Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Egg shaped 'home'?

delosholly
Explorer
Explorer
There is this article on CNN.com about this new mini-house design:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/13/architecture/eco-capsule-nice-architects/?iid=ob_homepage_deskrecommended_pool&iref=obinsite

If you read the article, they are planning on mounting the Egg onto a chassis to make it more transportable.

Hmmm, let me see: it has a bed, it has a kitchen, it has a table, it has a bathroom, it has solar, it has wind turbine ...

I wonder, is there anything else out there that is on wheels and has all of those items? Anything? Can we here on RV.net come up with anything?

It amazes me to watch the TV show on Tiny Homes and see these people paying so much for a tiny home which is smaller than many RVs. Now I know that some RVs quality might not be up to snuff, but there are brands out there that can be used as a permanent residences.

Just my thoughts.

Del
Delos & Holly
2013 Camplite Truck Camper 10.0
2014 Ram 2500 Reg SRW LB
2012 Burgman 650
14 REPLIES 14

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
delosholly wrote:

I wonder, is there anything else out there that is on wheels and has all of those items? Anything? Can we here on RV.net come up with anything?

Del

How about Eggcamper or Casita?

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
At least you can't get cornered in there.

๐Ÿ™‚
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
100% agreed. From what I've seen, you simply can't compare the bang for the buck of a tiny home vs. an RV. I'm underwhelmed by this whole tiny house movement.

Latest fad I guess.

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
At least you can't get cornered in there.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
100% agreed. From what I've seen, you simply can't compare the bang for the buck of a tiny home vs. an RV. I'm underwhelmed by this whole tiny house movement.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I didn't have time to read the whole article in the link gbopp provided. But, the picture shows it on the top of a cliff. I would be paranoid a wind would come up and it would roll away and over the cliff.

HaHa! You're right!

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I didn't have time to read the whole article in the link gbopp provided. But, the picture shows it on the top of a cliff. I would be paranoid a wind would come up and it would roll away and over the cliff.

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
They imply that it can be set up anywhere and don't mention the fact that sewer access will be needed.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
delosholly wrote:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/13/architecture/eco-capsule-nice-architects/?iid=ob_homepage_deskrecommended_pool&iref=obinsite

If you read the article, they are planning on mounting the Egg onto a chassis to make it more transportable.

Hmmm, let me see: it has a bed, it has a kitchen, it has a table, it has a bathroom, it has solar, it has wind turbine ...

It amazes me to watch the TV show on Tiny Homes and see these people paying so much for a tiny home which is smaller than many RVs. Now I know that some RVs quality might not be up to snuff, but there are brands out there that can be used as a permanent residences.

Just my thoughts.

Del

Should be easy to tow and get decent mileage with such aerodynamic shape..
Domes shape houses are also quite strong due to its shape
http://www.monolithic.org/domes

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Looks cool... but as a place for day to day living? Impractical, just due to the round shape making it hard to store items. Just something like a file cabinet for day to day paperwork would almost require an outside storage shed.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
All I can say is "Na-nu Na-nu", for those old enough to remember "Mork from Ork". Sorry...couldn't resist. ๐Ÿ™‚

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Breeze X 2

mikebreeze
Explorer
Explorer
I just skimmed the article but I think that egg shaped whatever it is looks cool. I see a trend towards smaller houses and RV's in the future.
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A