Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fading Headlight Lenses

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

Just a blurb on clearing up faded headlight lenses. Got a tip (third hand) that toothpaste rubbed over the plexiglass lenses will clear up the fading.

For what it's worth, there it is.

Regards,
๐Ÿ™‚
Ray
28 REPLIES 28

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty informative article about headlight cleaning.
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Headlight-Cleaner-Exposed-Do-they-Work-/10000000004069698/g.html

I give all the lenses a good coat of wax several times a year, so far it has kept them in good shape.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've never tried it on headlights but I tried it on a plastic flashlight lens, for some reason, a long time ago. It turned it rough and about as opaque as possible.
Those polishing kits for all the plastic headlights work, depending on who uses it. Auto dealer just uses some polish on a buffer.
But...They use some coating on the headlights according to Body Shop Manager and when you polish it it is gone. What can you do if the things are so bad you can't see the road inf front of you.

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
Red Max Pro #3

http://www.rv.net/CFORUM/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25818736.cfm
2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
What is RMP 3? I can't find it.

OnaQuest
Explorer
Explorer
After using your choice of abrasive cleaners or methods to clear up the lenses, apply a coat or two of RMP3. Works wonders, and lasts a good long time.

I've done it on my Honda Accord, but not the MH yet, because I don't drive it at night.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I had an old Mercury that had oxidized and pitted headlights. I used a very fine sandpaper. I used three different grits ending with a very fine polish.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer

Very happy with this stuff
Full timing it since July 2012

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I used Awesome general cleaner. It's a liquid in a spray bottle. Seems a lot of the yellowing is just dirt and grease. It did not remove all of it, but it got enough that the lights are bright again. Just spray it on and rub it with a coarse towel. Works good on all kinds of stuff, and it's only a buck at the dollar store.

alcaracu
Explorer
Explorer
tooth paste worked for me on my wife's 14 yr old sportage, al c.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
B.O. Plenty wrote:
.Try fine (white) rubbing compound. It will work but it won't stay clear very long. Best to find some new replacements on E-Bay and just replace them...

B.O.

They don't stay clear because the UV protection on the surface of the lens has been buffed off.

If you give them a coat of clear coat automotive paint they will stay clear a very long time.

I did my F-350 lights about 4 or 5 years ago and they haven't started to haze up yet.

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
White toothpaste rubbed on with a soft cloth cleaned my faded Corolla lenses in a matter of minutes. Very little effort needed.
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
T P :B works great on my MH. :B
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
My lights turn yellow all the way thru the plastic so surface treatment does no goo. I don't mind the yellow because I installed HID lights and being dimmer is not something I mind and am sure others don't either.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Toothpaste has a VERY mild abrasive in it. If you rub toothpaste on them for a week or so you might notice a change..might not...Try fine (white) rubbing compound. It will work but it won't stay clear very long. Best to find some new replacements on E-Bay and just replace them...

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS