cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Flea Collars Really Repel Pests?

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
saw a tip in MotorHome magazine a few days ago about using a flea collar in the water heater bay to repel pests. has anyone tried this? does it work? what sort of pests...spiders, bugs, wasps, bees, mice???

found evidence of mice in our MH today (first time in 33-yrs fir us) and in the process of cleaning up and disinfecting. not much damage...nest was very small. gonna place a few traps and d-conn bait boxes but going forward would like to repel them.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle
27 REPLIES 27

Admin
samsontdog wrote:
I had mice in my TT this past June. I found out they were coming in by crawling along my elect cord as I was plugged into my elect box. I used poison bait and was lucky they died inside the TT

:E

Admin
Admin
RV.net

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I had mice in my TT this past June. I found out they were coming in by crawling along my elect cord as I was plugged into my elect box. I used poison bait and was lucky they died inside the TT
samsontdog:o:W

MrWizard
If flea collars repelled pests

I would wear one just to keep the beggars and Politicals away

When I go to the grocery. :B
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
rk911 wrote:
no cat. looking for point of entry, too. two different issues, though. the mice and whether a flea collar can really repel other pests as the tip stated. apologies for my poorly worded post.

i doubt the mice found their way in via the water heater...evidence was in a closet drawer and under kitchen sink...mostly in the closet drawer.

I didn't address that my error. I've heard about the flea collar too.
Works on bugs, rodents?

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Flea collars on a dog work by releasing their active ingredient into the dog via contact. The flea consumes the poison when it feeds on the dog. There is 'some' repellant effect, but it is minor compared the primary route.

When using poisons, pay the extra (if needed) and use the bestest most correctest one.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
PNW_Steve wrote:
I have used a product called "cab fresh" that has been very effective in keeping the mice away.

I worry about using bait. It's wonderful when the mice get hold of it. Not so much when a child or dog gets hold of it.

I have used traps and don't really care for dealing with dead mice with spring traps so I tried the "live catch" traps and that wasn't much fun either.

I often wonder when someone mentions using cab fresh and they never seem to mention that they did or did not have a problem with mice BEFORE using said product..

SO, did YOU have a mice problem BEFORE turning to Cab fresh?

Or did you simply start using it just to "prevent" a mouse issue?

I had a mice problem with my first TT, ZERO with my second and current TT..

The difference?

The first TT I never tried to find and fix all of the possible points of entry..

The second and current TT, I FOUND AND FIXED EVERY SINGLE TINY HOLE that goes to the outside of the trailer.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
i found 'Fresh Cab' online. thanks for the tip.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I have used a product called "cab fresh" that has been very effective in keeping the mice away.

I worry about using bait. It's wonderful when the mice get hold of it. Not so much when a child or dog gets hold of it.

I have used traps and don't really care for dealing with dead mice with spring traps so I tried the "live catch" traps and that wasn't much fun either.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
To answer your question,,, NO

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bait only as a absolute last resort, trapping would be better, this way you KNOW where they are, baits, not so much.. Baits, they take the bait with them and tend to die in places which you will never be able to get to them..

Have my doubts, folks have tried drier sheets, mice love to use them to make nests for some folks.

Folks have used moth balls, pew, terrible odor to clear in the spring but yet mice still take residence for some folks, folks have tried ultrasonic devices, essential oils, smelly soap and on and on but yet mice still leave little presents for some folks..

Yet there are folks who swear by all of these remedies because they have never seen evidence otherwise and others have still had issues with mice despite using all of these remedies..

BEST way is to PREVENT them from finding a way in.

This does require a lot of detective work on your part, typically they will come in where ever there is any opening from the outside to the inside that they can squeeze through.

It is shocking just how small of an opening they can get through.. I have seen claims from a dime size down to the diameter of a pencil..

So, find the holes where wiring, plumbing and heater ductwork go through the floor to the outside or basement and seal the gaps with something they can't chew through (eliminates GreatStuff spray can foam alone, they can and will chew through it so you were warned!).

They CAN and will chew through wood, plastics and soft thin metals like aluminum, copper. Steel will stop them but that is not friendly with electrical wiring or plumbing without lining it with some plastic grommet around the wiring or plumbing.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
no cat. looking for point of entry, too. two different issues, though. the mice and whether a flea collar can really repel other pests as the tip stated. apologies for my poorly worded post.

i doubt the mice found their way in via the water heater...evidence was in a closet drawer and under kitchen sink...mostly in the closet drawer.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
D Con will draw them as it is food to them. It will kill them seeking water or drinking it.If there is water nearby that may be where you find them dead.
Looking at your coach in your profile, I can't tell but your water heater is up on the side of the coach, isn't it. If they are getting to it there you have a hole on the bottom somewhere Really strong lights in the closet and elsewhere with you on the other side may help you find that hole and others. The expanding foam, in there flavors, large expansion small expansion etc squired into that or those holes and they won't come back in that way. They'll chew new ones if they can.
Copper Sulfate, if you can find it will stop rot, bugs and just about anything else. it smells like army tents or supply rooms used to. It is green an can be painted on. Maybe it can be sprayed on too. Might take some effort to get it everywhere.
Maybe start feeding your cat a bit less and under the MH if it is a mouser.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Repell with D-conn and steel wool.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad