cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Common courtesy

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the mountains for a few days. People have been passing through our site like they paid for it. The have been walking right across our patio where we put our table. We decided to stand there a while to see what they would do. Two grown men and and a grown boy walked right by us without speaking. I finally asked if they knew better and he said yes but. Can't fix stupid.
45 REPLIES 45

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
One of the twerks walked right across the middle of my patio with me standing near the center. He passed within a foot of me. He didn't say a word. I lost my patience at that point. Needless to say he was the last to do that for the next few days until we left. Next time I won't wait so long to speak up. I found it only gets worse if nothing is said.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
http://digitalcommons.law.yale.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=5460&context=fss_papers

https://books.google.com/books?id=QCes-uV3jQwC&pg=PA35&lpg=PA35&dq=tort+law+electric+streetcar&source=bl&ots=ETPoypure0&sig=RoubCk5aXguDqOOslfQOfk8q6mM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjynZ_Q3e7WAhXn5YMKHWG6D1EQ6AEILjAB#v=onepage&q=tort%20law%20electric%20streetcar&f=false

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
LadyRVer wrote:
bigred1cav....I disagree. It is my understanding I am responsible for any accidents which happen on the campsite I rented. As a full-timer rver, I have liability insurance for just the kind of accidents which can happen when people cut through the space I occupy.

Some insurance agent sold you insurance you don't need. You are not the property owner and unless you caused a condition on the property owners land. If you altered the land or created a nuisance attractive or other you would be liable. Common useage of your rented site does not make you liable for land conditions existing when you rented the land use as a tenant in common.

If you stretched a line and some person was harmed by that line you're liable. You dig a hole your problem. The person walks in to the fire pit that you did not move not your liability. They walk on the site cut their head on a slide most likely their on their own no invitation to be there, no attractive nuisance.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I guess we have a pretty high threshold of "camping indignity". Just once, when we were given what was truly NOT a regular campsite, so it was cramped - did we pull the picnic table in a manner that blocked the neighbor kids' access through our site to the playground. They actually bumped our awning arms as they passed within 2' of the motorhome, which of course made our dogs bark.

But people walking down the "line" between sites? Doesn't bother us or our dogs.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Crime scene(caution) tape. Tell them they are still looking for the last guy who crossed thru your campsite.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I keep a couple of full dog poop bags outside the rig. When someone passes thru
I hole them towards them and ask them if they wouldn't mind dropping them off at the dumpster.

This tactic I LOVE. No one gets hurt, a point is well-made and you might even get someone to dispose of your poop for you!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
This whole thread is a lot of what keeps us away from the crampgrounds.

We have been in some where the design should have been done with clearly defined paths to the facilities, but there is none. The facility was centered in the layout. So, campers wanting/needing access have to walk a lot farther than the sight distance to get there. That makes the simple choice to go through and with no path??

Another common crampground issue is the delineation of site space and the acute lack of same. This had even been remarked on by Chuck Woodbury at RVTravel. He has noted the times that the neighbor's sewer access is in the middle of his "patio" space and quite unavoidable.

This is not to say that all camping spaces are this way, and it is not a condemnation of private grounds, just some common issues. I will never slight a person for trying to get a good ROI, but I sure am not going to be pleased to get less than what I am paying for.

There is adequate blame to go around. Most of the problems come from a lack of either thought or courtesy on someones part.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Common courtesy, along with common sense has gone the same way as society in general has...down the tirlet.

X100 to that!!!!!!!!
X101. Wait, things will get much worse with each generation that follows. Society had reached it's plateau a couple of generations ago. We are now witnessing a downward spiral.

Then does that indicate the world has the previous generations to blame for this downward spiral? Meaning, you could have fixed the situation but instead ignored it?

:h
I love me some land yachting

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some of y'all must have this happen routinely everywhere you go. You already have pre-planned and pre-positioned reaction, apparently in anticipation that this will happen even before you embark on your trip!

Certainly is rude if folks cut through your camping area. I've yet to have that happen, thankfully.. at least not when I've been around.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
I've been guilty of it on 2 occasions. Both times we hiked a loop, and the trail dumped out right between 2 campsites. Really weird to have a trailhead in a campsite. We apologized as we went through and felt bad about it. Both times it was a state park but in 2 different states.

This is quite courteous...you acknowledge the tenants and apologized for the unexpected intrusion. Good Form
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
acker1 wrote:
I keep a couple of full dog poop bags outside the rig. When someone passes thru I hole them towards them and ask them if they wouldn't mind dropping them off at the dumpster.

DICK

Thats not polite...at all.

Might not be "polite", but I like it ... in my thoughts it's hilarious, actual practice ... probably never. Remember to put out my (imaginary) sign to beware of dog poo on the ground too!

petrel
Explorer
Explorer
If my site selection or assignment really caused it, I will usually just suck it up until I can move. If I am just surrounded by very rude people, I pour myself a drink, and make harassing trespassers my new hobby.

I find that uncomfortable eye contact, abrupt introductions, making it impossible for them to pass without engaging me, snapping photos, etc. usually weeds out the repeat offenders if they are American. I don't know how to run off Europeans, they are shameless!
43' Renegade/Coronado '06
2017 F450
2001 Ford Excursion PSD
1997 F350 Crew Cab PSD

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
And what would you be suing me over as you explain your uninvited trespassing on 'rental property' where you got wet while I wash washing down my table

Simple assault.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Crowe wrote:
I usually just spray them down with my hose

Spray ME down and get your attorney ready. That type of behavior puts you on the same level as the person who walks through your site-devoid of respect.

And what would you be suing me over as you explain your uninvited trespassing on 'rental property' where you got wet while I wash washing down my table :H

YOU as the trespasser are the one 'disrespecting'
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31