cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cheapskate question

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Just for instance: If one wishes to purchase an RV located out of state, would it be possible to purchase contingent on the condition that it is delivered (1) not in the state where located, and (2) in an adjacent state, so that one could pay the taxes/registration only in one's own state?
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.
17 REPLIES 17

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
"Hypothetically speaking", one can do a lot of things to....Ill say, umm work around paying taxes and what you're proposing is one of them.
You just need an address in that state.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:

Unless the dealer is really desperate for a sale, I can't imagine they'd deliver it out of state, unless it is a really short drive. If you are willing to pay for them to deliver it, they might be more open to it.

When we purchased a TT in 2010, part of the deal was for them(Camping World) to deliver to a place 4 hours away. Was still registered in our home state, was just being stored at a campground at the beach. I'm sure we ended up paying for it, although they they made it sound like they were doing us a favor. And when we traded it in, it was back at the beach (4 hrs away) and they went and picked up as we traded it in on our current motorhome... once again, I'm sure they didn't lose anything...

They can do whatever they want...It all depends on how beneficial the ned deal is going to be for them.

Our experience in dealing with buying cars out of state is that there is generally credit from one state to another. Or they will register in your home state for you and you the taxes will be handled accordingly. We never ever had a situation of being double charged for taxes or an issue of them being registered in any other state than where we live.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

MrWizard
Gonzo42 wrote:
Just for instance: If one wishes to purchase an RV located out of state, would it be possible to purchase contingent on the condition that it is delivered (1) not in the state where located, and (2) in an adjacent state, so that one could pay the taxes/registration only in one's own state?

it won't be cheaper
it will cost you more money, one way or another

what ever it costs you in transportation expense, it will also cost them
plus being paid for the time an effort to deliver it to you

you want it, the best thing is for you to go get it and bring it home
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
garmp1 wrote:
OK, on the same topic, I'm trying to sell my RV to a couple from Massachusetts and they want to, after inspection, purchase, etc "borrow" my plates to drive home. I offered "transit" plates from my state, but they claim that that won't work in their state.
Here's the quote:
From agent: 'Buying a vehicle out of state and wondering if you can use temporary plates in Massachusetts? If you are a Massachusetts resident the answer is a definitive no. '
The Massachusetts Association of Insurance Agents reports that the Registry of Motor Vehicles issued a formal statement regarding whether paper or temporary plates are permitted on vehicles purchased by Massachusetts residents from out-of-state dealers.
"Massachusetts does not issue temporary registration plates for its own residents but it does recognize temporary registration plates validly registered in other states to non-residents of Massachusetts who are temporarily operating in this state (assuming the plates are not expired or suspended.) Thus, a Connecticut resident operating a motor vehicle in Massachusetts on validly issued temporary Connecticut registration plates is OK, but a Massachusetts resident operating a newly purchased motor vehicle in Massachusetts with validly issued temporary Connecticut plates is not.
A Massachusetts resident who purchases a motor vehicle in another state must apply for and attach valid Massachusetts registration plates to the vehicle before he/she can drive the vehicle back to Massachusetts."

I'm at a lose as what to do. Do I have liability issues with my plates on a RV I sold? Is Mass that hard to work with? Any ideas?

Massachusetts is indeed that hard to work with. They do not issue in transit permits, nor do they recognize them from other states for Massachusetts residents. They (apparently grudgingly) do acknowledge that they're legal for non-Massachusettes people driving through the state, but that's about it.

If your plates are on it, you're responsible for the vehicle in the eyes of the law. I would not leave the plates on it for some random person who has purchased my vehicle. (If I knew them personally, it might be a different matter.) I would be much more inclined to work out some way of delivering it myself than to let them drive off with my plates.

The best way to handle this, though not especially convenient, would probably be to sell the vehicle and hand over the title etc. with payment received. The buyers can then take the paperwork to the Mass. RMV, pay taxes and fees and fill out paperwork, and obtain their plates. Then, armed with the registration, they can return to pick up the motorhome. It does mean two trips rather than one, but that's the cost of being a Massachusetts resident.

Incidentally, for this very reason when I was looking for my motorhome I did not consider any that were in Massachusetts.

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
We purchased our current trailer out of state. I wanted to personally and completely inspect it before we took possession. I strongly suggest you consider that...but yes, you could probably work a delivery option into the deal- it will cost you however.

You always pay taxes and registration/licensing fees based on your permanent residence address regardless where you purchase.

This comment saved me the time to answer.
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, on the same topic, I'm trying to sell my RV to a couple from Massachusetts and they want to, after inspection, purchase, etc "borrow" my plates to drive home. I offered "transit" plates from my state, but they claim that that won't work in their state.
Here's the quote:
From agent: 'Buying a vehicle out of state and wondering if you can use temporary plates in Massachusetts? If you are a Massachusetts resident the answer is a definitive no. '
The Massachusetts Association of Insurance Agents reports that the Registry of Motor Vehicles issued a formal statement regarding whether paper or temporary plates are permitted on vehicles purchased by Massachusetts residents from out-of-state dealers.
"Massachusetts does not issue temporary registration plates for its own residents but it does recognize temporary registration plates validly registered in other states to non-residents of Massachusetts who are temporarily operating in this state (assuming the plates are not expired or suspended.) Thus, a Connecticut resident operating a motor vehicle in Massachusetts on validly issued temporary Connecticut registration plates is OK, but a Massachusetts resident operating a newly purchased motor vehicle in Massachusetts with validly issued temporary Connecticut plates is not.
A Massachusetts resident who purchases a motor vehicle in another state must apply for and attach valid Massachusetts registration plates to the vehicle before he/she can drive the vehicle back to Massachusetts."

I'm at a lose as what to do. Do I have liability issues with my plates on a RV I sold? Is Mass that hard to work with? Any ideas?
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Taxes are indeed complex.. Depending on the tax in question.. You may be able to pay the Sales Tax at time of registration or title transfer (or not)

But the answer to your question is this: Depends on how badly the seller wants your money and/or to get rid of the RF.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Community Alumni
Not applicable
downtheroad wrote:
We purchased our current trailer out of state. I wanted to personally and completely inspect it before we took possession. I strongly suggest you consider that...but yes, you could probably work a delivery option into the deal- it will cost you however.

You always pay taxes and registration/licensing fees based on your permanent residence address regardless where you purchase.

In California as the end user one will pay the sales tax regardless of your home state with one exception that being buying here and then returning to Mexico.

JimR

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've bought a couple of them out of state. They give you a temporary registration and the necessary paperwork. You bring it to your state, pay their sales tax and register it there. Never had a problem.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I looked into buying a RV in California the dealer said I would have to pay sales tax to California if I picked it up in state. If I had it delivered I would not have to pay.

I have bought several RV'S out of state and they don't charge sales tax, I pay sales tax in my home state. California being the exception.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many states will issue a transit permit or some other temporary registration for just this situation. The fee, in such cases, is nominal, and no tax is collected. You then drive the RV home and register as usual.

When I bought my motorhome in New Hampshire, I think I had to cough up $10 for the NH transit permit and then had thirty days to drive it back to Vermont and pay taxes and get it properly registered.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Gonzo42 wrote:

Unless the dealer is really desperate for a sale, I can't imagine they'd deliver it out of state, unless it is a really short drive. If you are willing to pay for them to deliver it, they might be more open to it.

We bought our Motorhome in NJ, while we lived in GA. Hadn't planned to buy while in NJ, it just worked out that way. We financed the MH. Our salesman asked us what GA's sales tax was and who we pay our vehicle registration to. When we closed, they gave us a check made out to our County's Tax Commissioner in the amount of the sales tax. He told us that if we were paying cash, they wouldn't have even charged us Sales Tax, just let GA collect it. He said the bank wanted proof that we paid Sales Tax.

When we went to register it, we gave the tax collector the check. They charged us a few dollars extra because NJ does not charge sales tax on Document and Licensing Fees, but GA does.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Purchased ours out of state, registered in Oregon only, 5er was located in northern Washington. Drove up and inspected, and towed home 250 miles.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
bought two of them out of state deal made over the phone subject to inspection, flew out looked them over drove them home. not a problem.they picked us up at the airport.