cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can you winterize a Keurig coffee maker?

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
Well can you? I turn it upside down but no water comes out. I know there is a bunch in there. Or do I have to leave it home?
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS
30 REPLIES 30

rondeb
Explorer
Explorer
We leave our Keurig in freezing temps in the RV. How I do it is start the coffee pot to make the largest cup. I immediately pull the water tank off so no additional water goes into the tank. I have tried shaking the pot after and can hear no water and if there is some, it is a small amount and has room to expand. The secret is to pull the water before it starts filling the inner tank. You have to start the cup first because if you pull the tank too fast it just reads water low.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
There is -one- model of Keurig that allows you to drain the internal water tank. The K140. There is a knob on the back that you switch to "drain", then punch the button for brewing, and it will empty the internal tank.

Well, it does work. The Keurig was in temperatures in the mid-teens for a few weeks, and still works.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
nomad297 wrote:
Slownsy wrote:
Simple solution is kaled a kettle use it on stove or over fier to drain tip it op.
Frank.

Not so simple to understand what you're saying, though.

Bruce

He said 'Simple solution is called a kettle. Use it on stove or over a fire. To drain, tip it up.'

That was DW's answer too, even though she loves her Keurig at home.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Slownsy wrote:
Simple solution is kaled a kettle use it on stove or over fier to drain tip it op.
Frank.

Not so simple to understand what you're saying, though.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
I have left my Keurig, un-winterized, in my trailer for three winters with no problems. The coldest temp it has experienced is 4 degrees Fahrenheit.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
SkiingSixPack wrote:
The vodka idea intrigued me, so I did a little searching .... I didn't find anything about using alcohol (or the pink stuff) in the tank. But I did find this ... Many of these look pretty good ๐Ÿ™‚

I love Chai Tea ... but that Chai Coffee sounds interesting .. will have to show this website to my daughter ...
Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma Marji, and Grandpa
2008 Suburban / 2004 Alpenlite TT(FT)

wbrown62
Explorer
Explorer
Slownsy wrote:
Frank.

???????????????
2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You know,,, Considering the size of a KEURIG coffee maker, and the improtance of Coffee (There is no life before Coffee) it would seem to me there is a very very very very easy way to winterize.

Transfer to kitchen in house and ... MAKE COFFEE.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

dave_smith1
Explorer
Explorer
I found these instructions on http://www.fixya.com/support/t3381543-drain_keurig_b40_coffee_maker. YMMV (sorry, link builder is not working)

Here is a simple solution:

Pour all the water out of the reservoir and remove the filter if you have one.
Get a large cup for the largest setting you have.
Lie the reservoir on its side and take a piece of tape. A long piece and tape the reservoir up all the way. (DONT PRESS THE TAPE SO HARD THAT YOU CANNOT PULL OFF. JUST TO HOLD UP THE DISK)
Put the reservoir back on the light will stop blinking.
Put a glass underneath the whole and press the larges setting you have. The water will brew. After it is complete the motor pump will continue to try and pull water.
So Turn OFF the Keurig and your internal tank is empty.
Reach in and pull the tape off and you are done.
Regards,
Dave & Kristi Smith
----------------------
2013 Arctic Fox 29-5K FW
2011 Ford F350 Lariat
Visit our RV site!

hermy
Explorer
Explorer
The unit we carry in the rig is one of those little single cup deals. Apparently they do not hold anything in a resevoir because ours gets frozen all the time while in storage and it still works fine. But the bigger ones apparently are a different deal.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
There's always a lot of water left in my Keurig. I found a Youtube video of how to empty it out. It required dismantling the stupid thing and unhooking the hoses to the pump and heating tank.

As an aside, don't let them sit too long with water in them. I thought the Internet stories about the bacteria and mold growing in them was bunk until I stayed at a vacation rental a couple months ago. There was a sign on the Keurig from the house's owner that said to run a full tank of water through it before using it. Sure enough, the first few cups had all kinds of black stuff swirling around in the water.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wow, My Kurig is a MINI-10, very little if any water remains in it once it's done brewing (Same as an automatic drip coffee maker)

I used to have a Senseo machine (uses coffee pods) it had a cap you removed and woosh went the water.

Be aware the reason Green Mountain Came out with the Keruig 2.0....

Some folks did not bother paying a licensing fee before making coffee "Kups" for the Keurig line... So they came up with a scanner that checks for the Keruig logo on the K-Cup,,, The 2.0 will refuse to brew if that logo is not present,, alas, not even all genuine Keurig K-Kups will work in the stupid thing.

Overides are possible.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

LaunchnRetrieve
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
Fill it with Vodka and run it a few times. That should clear out the water.

And that comment means I'm having Irish Coffee in the morning!