite a while ago!). Meanwhile I miss the left turn arrow because of them and then have to wait for another whole light cycle.

Steve

RangerJay
Explorer
Explorer
I know I have entertained many folks in my efforts at backing up - and without question - the only time I REALLY screw up is when someone is watching - so when I get the chance to watch someone else backup I just view it as my turn to be entertained ....

Kind of like front-row reality TV ....

Jay
2002 Bambi 19' - the "Toaster"
2009 Nissan Pathfinder - the "Buggy"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Artum Snowbird wrote:
Or maybe they just like to watch...they have a rig like yours and need to figure out how to do it right. Or they have a rig like yours and like to watch to see how many times it takes for you to get it right.

x2 on the last part:B

Sez_Hoo_
Explorer
Explorer
lizbard wrote:
Did you hear the schools are going to quit teaching cursive? They feel it is not necessary since everyone does their writing on the computer. How are they going to sign their paychecks? Print their name or use an "X"?

GUILTY!!!:S I would really have to break a sweat to try to remember how to write in cursive :h. Truthfully the only time I do use cursive is to sign my name. I guess I need to make an effort and to stop printing and to go back to cursive.:o
Steven
USCG EMC Ret.
Lilly Pi
1998 Country Coach Intrigue
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
sleepyT wrote:
Two words POLITICALY CORRECT. As a nation we are told, we are special and that" we deserve this" and "we deserve that". As a child I was taught I didn't deserve anything, that I had to work for what I got. Another thing that is Dumbing our nation down TELEVISION. Even the major stations show nothing but mindless BULL----. When I was young the shows on TV were real entertainment.

THAT'S MY STORY AND I'M STICKEN TO IT!!!!!!!

sleepyT no truer words has been spoken!!! We are here too serve the younger generation.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think the title says it ALL!

People just don't think more than one second a head of what they are doing.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
When I am backing up our driveway, I will stop to allow my wife to put some wooden ramps behind the wheels to keep the rear from dragging. It never fails that someone will be coming up the street. But in all the years,it seems everybody waves as they go by after waiting patiently.