cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Confused on slideout maintenance

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2014 Coachmen Apex 214rb. It has a small dinette slide. Best I can determine it is a Schwintek slideout system. ( it has two flat bars on each side with teeth for the slide gears to work on and move it in and out ).

Was thinking of doing some preventive maintenance. Read my owners manual, useless as usual. Did a search and read some past post. Also looked at utube videos. Some folks say don't lube the slide, some say use dry silicone lube. A Lippert utube showed using crc powerlube to spray the gear thing behind the seals but did not mention lubing the track or spraying the seals.

The Lippert manual that came with the unit says " The Lippert above floor slideout system has been designed to require very little maintenance and has been static tested to over 2500 continuous cycles without any noticeable wear to rotating or moving parts. No grease or lubrication is necessary and in some situations may be detrimental to the environment and long term dependability of the system "

See why I might be confused?

Anyone know an accurate solution or is it just a matter of opinion?
9 REPLIES 9

JWRoberts
Explorer
Explorer
Our previous TT had the Schwintek and it still worked great after 10 years and we never did any maintenance. Whatever you do, don't use a lubricate that will hold dirt and dust.

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
After getting our new unit, I inspected & cleaned off the assembly debris, including errant sealer.
Not only tgat, the shipping sticker was still stuck to the top. The edges were starting to curl, it was only a matter of time before it started binding things.
After giving it a good scrub, I used dry silicone on all seals and the slide body where it rubbed up against the wiper seals.
I lubed the gibs & rollers per the video.
Before lubing the seals & body, I inspected the seals & found gaps where water would pour in at the top corners. Things were slapped together & not finished very well during assembly. I corrected those areas and added sealant where necessary to shed the water.

The slide now glides nearly effortlessly.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

mikebte
Explorer
Explorer
The issue with Schwintek is that you have to take your time and align everything just right, but most people are assembling on the line and doing it fast. This is were you get issues.
Lippert new style has room to flex allowing room for error.
I have worked on a ton of the systems, Don't lube it or you will be sorry. Just saying from experience.

If you want to lube them, go right ahead. But as mentioned above, dry lube and wipe clean.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I've been using Schwintek slides for a couple years now and they do require minor maintenance in my opinion.

As mentioned in the post above, the tracks should be cleaned to ensure no debris get stuck within it. Tree debris such as leaf pieces, pine needles, tiny bark pieces etc... can come off the slide roof with rain and end up in the tracks. It has happened on mine. I just do a quick scan of the tracks and remove any that may be an issue using a small flat screwdriver as a pick. I also spray the entire track system with dry silicone spray then wipe it down on a regular basis.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm using CRC lube as you saw on the utube video. And, I make sure the tracks on the side of the slide stay clean. I've use dry lube on them, but I doubt that it is really necessary. I suggest that you also monitor the rollers that are at the bottom of the slide out opening. I would assume at some point in the aging process, they will need replacing...but if one starts to fail, it's better to catch it right away.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:
mikebte wrote:
Schwintek Slides require no lube, they have come up with a lube just to please the people speaking lube, but I have been to many classes with Schwintek and they ask you not to lube them.

Lip pert has purchased Schwintek, so there may be change in the future.

that will not be a good thing.

chevman

Schwintek didn't have a stellar reputation before :S

NO Lube.......wash and wipe down to keep clean/debris free
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
mikebte wrote:
Schwintek Slides require no lube, they have come up with a lube just to please the people speaking lube, but I have been to many classes with Schwintek and they ask you not to lube them.

that will not be a good thing.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

mikebte
Explorer
Explorer

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I always keep a can of slide out lube on hand I purchased from my local RV dealership they recommended when we purchased new and been using it every since. I spray my slide tracks a couple times a year. No problems at all. My opinion (which doesn't mean very much) ... if it can move, it needs lube. I don't see anywhere where those tracks are sealed. So, I spray! (Works for me).