cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DTV receiver gets really hot ..

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
In the overhead equipment shelves.. the radios run warm anyway and the sun beating down on the exterior makes it downright hot, doors open or closed.

I found this cute squirrel fan on eBay that sits perfectly on the receiver blowing air straight out into the cab, and it's USB powered from the DSS itself. Temps drop from hot to the touch to warm, like it should be in an open room. Regular box fans won't fit since there's a shelf 2.5" above the receiver.

DSS Fan
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
10 REPLIES 10

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
In the overhead equipment shelves.. the radios run warm anyway and the sun beating down on the exterior makes it downright hot, doors open or closed.

I found this cute squirrel fan on eBay that sits perfectly on the receiver blowing air straight out into the cab, and it's USB powered from the DSS itself. Temps drop from hot to the touch to warm, like it should be in an open room. Regular box fans won't fit since there's a shelf 2.5" above the receiver.

DSS Fan

Here it is on Amazon for lower price. Thanks. I've been looking for something like this for my Tablo tuner.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a white cat that curls up on top of my Genie. I was wondering about the heat and felt under him once. I could not believe he liked that kinda heat. :R

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Squirrel cage is a proven use in electronics. They move a lot of air for their size. Good find on the low-volt fan!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
I bought a couple of computer fans for "near nothing" from a local computer repair shop. Wired them to a 12 volt source (with a tiny on/off toggle switch). They are quite small (about 4" square, 1/2" thick),virtually silent, and with the cabinet door open, move enough air to keep things cool.
I've got lots of those laying around. There are plenty of cabinets, including mine that have a dividing shelf that simply don't allow any place to stick a box fan. This one is a tad over an inch tall, sits on the receiver, sucks up and blows out. There is hardly 1/4" space between the fan and it's upper shelf. Pretty hard to use a box here.

Jeff - WA6EQU

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a couple of computer fans for "near nothing" from a local computer repair shop. Wired them to a 12 volt source (with a tiny on/off toggle switch). They are quite small (about 4" square, 1/2" thick),virtually silent, and with the cabinet door open, move enough air to keep things cool.
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great idea, great find.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Triker33 wrote:
Why does it say AC fan but has a USB for power?
Because that's the name of the company.. Trust me, it's USB. There's even a 3 speed switch on the cord. Right now I'm leaving it on Low even though there's only a few mils. difference in current
Jeff - WA6EQU

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
Why does it say AC fan but has a USB for power?
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

Boxer_Lovers
Explorer
Explorer
I removed the plexiglass door from our A/V cabinet due to overheating. Equipment warned of over heating on tv screen and said it would shut down.

Manufacturers need to make cross ventilation a priority when building these enclosures. Not a hard thing to accomplish, just a touch of common sense will cure many problems.
Dave, Robin, and Buster the Boxer
2008 Beaver Contessa, 42, Caterpillar 425
Toad 2017 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Limited, M&G brake, Blue Ox.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes they do (Both DTV and Dish) I suggest becoming a FAN. or rather installing a FAN blowing cool air into the comartment where you park it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times