cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning question I haven't found answered elsewhere?

Michigan_RV_er
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all!

I have been searching through the forums here for over an hour trying to find the answer, but I'm still confused.

I now know how to remove bugs, black streaks, and what waxes work best but...

Here's the little back story. My very first camping trip after purchasing our used 2003 Class C last spring, my GPS gets us lost for 2 hours on Michigan dirt roads. It was miserable. We were so excited, and then my GPS was telling us to make turns where there was no road. At one point we got within 1 mile to our destination campground but the GPS had us pointed straight at a big rutted out mud pit of a season logging road. So we got the rig turned around and kept trucking. (Yes, I immediately went out and purchased a County map book after that trip).

The fine particle dirt found it's way into everything! And the Check Engine Light came on as a result of all the chatter bumps and engine vacuum lines coming loose.

Anyways, ever since then my RV has looked like an abandoned dirty 70 year old single wide trailer. It has a brownish hue to the entire coach area and no longer shines at all.

I have washed it a few times with automotive soap. I can see dirt washing off of it. But it doesn't get ride of the brown-ness color of the coach at all.

What would be my action plan here? If I "polish" with a buffer of some kind, will that remove the discoloration and expose the brighter white underneath again?

Thanks. I really appreciate your opinions.
16 REPLIES 16

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
I would watch out for the magic eraser as I believe it is a really fine abrasive. People on here report using magic eraser to remove stubborn spots and later the erased spots showed dull against a shiny surface.

I would try a cleaner wax first and if that didn't work I wold go to a polishing compound followed by a wax.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

big_buford
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder how a white 3m scrubbie and bar keepers friend would work? Worked great when I did the redmax pro/zep on a couple areas of my rig.
04.5 GMC 2500HD D/A
06 38 CKS Dune Chaser
Chenowth 4-seat 3.5 honda
15 maverick xds
Beautiful wife that's much nicer than me:B

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I use Jasco prepaint cleaner (a phophate substitute) to remove oxidation and grime on cars, boats, and trailers. It is sprayed on, brushed, and rinsed. Follow up the cleaning with a good marine wax.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome is concentrated and Magic Erasers contain bleach so you do need to do a small area and rinse immediately.But I have used this combination for many years and never had a problem removing paint or decals.I start at the top of the trailer and do a 4 ft x 4 ft section.Spray on,let sit for about a minute,then scrub with Magic Eraser.Then rinse area you just washed plus the area below it.Work your way across the top and then down. Like others have said,try a small area first and you must rinse right after washing.I think that's where others have had issues like the guy said he used it on the roof and it ran down the sides.I used it on the roof too and it works great.But rinse it good and you'll be fine.Plus Awsome is only $1.00 a bottle and you can buy gallon refills.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
RGar974417 wrote:
Go to the local Dollar Store.Buy " Awesome".$1.00 a bottle.Spray on.leave set for about a minute.Then use a Mr Clean Magic Eraser".Do a small section about 4 x 4ft starting at the top of the trailer and work your way down rinsing as you go.

Good advice.

Unless it's in an enclosed garage, better wait a week or so!..;)

billkaufmann
Explorer
Explorer
I use KRUDKUTTER. Works great. Got it at Home Depot

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Michigan RV'er wrote:
I appreciate everyone's suggestions! Thanks!

Looking back, I agree. The paint probably needed some attention when I bought it. But it looked pretty good and I didn't know what I didn't know yet. (Which has happened more than once since I bought it.)

I'm not sure if I will try the "Awesome" cleaner on the RV at first, but I'm definitely going to pick some up! I didn't know this stuff existed. Seems like it cleans all sorts of things.

I also didn't know there was such thing as a cleaner wax. I thought things either cleaned or protected (waxed).

I received a quote for the RV place down the road. They stated they could get it looking great again for $1,200. I would have to imagine that is mostly labor cost. I'm willing to do the work myself, which is why I'm researching now. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks!

I have used Awesome on the roof. Big mistake. some ran down the sides, and it killed the paint, and decals where it touched. Wax brought most of it back. But it was damaged. Do the wax first. Awesome is just too harsh for paint. Unless of course it is REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, diluted.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Michigan RV'er wrote:

Looking back, I agree. The paint probably needed some attention when I bought it. But it looked pretty good and I didn't know what I didn't know yet. (Which has happened more than once since I bought it.)

I'm not sure if I will try the "Awesome" cleaner on the RV at first, but I'm definitely going to pick some up! I didn't know this stuff existed. Seems like it cleans all sorts of things.

I also didn't know there was such thing as a cleaner wax. I thought things either cleaned or protected (waxed).

I received a quote for the RV place down the road. They stated they could get it looking great again

for $1,200.

I would have to imagine that is mostly labor cost. I'm willing to do the work myself, which is why I'm researching now. :)Thanks!

I'd get another quote on that if I were you.:W

The going rate for RV detailing across the US is $100 per 10 feet.

And there are a ton of competent independent RV detailer's in every town. Just call a local CG and ask for the name/phone number of who the local RV detailer is. They don't stay in business unless they are good.

Stay AWAY from RV dealerships all you are going to get is the 16 year old wash boy at service department hourly rates!!! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Michigan_RV_er
Explorer
Explorer

I received a quote for the RV place down the road. They stated they could get it looking great again for $1,200. I would have to imagine that is mostly labor cost. I'm willing to do the work myself, which is why I'm researching now. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks!

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
First thing you need to try is a good cleaner wax. Something like MeQuire's. It will clean oxidation, black streaks and bugs off. IF it does not bring back the shiny finish. Then you will need to take the RV to a body shop, and maybe have them water sand, and buff it before you spring for a paint job

x2
I use Mothers and McGuires wax on my MH. I wax it just about every other week while I am stopped in a CG for a night or two. This keeps ALL and any grime stuff/molds etc. from really getting a hold on the RV. Which if you allow your RV to oxidize it 'gives' the dirt and crime something to hold on to.

Not to mention it looks nicer when waxed often.:W

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
First thing you need to try is a good cleaner wax. Something like MeQuire's. It will clean oxidation, black streaks and bugs off. IF it does not bring back the shiny finish. Then you will need to take the RV to a body shop, and maybe have them water sand, and buff it before you spring for a paint job
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
x2
Be very careful using that stuff on an RV.

The awesome I found at the Dollar Store was in a 'spray bottle'. BUT it was a concentrate. Who puts a concentrate in a spray bottle?
Label also clearly states it will remove finishes.

Go to any camping store and pick up a bottle of Black Streak Remover MEANT for RV finishes. Camco and Fulltimers Choice are the brand names.

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful using the "Awesome" cleaner. That stuff is strong! It will clean anything.

I might try a small spot with polish or wax by hand to see if that works before I got too rough with it.

But like someone else said, sounds like your paint may have been in need of attention before your adventure.
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

geotex1
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the finish on the camper had already been maintained incorrectly before it became yours. The only way the paint would have held the staining from the mineral-rich silt or clay comprising the mud would have been if it was oxidized and chalking before the encounter. Taking advice from the forum members who haven't seen it could get you in trouble because paint that is that oxidized/chalking also strips very easily! My advice to you, as an extreme car guy whose has put many vehicles into car shows, would be for you to search out a highly recommended detailer in your area who advertises paint correction services. They will give you the honest answer if there's any salvaging of the finish. If you go to a body shop, they'll just want to sell you a paint job from go. Hopefully it can be salvaged for you! Happy Camping!