cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EZ Pass issues

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back from our cross country trip from RI to South Dakota. Our ez pass worked sometimes and other times we would get a yellow light stating to contact EZ pass. Other times we would stuck at the gate until a attendant came over and verified the transponder # etc.. on the way back to RI we got caught again behind a gate after crossing a bridge over the Hudson river in NY. The attendant came over asked for the actual transponder... I told her it was on the license plate and I could give her all the info from the official EZ pass paperwork that I had with me. She was a witch and stated that she had to have the actual transponder to verify it and that unless I had that to give her. I had to pay 5.00. I got ticked off and told her that I wasn't to take it off my plate, and that I had EZ Pass so I wouldn't have to pay with $$ she just said that I couldn't leave unless I paid.... Which I did, and got a receipt. I called ri EZ pass, and told that they didn't know why acted like that, and that maybe I needed a roof mounted transponder. Funny thing is that while up on the roof recently, I noticed two strips of what looked like double sided tape right on the top front of the front cap. I'm thinking the previous owner had the roof mounted transponder
Proud father of a US Marine
41 REPLIES 41

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
I had a problem with the overhang and lowered the sensor a couple of inches on the windshield and it has not had a bad reading since.

Before I solved the problem I found out NY was good about fixing bad readings with a call to an 800 number. PA on the other hand wanted all kinds of paperwork and proof for 75 cents.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
okhmbldr wrote:
Why don't you attach the EZ pass to the window in the overhang above your cab. It should be easy for the reader to catch it in that position.

Luckily, my coach doesn't have a front window, it's got a fiberglass cap

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
Why don't you attach the EZ pass to the window in the overhang above your cab. It should be easy for the reader to catch it in that position.

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Call EZ pass with your pass info. Mine was called in because battery was going pass useful life. They are not replaceable, needed a new EZ pass in my case.
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
suprz wrote:
We usually try and avoid NY all together and go around or under the state

How do you get in or out of New England without going through New York? Ferry? Through Canada? That's a long way around from Rhode Island. ๐Ÿ™‚

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
suprz wrote:
PRodacy wrote:
Not exactly sure what an EZ pass is, but it's obvious that I'm glad that we do 't have them.

Be glad you don't! A lot of the eastern states have tolls on their interstates. Of course they tell you that the money goes towards fixing the roads.... Not according to what I have seen! Someone is getting rich... ๐Ÿ˜ž

Toll roads are certainly not unique to the eastern states. CA, CO, KS, MN, OK, TX, and WA all have their share of tolls as well.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
PRodacy wrote:
Not exactly sure what an EZ pass is, but it's obvious that I'm glad that we do 't have them.

Be glad you don't! A lot of the eastern states have tolls on their interstates. Of course they tell you that the money goes towards fixing the roads.... Not according to what I have seen! Someone is getting rich... ๐Ÿ˜ž

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
mcc272 wrote:
On the NY Thruway, as mentioned, height and axles are important. If you run a truck camper, that is to be charged as low since the TC is considered removable cargo. I don't use EZ Pass on the Thruway so I can confirm that I got a low ticket. The toll is more than twice a low toll if I were to get a high ticket by mistake.
go through a booth with an attendant. And verify 4low. I had a roof Carrier on the Jeep, and always verified.

I didn't know any of this. Should I head up that way I'll definitely to to a booth with an attendant.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

cchristanis
Explorer
Explorer
It's just a little electronic tag that you put on your car/bike somewhere. It allows you to go through toll booths without stopping. It gets charged to your credit card account

PRodacy
Explorer
Explorer
2012 GMC 3500 dually 4x4
2006 OKanagan 90W
2003 Jeep Rubicon, modified for off road performance

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
mcc272 wrote:
On the NY Thruway, as mentioned, height and axles are important. If you run a truck camper, that is to be charged as low since the TC is considered removable cargo. I don't use EZ Pass on the Thruway so I can confirm that I got a low ticket. The toll is more than twice a low toll if I were to get a high ticket by mistake.
go through a booth with an attendant. And verify 4low. I had a roof Carrier on the Jeep, and always verified.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

mcc272
Explorer
Explorer
mcc272
2013 F350, Crew, 4x4, Diesel, DRW
2019 Airstream International Serenity 25 FBT

gheicher
Explorer
Explorer
My NY E-ZPass online Transponder List states under Vehicle Class "2Ax:Automobile/ Sport Utility(maybe trailer)". I never told them I tow a trailer but guess they picked up on it counting axles when towing.

cchristanis
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah they automatically give me the 4h that it shows on the application. So, I guess I am getting billed right (which is a scam). That's with the white tag. I never changed the tag from my last truck either. I just edited the info on my account. Thanks though