cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Entry door window "covering"?

BillyandKris
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of light comes thru the fifth wheel entry door window. Cannot see out of it anyhow so would like to "darken" it somewhat. Have tried various things such as curtain at times you don't want lots of light coming in and not satisfied. Do not want to put the foil type thing on it, but may have to. Have seen some campers with a decorative sort of something or other in the window like stained glass or etched glass. Where do you get things like that? Looked on Camping World and didn't see anything like that. Any suggestions welcomed. I wish they just came with smoke colored glass!!
13 REPLIES 13

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our motorhome came with a shade. We can pull the shade down to block light/sun. It's mounted above the door and has a valance a valance that covers up the mountings.

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
I bought two pieces of 1/16" (16 gauge) aluminum, rounded the corners to match the window in the door, and spray painted both flat black.

Caulked each piece into each door with black caulking and problem solved. Can't tell any difference for the outside and no one notices from the inside. No light transmission, and no upkeep.
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
mlts22 wrote:
Camco sells a Reflectix based cover made just for the entry door in RVs that uses Velcro to attach and detach.

Problem is that the adhesive does not go well with Texas summer heat, and it fell off. I might go with a stronger Velcro (or at least stronger adhesive backing.)

Use the 3M "trim adhesive tape" with the red covering and you won't have problems with temperature extremes.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Camco sells a Reflectix based cover made just for the entry door in RVs that uses Velcro to attach and detach.

Problem is that the adhesive does not go well with Texas summer heat, and it fell off. I might go with a stronger Velcro (or at least stronger adhesive backing.)

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
My sister made a cover out of light blocking drapery material with velcro .

You could use light filtering material as well.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Spray tint or even paint? I have spray painted garage windows white, they still let in some light.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at what DW did for our door. Easy, cheap, works well, contact me for more details

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

AdirondackJack
Explorer
Explorer
Check for "Window cling film" on amazon.com for many kinds. Non-adhesive, easy to cut and easily moved around or taken on/off. You can also find it sometimes at the larger flea markets.
2011 Excel 30RSO, 32', 3 slides, 4-Season 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty, 6.2L V8, 385hp

Exploring & writing about life along the Snowbird RV Routes

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced mine with THIS,you can see out and it is tinted and at night I have a rolled shade that pulls down over it, best of both worlds.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
BillyandKris wrote:
Lots of light comes thru the fifth wheel entry door window. Cannot see out of it anyhow so would like to "darken" it somewhat. Have tried various things such as curtain at times you don't want lots of light coming in and not satisfied. Do not want to put the foil type thing on it, but may have to. Have seen some campers with a decorative sort of something or other in the window like stained glass or etched glass. Where do you get things like that? Looked on Camping World and didn't see anything like that. Any suggestions welcomed. I wish they just came with smoke colored glass!!

our MH has a residential style window shade over the entry door. works very well keeping light out.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go to Home Depot/Lowes and stroll around the window blinds area.

They have vinyl type window coverings that you cut to fit and apply....like window tinting material.

Lots of designs.

OR you could remove window and have a replacement glass cut in dark tint to fit frame then reinstall. Easy DIY project.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Window tint film would be my first suggestion. You might also search out a sign shop and try to find a vinyl picture you like.