cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

cetane boost

sem1
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you diesel owners use it. I'm buying a new ford and they are still recommending it,
47 REPLIES 47

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
The study may be several years old but that does not change the results. The current ULSD fuel appears to need some help in the lubricity department. And if the products tested are still on the market, then I want to know where they ranked. If this is the latest study I can find, then that's what I'll use.

Agreed that the OP was asking about cetane improvement. My .02 is that the OP does not need to worry about cetane levels. But maybe should do something to improve the lubricity of the fuel we all have to use. I want that REALLY expensive HPFP to live a long time.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dusty,
That study is dated and should be deleted or updated, IMO. And lubricity has nothing to do with the OP's subject of improving cetane. I do agree with you about Stanadyne Performance. It is a good product for a number of issues. And it was approved by Ford until they came out with their product.

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
I use Stanadyne Performance additive based on the recommendation of my diesel mechanic son. The engine runs quieter and I see a slight improvement in MPG. I have used the Diesel Kleen and do not see much difference between it and the Stanadyne. There are several lubricity studies that have been done on the web. The best additive listed is 'Soy Bio Diesel' and ever thing falls into place below that.

Click

Lubricity Additive Study Results
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
My mechanic of 35 years told me to add it when I bought this truck. That's all Ineeded to know. 35 years, he hasn't sent me in the wrong yet. Uses it in his own trucks. Recommended the Motorcraft PM-22.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
The OP asked about a cetane improver, which is a completely different question then asking about a lubricity improver.

I would really question a dealer that's telling you to add a cetane improver - I don't see the need. I believe the federal minimum cetane in #2 these days is 45 and that's just fine for my 2013 F350.

Having said that, I know that most of the 'diesel additives' generally claim to add cetane too.

IMHO, what you really want to do is increase the lubricity, which is what most of the replys here are advising, and I also agree with. I add Ford's PM22a, which does increase the cetane level too. But I use it because of the additional lubricity that it provides.

Tim

Ford PM22A MSDS here:

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/msds/us178699us.pdf

How much increase in lubricity will a few ounces of light machine oil dissolved in 12 ounces of naphtha and diluted with 20 gallons of diesel fuel provide?
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Power Service Diesel fuel additive. A few ounces per tank at fillup. Never thought about not using something. Cold weather gelling is not something I want to happen to this truck. Happened on a diesel beetle we once had and it always had to go by flatbed to repair shop. Not something I want to do now.
2007 Jayco Designer 36RLTS
2006 F350 DRW 6.0 PSD (powerstrokehelp.com)
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
The OP asked about a cetane improver, which is a completely different question then asking about a lubricity improver.

I would really question a dealer that's telling you to add a cetane improver - I don't see the need. I believe the federal minimum cetane in #2 these days is 45 and that's just fine for my 2013 F350.

Having said that, I know that most of the 'diesel additives' generally claim to add cetane too.

IMHO, what you really want to do is increase the lubricity, which is what most of the replys here are advising, and I also agree with. I add Ford's PM22a, which does increase the cetane level too. But I use it because of the additional lubricity that it provides.

Tim

dsomonster
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel Kleen in the grey bottle for me. Not cold enough in SoCal to use the white bottle.

I can get the grey or white bottles at my local Wal-Mart. Always in stock!

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
Need good old sulfur additive. Surly someonse sells it for older diesels?

Why on earth would you want to put a sulfur additive in your fuel?
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I just use the Caterpillar lubricity additive, when I can get it, and a little biodiesel but not over a gallon or two.
Since our C7 is before ULSD I probably need to check into cetane booster. Don't want a lot of napha though. Need good old sulfur additive. Surly someonse sells it for older diesels?

RaenMark
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using Power Service for over 10 years in our diesels, pickups x2 and not the MH. Always been pleased with the performance we get. Nothing documented, but they start nicely, and give as good a power as any. Use it at work in our airport ramp equipment also. Helps keep the injectors clean.
Rae & Mark
Bountiful, UT
2005 Alfa See Ya 40
Finally found a rig I can stand up in!

sjholt
Explorer
Explorer
Opti-Lube XPD contains:

Petroleum naphtha: Solvent-Refined Heavy
Trimethylbenzene: solvent

2-Ethylhexyl nitrate: cetane enhancer

1 ,2,4-Trimethylbenzene: solvent

1 ,3,5-Trimethylbenzene: solvent

Propylene glycol ethers: are commonly used as solvents

Xylene: xylene refers to a group of three benzene derivatives which are used as a solvent

Cumene: is used as a thinner for paints,

Naphthalene: is a natural constituent of coal tar (approximately 11%) (HSBD, 1995). It is present in gasoline and diesel fuels. Naphthalene is used as a moth repellent,

Ethylbenzene: is an organic chemical compound which is an aromatic hydrocarbon. Its major use is in the petrochemical industry as an intermediate compound for the production of styrene, which in turn is used for making polystyrene, a commonly used plastic material

So-- Where is the LUBE?
Skip
1996 32' Monaco Windsor DP
Cummins 5.9L 230+ HP
5 Airbags in front- 4 in back

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bigdog wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
I`de say something about the cost of owning a diesel. but I don`t want to rub it in!

It may have cost more,but my '01 PSD Excursion got 10.5 mpg towing our 96003 35' travel trailer. I put in a DP tuner and boosted it to 12.5 towing 16 in town and 22 on the freeway. Let's just see your V10 do that.

It will not do that, but I still haven`t gotten to the point where the cost difference has made me wish I had the diesel. I`m still ahead with the V-10!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
2009 6.4 I use it. Very few diesel pumps have the Cetane # listed.

I use it when pulling the trailer on a trip but not when we are at home not pulling anything.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
I`de say something about the cost of owning a diesel. but I don`t want to rub it in!

Yep - HDT mfgrs are going to switch to gas any day now..:R..:R

~